1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginning on Emperor moving up to Immortal

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gasp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gasp

Gasp Chieftain

Thanks for checking Gumbolt.

For Kufah we decided here that we don't need these fur soon. We now have a religion and Monarchy is going to be for trade in the next turns. I have MC to trade for it so I'm not concerned by happiness. I'll build a few warriors once I have Monarchy.
    I agree with this Corn location, I'll sit on it. I could use a city in between Kufah and Basra just to avoid Willie to settle here perhaps where my axe is on that hill. What do you think how useful this is?

I don't plan to rush now and i don't know how is that even possible? I'll scout Mayans very soon. Diplomacy with Pascal depends very much on my future war plans. Willie is for sure an easy target but I have good relationship with him and Cyrus. Attacking one will damage that. Not sure if it is wise to turn against my judaist brothers when my eastern neighbors are more dangerous. Pascal is more far and will be tougher... not sure with what units I should attack here. Cats+axe/swords can be built soon but I won't have a military advantage so I should aim for better I guess.

Hence I'm not sure where to go. Could be that researching Math was a mistake and I should have researched Construction instead.
    Mecca's fisrt GS will build an Academy. So no bulb for a while. I could maybe go towards CoL and CS then switch to Caste and Bureau. This should be a helpful boost with so many extra food. I could bulb Machinery and research Guilds when I'm there.

I'd like to read some strategy plans here because I need some ideas ;)

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Good point on trading for monarchy. Which Toku already has and would trade at pleased! Getting Toku to pleased here would resolve a lot of happiness issues here if he will trade monarchy. Seems almost impossible at present.

I would still complete maths at this stage. Good trading chip. Leads to calendar which could help. Currency/calendar long term.

Ducth still only have 3 cities. Their capital would make a great bureau capital. However war also feels wrong due to your economy. Early rushes normally involve 3-4 cities in a break out situation which you don't have here. You already have 7 cities. If you build the filler city this could crush your economy. A pure axe rush here could be expensive. Your cities are struggling for happiness here. Ducth have copper and horse.

So capital focus. It could run 7-9 cottageable tiles. If you include river plains tiles. At present it has 1 cottage.
    Basra could run 2 cottages on those grassland rivers. (Basra growth here is a big issue. Plus no cottages to run.)
    Medina can run the grassland river tile as a cottage too. Albeit it leave the capital running hammer tiles in short term. Long term you could move it?

You do have alphabet. Some research in your capital could not hurt here to push science while you build some cottages? It can run all the big production tiles for 15 research a turn.That or a 3 turn worker. 2x food resource and 2x copper. Not a bad option given at happiness cap.

You have 5 workers for 7 cities. With a compact empire that could be good. Not so great here. Increase this by 2-3 more. Once you have maths consider whipping/chopping some more workers. Slow build in Damasacus at size 4? As above for your capital.

Early forges here do little for you. You have no gold, silver or gems for happiness. Your empire is not screaming for production here. The barracks too were a mistake.

So your best bet now could be focusing on the economy. Get some cottages up on the best tiles such as flood plains. Get a granary and monument up in Kufah and start some cottages here. Same for Basra. It needs that sheep asap. use chops for basra. Ttry to trade for monarchy. Once happiness improves grow cities. Calendar or currency after maths.

Try to run 2 scientists somewhere long term for a GS. Not 100% sure on academy.

Forget the filler city.

Gasp likes this.
  3. Gasp

Gasp Chieftain

Another session in 2 times until T99.
    Spoiler To T93 :

T82
    Baghdad does a Madrassa until size 4
    Mecca, Medina and Damascus do Research
    Give Pig to Pascal
    T83
    Mecca does a worker

T86
    Have Math this turn
    Worker is out in Mecca and cottage around
    a worker starts 1 chop for Kufah
    Mecca does Research
    Damascus does a worker (5T)
    T87
    Research set to Construction (at 0% now) (mistake)
    Mecca runs 2 scientists
    Baghdad whips a Granary
    T88
    Research set to Currency… (at 0% now)
    Cyrus has Monarchy for trade. I give him MC for it. Switch to HR
    Kufah whips a Monument and get a chop
    Damas whips a worker
    Mecca and Medina work max food for growth and do a warrior

