[R&F] Behind the scenes of the trailer

Interesting, still on the fence about whether the Amsterdam scene is really hinting at the Dutch being in the game.

there's also some flags in un like canada australia and maybe the in the middle is netherlands too (not to mention chile but i doubt it will be in the game if canada makes it too)? no color but i'd doubt it'd be luxembourg or something else. Also the complete story board is missing korea/plague scenes.
We can also see the canal more clearly, that could also be a hint.

Firaxis knowing its going to be Hannie Schaft

because of the many female leaders

Ok I looked her up. She was a resistance fighter, but not an actual leader/ruler of the Netherlands.

Well, if it's WWII in the trailer, wouldn't Queen Wilhelmina be the ruler? Or, according to Wikipedia, one of the prime ministers called Dirk Jan de Geer or Pieter Sjoerds Gerbrandy?

And people dare complain about Tribhuwannottunggadewi Jayawishnuwardhani.... The Dutch seem not that different : P

I just read this on Wikipedia about Queen Wilhelmina, and it actually makes her as a possible candidate for The Netherlands. I don't know all that much about her, but this segment could be tweaked to warrant some gameplay elements

Wilhelmina was well aware what was expected of her by the Dutch people and their elected representatives. At the same time, she was a strong-willed and forceful personality who spoke and acted her mind. These qualities showed up early in her reign when, at the age of 20, Queen Wilhelmina ordered a Dutch warship, HNLMS Gelderland, to South Africa to evacuate Paul Kruger, the embattled President of the Transvaal.
Wilhelmina had a stern dislike of the United Kingdom partly as a result of the annexation of the republics of Transvaal and Orange Free State in the Boer War. The Boers were descendants of early Dutch colonists, to whom Wilhelmina and the people of the Netherlands felt very closely linked. In conversation with her former governess Elisabeth Saxton Winter, she once teasingly referred to the Boer soldiers as "excellent shots". She was not amused to hear that a Dutch medical relief team was planning to accommodate the needs of both Boer and British wounded soldiers.[6] Nevertheless, in 1940, King George VI sent the warship HMS Hereward, to rescue Wilhelmina, her family and her Government and bring them to safety to the United Kingdom, which offered the Netherlands facilities including broadcasting time on the BBC.
Queen Wilhelmina also had a keen understanding of business matters and her investments made her the world's richest woman, as well as the world's first female billionaire (in United States dollars).
Before the First World War started, the young Wilhelmina visited the powerful German Emperor Wilhelm II. The Emperor thought he could impress the queen of a relatively small country by telling her, "My guards are seven feet tall and yours are only shoulder-high to them." Wilhelmina smiled politely and replied, "Quite true, Your Majesty, your guards are seven feet tall. But when we open our dikes, the water is ten feet deep!"

In relation to a new board game (Pandemic Rising Tide) I read up on the Hollandsche Waterlinie (pardon my spelling if it's wrong) and that could be a very interesting gameplay mechanic. It allowed the Dutch to flood parts of their country to stop invaders.

Last edited:
One of Civ 6's female leaders is going to have Golden/Dark age mechanics, and it's not Korea, so could be Dutch..

One of Civ 6's female leaders is going to have Golden/Dark age mechanics, and it's not Korea, so could be Dutch..
I can't find any really big "she" as Dutch leader. Tamar of Georgia would be better fit, actually. No jokes here.

I wouldn't like Wilhelmina. In my opinion, only William of Orange and maybe Johan of Oldebarneveldt or king William I would make good leaders. By the time Wilhelmina was queen, the monarch was simply a figurehead with no real power.

My favorite would probably be William I, also considering William of Orange has already been the leader in the past three incarnations. While you could dislike Wiliam I for refusing to accept Belgium's independence (thereby dragging on their independence war for nine years), he has worked a lot on Dutch infrastructure with canals, roads and the first railways and has allowed the Netherlands to enter the Industrial Era. If the Netherlands get a unique canal district, that would be another reason to add him, to be honest. For example, he ordered the "Noordhollandsch kanaal", which is a 75 kilometer canal dug so that ships heading for Amsterdam no longer had to travel through the Zuiderzee (literally "South Sea"), which was, in some parts, only possible at high tide.

(the history of the Zuiderzee is actually very interesting by the way; in Roman times, there was only a lake with no direct connection to the sea, but throughout the Middle Ages it increased in size because of storms, got a direct connection with the sea at some point (rather than a river flowing) and kept increasing in size until we started building dikes through it).

This Tamar thing annoys me. I'm affraid that the devs, in order to look cool and close to the community , put their time and money into this, instead of another more relevant civ.

Finally, did we know what the famous G & H letters had meant?

I like the theory that it meant "Great H" (as in, age).

Well, if it's WWII in the trailer, wouldn't Queen Wilhelmina be the ruler? Or, according to Wikipedia, one of the prime ministers called Dirk Jan de Geer or Pieter Sjoerds Gerbrandy?

And people dare complain about Tribhuwannottunggadewi Jayawishnuwardhani.... The Dutch seem not that different : P

I just read this on Wikipedia about Queen Wilhelmina, and it actually makes her as a possible candidate for The Netherlands. I don't know all that much about her, but this segment could be tweaked to warrant some gameplay elements

Wilhelmina was well aware what was expected of her by the Dutch people and their elected representatives. At the same time, she was a strong-willed and forceful personality who spoke and acted her mind. These qualities showed up early in her reign when, at the age of 20, Queen Wilhelmina ordered a Dutch warship, HNLMS Gelderland, to South Africa to evacuate Paul Kruger, the embattled President of the Transvaal.
Wilhelmina had a stern dislike of the United Kingdom partly as a result of the annexation of the republics of Transvaal and Orange Free State in the Boer War. The Boers were descendants of early Dutch colonists, to whom Wilhelmina and the people of the Netherlands felt very closely linked. In conversation with her former governess Elisabeth Saxton Winter, she once teasingly referred to the Boer soldiers as "excellent shots". She was not amused to hear that a Dutch medical relief team was planning to accommodate the needs of both Boer and British wounded soldiers.[6] Nevertheless, in 1940, King George VI sent the warship HMS Hereward, to rescue Wilhelmina, her family and her Government and bring them to safety to the United Kingdom, which offered the Netherlands facilities including broadcasting time on the BBC.
Queen Wilhelmina also had a keen understanding of business matters and her investments made her the world's richest woman, as well as the world's first female billionaire (in United States dollars).
Before the First World War started, the young Wilhelmina visited the powerful German Emperor Wilhelm II. The Emperor thought he could impress the queen of a relatively small country by telling her, "My guards are seven feet tall and yours are only shoulder-high to them." Wilhelmina smiled politely and replied, "Quite true, Your Majesty, your guards are seven feet tall. But when we open our dikes, the water is ten feet deep!"

In relation to a new board game (Pandemic Rising Tide) I read up on the Hollandsche Waterlinie (pardon my spelling if it's wrong) and that could be a very interesting gameplay mechanic. It allowed the Dutch to flood parts of their country to stop invaders.

Yeah, I didn't know much about Wilhelmina either, but she sounds like a cool old lady who isn't afraid to show her spine.

I think the resistance fighters, listening to a radio while examining a map of Amsterdam, might be a hint about Wilhelmina. She gave regular radio addresses encouraging the Dutch to resist while she was in exile.

I wonder if they made Victoria young so that Wilhelmina could be the distinguished old lady.

@Gedemo GH was just code letters for the expansion and didn't signify anything.

Are the Netherlands sure enough that we can start a "Netherlands Anticipation Thread", by the way? :p

No leaked images for another round of Leader Bingo? :(

Top Bottom