1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bede03: Rodina Rising: Civ3v1.29-Honorable Diety

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Bede, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I like Denyd's plan. Quick strike when peace is up. Grab three cities and see how it goes.

I think a GL capture in the long run maybe some thing to think about, but pulling that off will be difficult.

2. Ankka

Ankka Deity

We can always just try and capture a few cities from Lizzy, get techs for peace, wait until peace is over, attack again, get techs for peace...

3. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

Crap.

I cant find my Civ III CD and I'm notably lacking in a certain VCD named Civ3.

Gotta skip me one more turn :(.

4. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I think that means I'm up. So... I have it.

5. Bede

Bede Deity

@Bugs, don't forget that RBCiv Honorable means no wars of aggression, though the way Liz has been acting I don't think it will be a problem.

6. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Pre-flight – 850 AD – MM a bit. Whoever settled the city to grab the spices from England. That was a brilliant move. :thumbsup:

Eleven turns left on deals with England. I’ll be setting up the next player for an attack.
    Everyone is wearing their IA garb.

Early - Found Bedekov.
    St Pete: sword=>sword
    Smolensk: market=>aqueduct
    Yukon: barracks=>horse
    Moscow: temple=>court
    Babs build Magellan’s

Middle – I distribute cats to all our frontline cities. Clearing the jungle.
    Three Shocks: HE=>sword
    Aztecs build Shake’s

Late - Hammi demands TM & 28G. I give in.
    I buy Engineering from Hiawatha for 190G, 14 gpt & WM
    Three Shocks: sword=>sword=>sword
    Minsk: marker=>aqueduct
    Yukon: archer=>horse
    Sverdlovsk: temple=>court
    Bab’s build Newton’s

After action – I would leave the jungle where I have the red lines. That will slow down any English knight attacks. We don’t have enough units to launch an attack yet. Our attack force is in Riga, with some defensive forces spread to Rostov, Krasnoy, and Azkaban.

SITREP

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Bede3,950AD.SAV

7. Bede

Bede Deity

Roster check:
    Bede - up
    Ankka - on deck
    denyd
    RowandLive
    Hajime - skipped
    Sir Bugsy - played

Guess I got it.

8. Bede

Bede Deity

Russia is mired in Despotism, and researching Feudalism. The rest of the world has learned from Locke, Burke and Jefferson and become Democrats.

The workers of England have exchanged their peasant's tunics for galluses and overalls, ours still dress like Pharaoh’s slaves. The cities and towns of England sprout smokestacks while Russian swordsmen and spear carrying horsemen are cowering in their round towers.

Like all under developed nations we are exporting our trade goods for not enough money.

I can trade silks and spices to the Aztecs for 37g+11gpt and their territory map. Done. Not that the map helps much. Trade the 30g from the Aztecs for America's territory map which when added to our map collection proves to be worthless, but at least we know more than we did before. Then trade the rest of the treasury plus 1gpt for Babylon's Territory Map and at last we have a full picture of the world.

Whip the library at Dover to eliminate one more Englishwoman.

The peace treaty with its payment of tribute to England expires next. I won't re-up even though that puts us in a defensive posture (Honorable Rules).

As expected Liz wants to renew the Peace Treaty.....review Bugs' log and re-up. There is no tribute component and I don’t want to be locked in a defensive only battle.

970AD
    Recon reveals that England has a rifleman in York....

980AD
    My concern about Honorable Warfare is resolved when Liz sneak attacks us. And the Englishmen left in Hastings riot in celebration.

An English knight attacks Rostov and kills a swordsman but is left on the grasslands.

990AD
    Counter attack at Rostov with cats and elite horseman. Horsemen kills the knight but fails to promote.

Fail to dislodge the forces threatening Krasnoyarsk and Rostov. Hunker down and await developments.

English cavalry emerge from Newcastle but fail to take Riga.

1000AD
    Retreat an English knight at Rostov and discover three longbows, a knight and a musket inbound from Newcastle.