T91
    We meet Huayna Capac

I’m doing a few warriors for happiness then I’ll do research to push Currency. I also want another worker very soon.
    We improved a lot our economy since we're able to grow cities bigger. With time it's going to pay. Pigs and sheep are going to be workable very soon to improve our last 2 cities.
    Spoiler Arabians land :
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-07 à 21.36.11.png

Spoiler stats and techs :
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-07 à 21.34.55.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-07 à 21.38.20.png

Spoiler to T99 :

I didn't keep track of everything these last turns but mainly I built warriors and research, my workers improve a lot of cottageable tiles, chop when needed. You can see the difference through the Stats screen.
    Spoiler Land at T99 :
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-08 à 11.05.25.png

Spoiler Stats & Techs :
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-08 à 11.07.18 1.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-08 à 11.06.43.png

If everything goes on like this I have a GS in 5 turns. We have to find a use for him.
    We do 125 bpt at 100% now. We got Currency last turn. Gumbolt suggested Currency or Calendar so I could now go with Calendar. Not sure if it's worth researching it now or wait for a trade?
    I'm rather thinking to get CoL in like 5T then bulb Philo with my GS. And then beeline Guilds for my UU maybe.
    Is that a good plan?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Are you planning to attack Willem any time soon? If not begging his 90 gold looks good. Halves calendar time. 30 gold for priesthood from Incans looks good too. Use your techs for gold here. A beg from persians for gold would be nice at some point. 10G is not enough.

I would of preferred Damascus for scientists albeit I can see how the GP points make this less appealing. A great priest would not of helped. An academy will currently provide you 15 science a turn in your capital. A second great person from Damascus would not hurt for a golden age.

Kufah needs to be building pasture on the pigs. Food for growth is important. Kufah warrior could return back to capital.

Now you have currency cities should be running wealth. 5-6 turns for calendar.

Your capital needs to grow to reach happiness cap. Then run all those cottages. It gains 25% from your madras.

Start thinking about how to prepare your calendar resources too. Roads etc.

Too tired to really put too much thought into this game. Need to think what direction you are taking here.

5. Gasp

Gasp Chieftain

Thank you Gumbolt for your answer

Oups I realize I never sent what I wrote a few days ago!

Begging for gold is a good tip I should use more often. So I will try do it when I can for the next turns. I take you advice for the Academy in Mecca also. And I'll try to grow many cottages to boost research.

I want to have a military advantage here. I thought that adopting buddhism to befriend Pascal and attack Willem seems like a fun option. If my "status" remains the same Pascal and Sury will attack me at some point. I'm their worst enemy and I don't like that. Now Pascal could be bribed to join in and become friendly. He'll be a good trading partner and won't take any cities. I expect Sury to be at least Pleased, worse case scenario he will eventually address a DOW to me. Could I have enough units to counter his stack when he attacks. Maybe I'll have to cease fire with Willem? All depends on when I have my army ready.

Calendar yes. Aim for CS after?
    Not sure here what tech path to take with this plan? I need a military tech I think.

6. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Religion is a double edged sword. Adopting a religion normally upsets 2-3 AI and pleases 2-3 others. At present I would worry about the neighbours. if any other Ai goes fist mode it will be a long time off.

For an attack this late you would want pults. Willem could be on way to fuedalism. Pends what tech path he chooses. pults and axes vs lb would not be ideal.

Maybe a traditional cuirs rush here. Too late for most rushes. You lack roads to get 1mp units quickly to Willem.

Cal/col then CS. This leads to edu bulb path. Ai will tech fued for you.

7. Gasp

Gasp Chieftain

I was thinking that catapults won't be enough. And I liked my plan to switch religion so I did it and played until T150... in 2 times (to T125 then 150).
    CoL and CS seem nice to research as you said for edu bulb path. Another path I had in mind was Guild for my UU. One problem with CA is that we need archery and especially HBR which AIs won't trade easily.

I planned a CA rush on Willem knowing my neighbors will have Feuda anyway by the time I can attack. It went ok. Researched Machinery after Calendar to beeline Guilds. On T125 I can build my CA army with whips and chops.
    What I did is take advantage of Persia and Dutch being pleased to trade and get gold. Then I switched to Buddhism and did the same with Pascal and Sury.
    I attacked Willem on with something like 10 CA (a bit more maybe). I took his northern cities and Utrecht right away. Then I went south to finish him off.
    His last city was in the middle of Cyrus empire. I took it on T149 and destroyed him. My plan is to give it to Cyrus to avoid war at the moment.
    During the attack Willem peace vassaled to Sury... Oh man! So much for getting him to Friendly... I was close to succeed. Fortunately i could bribe Pascal to declare on him (which makes me safe from any attack east).

