Beginner here - How can I stop civil disruption?

justin0820

Chieftain
I'm new to this game. Could anyone tell me how to stop civil disruption? I used to think warriors or any fighter fortified there would stop it, but around 10 were in a city and there was still disruption. Any tips? Thanks.

You have to get more happy citizens than unhappy citizens. During despotism and monarchy military police in the city will reduce unhappiness. Luxuries will work in any government. Temples, cathedrals and colloseums make citizens happy. Many great wonders also influence the behaviour of citizens (sistine chapel, oracle, hanging gardens, bachs cathedral). Market places in combination with luxuries are excellent.
You can also move the luxury slider.
Rush building in despotism makes people unhappy.

Don't forget Entertainers. If you only have 1 or 2 cities out of 10 that are disruptive, an entertainer might be far more cost-effective.

And I _think_ that only 2 military police are usable in cities under size 6 in Despotism/Monarchy. 3 from 7-12 and 4 for 13+. I _think_.

Actually, it's based on the government form. 2 for despotism, 3 for monarchy, and 4 for communism. Republics and democracies get none at all of course, but then they get the increased trade anyway which can be put into luxuries if you're desperate.

If one of my towns falls to civil disorder, all i do is change the unhappy citizens to entertainers (unless it makes the city suffer famine). If the disorder doesn't stop after 2 or three turns after I do that (it usually does) I send a few military units to help the situation. Remember that during times of Anarchy, you will experience alot of civil disorder.

try contacting the govenor (mouse over city, right click) and having them 'manage citizen moods' for all your cities. This will keep them from rioting in the short term, but you'll still need to build those happiness producing enhancements + wonders. otherwise, the governor will have to produce too many entertainers to keep the population happy, and the city will starve.

Top Bottom