Still hunkered down.

English cavalry burn Moscow.

1010AD
    Rebuild Moscow with settler at Riga. Border towns start walls. Open an embassy with the Iroquois and ask for their assistance. They agree for the price of Incense, 25g+6gpt and our worthless World Map.

Frontline cities withstand English cavalry but three swordsmen are killed.

1020AD
    Selling incense to the Iro causes a few riots. Renew the horse deal with Aztecs

Riga is not going to hold for long.

1030AD
    We are holding our own.

Open an embassy with America and discover an English speaking peoples mutual protection pact.

Aztecs demand 9g. Pay it.

English longbows overcome the defense at Moscow and burn it, again.

Riga however stands and gets its walls.

1040AD
    Riga falls despite its walls.

1050AD
    Hanging on by a thread (silk).

Cover the silk road with a spear and a sword and much as I hate to do it whip walls at Tblisi.

The labor force has been evacuated to the north, probably a mistake as some could have been used to build fortresses in the south but I really didn’t want to lose them to English cavalry. If we can't protect the silks road, our trading reputation is trashed....

9. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

:eek: I think that smell is the kimshi that we're in up to our eyebrows.

10. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Uh-oh... this is even worse than in my plain deity game... but it wasn't honorable. We had muskets against infantry there, IIRC...

I guess I'm up? Got it if so.

11. Ankka

Ankka Deity

1050AD [Preturn]: The situation isn't too good... nope, not at all. swords and spears against catapaults, rifles and cavalries.

IBT: Lose a spear and sword.

1060AD [1]: Move some units.

IBT: Sword kills cav, cav kills sword.

1070AD [2]: Kill a musket and rifle, lose a sword.

IBT: Lose 2 swords in the open and one in Astrakhan, but an archer and horse in Kiev kill 2 cavs.

1080AD [3]: Kill a longbow.

IBT: Lose a sword in the open and in Astrakhan and a horse in Kiev.

1090AD [4]: Reinforce Kiev with an elite sword.

IBT: Lose a sword in Astrakhan. Lose the horse in Kiev. The sword in Kiev makes on cav retreat, but a second one is too much. We lose Kiev.

We lose another lux and some cities riot.

1100AD [5]: Lift luxtax.

IBT: We lose Hastings.
    The defences of Rostov kill a lb and cav, but then English cavs just pour in and we lose the city.

1110AD [6]: Not much to do.

IBT: No losses this turn.

1120AD [7]: Stack troops into Tblisi. If we lose it, we're doomed. It is the only place we can hold... or have a chance.

IBT: We almost lose Krasnoyarsk... and no way to reinforce.

1130AD [8]: Continue filling Tblisi.

IBT: We lose Krasnoyarsk.
    We lose Astrakhan..
    And Dover.

1140AD [9]: We lack everything.

IBT: We lose Bedekov.

Horror! The English have a cav army! :eek:

A spear in Tblisi takes about half of the hp away, then loses...

1150AD [10]: We might have a chance now that we're finally getting Feudalism.

And they say an image says more than a thousand words...

And the save to next better player... :ninja:

12. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

And the pit of kimshi grows deeper.

13. denyd

denyd Emperor

It looks like I'm next on the sled to oblivion.

I'll try to hold Tblisi and get peace with England as soon as the Iroquois deal runs out.

14. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Just hear those sleigh bells ringing
    Ting, ting tingling doom.
    Oh, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride
    that goes boom!

15. denyd

denyd Emperor

Turn Log 5

Turn 0 – 1150 AD – A smaller empire should be easier to manage – Where did all the catapults go? –Not much to do except hit return and pray.

