Being blocked from founding a religion is immersion-breaking. Thoughts?

matt94

Warlord
I was recently playing a game as the good elves (forgot name) and planned on founding Fellowship of Leaves. Another civ got it before me. I've always disliked this mechanic in civ4, but its particularly worse here. I can respect randomness and uncertainty that's within reason, but this just can't be justified from a roleplaying perspective. "We can't start worshiping fellowship of leaves because someone else on the other side of the world started worshiping it first" just doesn't feel very immersive.

Has anyone ever developed any civ4 mods that put forward an alternative approach to religion? Even if it wouldn't work within FFH or whatever, I'm just interested from a game-design perspective what other ideas people may have had.

Maybe, for example, each civ can automatically be assigned a single religion. They still have to research the specific tech to found the religion, but there would be no worries about another civ founding it first. Maybe this wouldn't be too hard even. Maybe just a bit of code lock specific religions to specific civs.

What do you all think? Would that be an interesting option for improving role-play and immersion? If it's not too complicated maybe I'll even try to learn how to mod and do it myself...

"We can't start worshiping fellowship of leaves because someone else on the other side of the world started worshiping it first" just doesn't feel very immersive.
That's not really true, in FfH you still get a missionary when researching a religion tech, regardless of whether you're first or not. You just don't get the holy city.

That's not really true, in FfH you still get a missionary when researching a religion tech, regardless of whether you're first or not. You just don't get the holy city.
This. Really if we want to talk immersion breaking better look at the fact that the AI tends to flipflop through religions all the time to an annoying degree.

Top Bottom