1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginning Movie Question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ScarFace1781, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ScarFace1781

ScarFace1781 Chieftain

Hello all,

My question is in regards to the intro movie. Is there any reason why it doesn't stop playing after I've hit practically every key? Upon every start up I am forced to watch at least 10 seconds of it prior to it stopping and allowing me to go the menu screen. Is there a special key you have to hit to stop it immediately or what? Please help as this is very annoying.

Also its NOT my system either as it runs the game on full settings no problem.

my rig:
    Q6600 - 2.4 quad core
    Asus P5W 64 WS PRO
    8 gigs of ocz DDR 3 1333 ram
    Raedon 3870 X2

2. xxxlambo

xxxlambo Chieftain

I believe the game is loading in the background and once it is done loading the movie is then interrupted. In one of the .ini files I turned the movie off and instead of seeing a few seconds of the movie now I see a black screen for a few seconds before the menu,

3. BrianSpiller

BrianSpiller Chieftain

It's acting as a load screen, so you can't skip until it has finished loading. You can turn off the intro movie in an ini file though.

Navigate to My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Usersettings.ini

Set "SkipIntroVideo = 0" to "SkipIntroVideo = 1"

4. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

For me it'll only skip right around the time the old man asks if they've finished setting up the encampment. That's about how long it's taking to load..

5. zonk

zonk Prince

Along the same lines and understanding there's a simple INI change you can make to disable it...

Has anyone experienced this:

Regardless of whether I let the movie play through or ESC out of it at the beginning and just wait for the game to finish loading, I get a black screen... and it just stays black, even though I can hear the music change to the point of the ESRB(whatever) notice about ratings (meaning, game as finished loading).

I alt+tab to the desktop and back a few times and it invariably "pops" -- but then -- I have to click "Continue" via the Vista alt+tab "mini-windows" to continue... I.e. if I just alt+tab back over to the continue screen, it goes black again.

It's a real pain... I've never been completely locked out -- clicking "next" via the alt+tab mini-windows invariably works -- but it's just so hackneyed that I have to do this every time.

6. Just Checking

Just Checking Chieftain

The game is loading while the into plays, it's the equivalent of a drab loading screen in any other game.
    You can remove the intro via the .ini files but you'll just get a blank screen instead while the game loads.

Nothing you can do about it, for me it's better than a loading bar cause i find the way the old man says 'lush' funny. But that's probably just me.

7. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

I just wanted to chime in to say that this was probably the most well produced opening movie in the Civ series.

Shame they didn't put much effort into the ending.

8. gunter

gunter King

Also wonders movies are dramatically and outrageously missing

9. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

Don't mind the missing wonder movies. You watch them once and they get annoying right in the middle of game play, so you end up skipping them.

10. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

And let me add, what really bugged me about Civ IV wonder movies was that if you build a rare wonder and forgot exactly what it does, you have to wait until the end of the movie to see the actual effects.

11. gunter

gunter King

I was used to watch them every single time I built them, to relax and breathe.

I have seen the Civ 2 Hoover Dam at least 1500 times many years ago.

12. Dusk

Dusk Prince

I imagine skipping the movie and checking the info would be faster.

13. BrianSpiller

BrianSpiller Chieftain

If I recall correctly, you can click on the movie while it is playing to make the info pop up.

14. Caesar of Rome

Caesar of Rome Chieftain

This is my experience every time I try to play.

15. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Enter cuts it short. Alt-Enter should also work. ;)

16. Herrhals

Herrhals Warlord

what button does one push?
    I hit random buttons (esc, space, ctrl, alt), but none of them work and then my game freezes on loading because of something something. When I then shut down the game, a cinematic still is still on in the background.

17. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Merged threads

18. Herrhals

Herrhals Warlord

Thanks you guys. Going into the userdata file and changing it helped. Thx!

19. shenryyr

shenryyr serval

did as with all games, made a single frame video of all-black with same resolution as my desktop and replaced civ's intro video file. this will work for any game that doesn't let you simply toggle it off.

20. Caesar of Rome

Caesar of Rome Chieftain

I found and installed an update for my graphics card. (Optional on windows update.) nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT I have supressed the movie and have a blank screen until a continue page. (Not very long.) The game no longer hangs at the start with me having had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del twice to access the continue window.