IBT: Lose a spear & sword at Tbilisi chasing away a pair of cavalry (no kills) – Galley surives a MOW attack - Discover Feudalism research Invention – Three Shocks Sword->Pike – St Pete Cathedral->Pike – Sverdlorsk Court->Pike

Turn 1 – 1160 AD – Upgrade a spear to pike – 5 Swords & 1 Spear in Tblisi

IBT: Aztecs end spices deal and don’t want to make any others

Turn 2 – 1170 AD – Now have 3 Swords, 1 Pike & 1 Spear trying to hold Tblilsi – England will talk but only Tblisi gets peace

IBT: Lose 3 Swords & 1 spear in Tblisi – 2HP Elite pike all that’s left – A rifle & cavalry pass by Tblisi – Three Shocks pike->pike – St Pete pike-pike – Minsk pike->pike – Smolensk pike ->pike – Odessa pike->pike – Tblisi riots – Yakutsk sword->pike

Turn 3 – 1180 AD – Kill the trespassing Cavalry – with just a sword & pike there is no way to hold Tblisi – I’m pretty sure the 6gpt & incense we gave the Iroquois gained us nothing in this war and will cost us our reputation – Sign peace with England giving Tblisi

IBT: Sevastapol sword->pike – Yukon pike->pike

Turn 4 – 1190 AD – Switch Three Shocks to Cathedral – Sign a straight up peace with America – Change a couple city builds to walls

IBT: St Pete Settler->Pikeman

Turn 5 – 1200 AD – Move to shore up defenses in the south

IBT: England & America sign MPP – Sverdlovsk walls->pike – Vladivostok walls->market – English start Universal Suffrage

Turn 6 – 1210 AD – I merged about 10 workers into cities to remove units cost and boost income – Moving defenders south – Trade extra horses + 4gpt to Iroquois for Dyes

IBT: Cave to English demand for TM + 21g – St Pete Pike->Pike – Minsk Pike->Cathedral – Smolensk pike->cathedral

Turn 7 – 1220 AD – Galley trying to get home – More Pikes heading south

IBT: Odessa pike->walls – Yukon walls->galley

Turn 8 – 1230 AD – Galley survives first turn at sea – Galley in Novgord is in case we decide to try and grab silks – Trade WM + 118g + 28gpt to England for Invention – Research Gunpowder – Hopefully the gpt to England will buy us 20 more turns of peace

IBT: St Pete pike-LB

Turn 9 – 1240 AD – Galley doesn’t make it - nothing else new

IBT: Trade WM to Iroquois for TM + 35g – Sevastapol pike->aqueduct

Turn 10 – 1250 AD – Most southern towns have the maximum defense we can afford

Not much to say about this one – we’re nearly an age behind on an island with the #1 tribe and nearly four techs (probably 100+ turns) from a viable offensive unit (the Cossack) – I’m not sure there’s much point in continuing, but I’ll stick around if everyone else is interested. The only map change since last one posted is Tbilisi is now orange. Probably the only positive for this turn set is we're now at peace losing only one more city, have feudalism & invention, now have 3 luxuries and a large gpt deal with England (hoping that'll deter her from attacking). Of course we're still just barely hanging, but at least we're ahead of the Aztecs & Iroquois.

16. Bede

Bede Deity

Looks like I boobed it again.....first the Great Library and then the deal with the Iro. :wallbash: (Need a panic button smiley).

As I am plumb out of hats and rabbits my vote is with denyd.

Team?

17. Ankka

Ankka Deity

This looks bad... and those cats where lost because I had no way of getting them to the mainland since English units where between Tblisi and the Eastern cities all the time... so we lost them.

If this was a personal game of mine, I would have quit when I noticed I lacked the Great Library.... :rolleyes:

18. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

If the team feels this is beyond our reach, I have no problem with conceding defeat.

The original 1.29f Deity is very tough. I'm about to try GOTM 37 and and I'm preparing some padding for my butt.

19. Bede

Bede Deity

I think I count four of six for "bloody and bowed".

So let's move on. Sorry guys, game over.

20. denyd

denyd Emperor

The only chance I can see is to build a bunch of galleys, load them with swords, hope most survive the crossing and take the GL from the Aztecs. That's a faint hope at best. So I've got to agree with moving on.