Now I let you see my game. I had used the whip a lot (even in Mecca). And did the strict minimum with city management during war time. And haven't corrected anything before this post. So I guess you'll find many mistakes I did. Also I have to catch up with trades of techs and resources (and gold).

Spoiler This was on T125 :

*Note that this save is called t125 guilds because I did another game in parallel going for CoL and bulbing Philo
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.12.53.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.12.35.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.12.31.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.12.22.png

Spoiler This is T149 :
    Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.32.00 1.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.32.50.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.32.58.png Capture d’écran 2017-11-15 à 14.33.04.png

Attached Files:

8. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Not a big fan of what you have done here. If you wanted guilds you needed to beeline this.

CA are okay but unlike cuirs they are not gunpowder units. So when they see 100% castle defences they receive no discount. Where cuirs ignore castles and walls. Put a pikemen in a city with a castle and your Camel Archers odds will be horrible.

You need to be using great people. At present you are likely to get a great priest. To bulb edu and lib you would need 3 great scientists. No cities running scientists. Time for caste and spamming scientists. You need 3 GS here. Damascus might as well run a few anyway to help for golden age.

I think a Cuirs rush is still possible but ultimately you are many turns away from this. Phil, edu, nationalism and Lib for free MT.

You don't need to leave a CA in every city. Only put defenders where needed.If cities are happy leave undefended.

Persians have 11 GPT for trade. Incans 10GPT. Toku 6 GPT and Pascal 5 GPT? Why are you not trading resources for gold? Thats 33 GPT. Wow.

9. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Oh, nice, CA-rush. :) But looks like all AI have Engineering now. Pikes and Castles are pretty much the end for Knights.

Looks like the AI is slow this game, you shouldn't have any problems winning lib. Planning for MT?

They have 32 gpt available for trade. All of that should be heading your way, should have been a long time ago. As soon as you get currency your aim should be to constantly trade for all available gpt. Deals can be renegotiated every 10 turns, as they get more available gold for trade. You should also try to get hold of someone's map. Need more info about the world.

(Simultaneous x-post with Gumby :D)

10. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Timing to perfection!!! Similar thoughts too. :D

11. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Could also trade for Engi from Cyrus, and add some Trebs to those CA stacks ;)
    Would be fine for taking down Cyrus step by step.

Trading indeed looks like a weak point for you, since AIs get bonuses anyways you should always think "me first, dun care about their gains".
    Those gold per turn resi deals are much too good, and would help you greatly.

Another weak point seems to be unit control, all those warriors, axes, spears, archers lol..combined you pay 31gpt for them.

Trading makes all the difference between peoples who are fine with playing Imm (easy) and deity (harder), your slider should be 100% for at least 10 turns now (set such goals for yourself), and to make that happen look what you can do for gold.
    Besides selling those resis, how about the old Theo tech to Cyrus for maps and his gold?
    Then you could continue re-selling his maps maybe.
    Philo tech still offers much value here, only HC has it. Needed for Lib and / or Nationalism, could turn it back into gold probably too.

12. elmurcis

elmurcis Chieftain

Map buy up - sell to other actions is only real source of gold from AI in NTT games outside GM missions :D Resource sell and failgold like usual, ofcourse :D

13. Gasp

Gasp Chieftain

Hehe I was expecting these comments on lack of trade. For my defense I should mention that the only resources I could trade for gold a few turns ago were calendar ones and I needed them. Now it's a different story indeed I'll get these 32 (or 33) gpt!

@elitetroops CA rush was fun and effective :D
    My CA are pretty much obsolete now. I left them in cities just to be around in case Cyrus would DOW me. The idea was to use them on Willie. Perhaps they are still enough to take out Cyrus with Trebs as Fippy mentioned. Cyrus has good relationships with everybody though and another war now means teching slowly.

A plan is to switch to Caste and Pacifism as soon as I can get Philo and run a lot of GS to prepare a Cuir rush.
    So I switch to Caste System, run scientists where I can. Shall I also run Merchants ? and where ?
    I'm going to research Philo first I think. Then Nationalism. And bulb (at least partially) Edu to get to Lib faster. I didn't check but if I'm right I'll have a GS in Mecca very soon for that. I'm not sure how it works to bulb Lib. I may need Printing press first.