Beginners guide?

Alpha0meqa

Chieftain
Hello all,

I've played civ for a long time, not very much but I used to play a lot. Just picked up Civ5. I've never ever been any good at civ but I'd like to try.

1. Is there a guide for the worst player in the world(me)? Like a total newb guide?

2. What civ should I pick for someone who stinks :)

3. Any tips/websites I should read or look into? I just want to be good at this game and win one!

P.s I've had this acct on here for quite awhile, apparently my last login was Feb 14 2008 haha. I'm an old schooler! Help me out please !!!

Thanks in advance!!! <3

Hello all,

I've played civ for a long time, not very much but I used to play a lot. Just picked up Civ5. I've never ever been any good at civ but I'd like to try.

1. Is there a guide for the worst player in the world(me)? Like a total newb guide?

2. What civ should I pick for someone who stinks :)

3. Any tips/websites I should read or look into? I just want to be good at this game and win one!

P.s I've had this acct on here for quite awhile, apparently my last login was Feb 14 2008 haha. I'm an old schooler! Help me out please !!!

Thanks in advance!!! <3

Play a Settler difficulty, Huge size, Standard pace, Continents map, with a random leader
And read everything that pops up
I hadn't ever played any game of any kind, and so learnt I in like 2 days how everything worked

There was a really nice guy over on YouTube who was making great tutorial videos, but unfortunately especially after the last expansion they are outdated and don't touch upon the systems that have been added by G+K. Still, it might be a nice starting point I guess. Otherwise I think one could learn a lot just by watching lots of Let's Plays :)

Go for the Let's Plays! And watch an entire game. It made me love this game alot. It is the best way to learn for us noobies. :) Good luck.

Thanks for the post Andulias. I found the nice guy over on YouTube to be very helpful!

Go for the Let's Plays! And watch an entire game. It made me love this game alot. It is the best way to learn for us noobies. :) Good luck.

I also recommend this as well. I'm pretty much a noob compared to the people on the forums, but I've gotten massively better at playing the game with advices from people around here, whenever I had some random questions, and watching Lets Plays when I am on my way to and from work.

Go for let's plays by quill18, very nice vids. I learned the game from misterciv5 on YouTube, also great vids. Once you learn the basics, just play, a lot. You'll start to figure things out and you'll develop you own strategy...

I noticed that in lower difficulties, you can't practice diplomacy through trade with the AI, as they won't have the money to buy your stuff. Use this as a practice on how to deal with barbs (Prince difficulty onwards, barbarian aggression never changes) and how to field a repectable army in a few turns. Here's why:

On higher difficulties (King onwards), AI's start with extra units. An example would be they already have Scouts while you're still building yours. The upside to this is that they can accumulate a lot of gold early. Upon finding spare lux's, you can start trading. That money can go to rushbuying units and buildings. Though mostly, it would be units, since the AI will be more aggressive because of an early military advantage.

Youl find that the difficulty level post prince isnt necesarily harder just because on King and above the A.I is always pretty much loaded with gold, which means they always have money for you, which means eight simeoultaneous RA's ext ext.

Top Bottom