Being gay is a choice.

The fringe element is the liberal media and the blogosphere which is filled with hordes of never did nothings that obviously will beat the drum for free ponies as its easier than working a real job.

Where do you work again?

Perry wants to eliminate a number of federal agencies including some he hast trouble remembering, hack Washington with a wrecking ball and make Congress part-time. I can assure you these are all mainstream themes.

The fringe element is the liberal media and the blogosphere which is filled with hordes of never did nothings that obviously will beat the drum for free ponies as its easier than working a real job.

And this is with the thread how???

Perry wants to eliminate a number of federal agencies including some he hast trouble remembering, hack Washington with a wrecking ball and make Congress part-time. I can assure you these are all mainstream themes.

Congress is already part time, with legislators living at home attending fundraisers but flying in for key votes.

edit: Peter, you make a good point. I think if the non-fringe version of the popularly-hated identities step up quickly it will probably make things better. That or trigger a reactionary backlash of a terrifying scale. I realllllllly doubt that would happen, however. No reactionary backlash succeeds without the existing political elite's help even if it did occur. In the case of gay people, mass comings out would probably just make us all realize how many people we love and care about are this way. We're almost there, seeing just that, my Berkeley-tinted glasses tell me.

Where do you work again?

I started work at the age of ten, summers, for my father's construction firm, went to work at 16 at a cotton mill, working a 48 hour shift while I was in high school, skipped college to work for the family construction firm, started my own, then left that to go to work with a consulting firm. Then I started my own. (that leaves out a lot of other stuff, including working as a janitor during the Carter depression)

Today I manage my investments (mostly in residential rental property) and fondle my gold while also engaging in various forms of unregulated commerce.

Umm, also left out getting an computer tech degree in my spare time but that never amounted to a lot due to suffering a brain injury. There were a number of years there where I couldn't even remember a phone number.

That experience made me even more empathic towards those who face difficulties in life and even more determined to support the kinds of conservative market policies that enable the construction and maintenance of a society in which free people can
reach their full potential.

I also left out running a poker game in a prison, which was profitable, but that was only for a few years. Work brings dignity.

I also left out running a poker game in a prison, which was profitable, but that was only for a few years. Work brings dignity.

Even if this was true... forgive me but there is a chance that might be libel... what does it have to do with the thread?

And your tribled posted: in a debate section no less...

Huh? :confused:

Let's just say that for the sake of this thread, gay and homosexual means the same, that if I am either, I am only sexually attracted to my own sex.

And because it's really just a question about what an acceptable variation on sexuality is, I will assume that we're also talking bisexuals here, regardless of definition.

What's the point of defining it? Why is it central to the thread? (Asking as politely as possible here. :))

If gayness is about actions then it is choice whereas if it is about attractions then it isn't.

If gayness is about actions then it is choice whereas if it is about attractions then it isn't.

For the sake of this thread, the choice is assumed: One chooses both his attractions and actions, for whatever sense that might mean make.

EDIT: stuff

Well I think lord_joakim made it pretty clear on it being, for the purpose of this thread, about attraction. But whatever you believe about choice his question can stand: why should it be relevant whether it was a choice or not? I am curious about you opinion on that.

I would like to vouch that though I find MisterCooper's political economy views pretty wacky, I very much appreciate his overall personal story, articulated more fully elsewhere.

Oh, so thats why they never read the legislation they vote on?

Yeah that's part of it. Also because it's impossible. Still, they could do a lot better. Most of the legislation has to do with making it work with the rest of our legislation. We don't have too many laws, per se, although we could use a reset or major edits on a lot of things (tax code). We need more citizen based crowd sourcing. That would fix most of it.

Back to the discussion, if being gay was a choice, I would try it out full scale. I'm suited for it :p But since I'm not gay I'm really not interested. If we divorced early aggriculture morality from society, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Gay doesn't matter for tribes that have to be kept under 150 lest you use up all the animals and vegetables. It doesn't matter in a liberal capitalist society and won't matter in our coming post-capitalist, truly free market society, truly pro-individual-rights/liberties society. It did matter when power was measured purely in land and numbers of people... sort of. It did matter in pre-machine post-factory capitalism. It mattered in assembly line Fordist capitalism a little bit when gender roles and nuclear families were needed to care of assembly-line men after a long, hard, semi-dangerous monotonous day of work.

But we're past all of that, forever. And those times were putting the elite's collective (not even the true collective) before the freedom and prosperity of the individual anyway, so their moral norms can bug off.

Religion has been used as a proxy, it's not even the root of the problem.

I'm in the same boat. I am far more suited to the so-called gay lifestyle than I am the traditional monogamous heterosexual one. But there is simply no sexual attraction. If I had a choice I would be bisexual. But I don't.

Word. To be honest, I'm perfectly primed for monogamy. Polyamory with primaries makes intellectual and emotional sense but doesn't draw me. But yeah, being bisexual would be pretty awesome. Too bad I'm hardwired to just not :lol:

Oh, so thats why they never read the legislation they vote on?

No.

No single person is able to read most of the legislation that comes up for a vote. That's why there are staffers and a congressional research service. The elected representative is expected to rely on these people to accurately inform him or her on the content and implications of the proposals.

It's just like in any other affair: no single person is likely to have a clear, perfect understanding on every matter, so it's necessary to rely on assistance.

Did you really not understand this is how it works?

Homosexuality is gay.

I'm in the same boat. I am far more suited to the so-called gay lifestyle than I am the traditional monogamous heterosexual one. But there is simply no sexual attraction. If I had a choice I would be bisexual. But I don't.

Maybe you just havent met the right guy yet. Your comment reminds me of 'I love you Phillip Morris'....you never know when circumstances might lead you to your soul mate....

Maybe you just havent met the right guy yet. Your comment reminds me of 'I love you Phillip Morris'....you never know when circumstances might lead you to your soul mate....
Are you stating this from personal experience that heterosexuals who have no sexual interest in the same sex at any time in the past can suddenly change their preference? Or is this just another wacky "theory" about a subject you admit to knowing little or nothing about?

Being gay isn't fundamentally wrong, being publicly gay is wrong.

Human beings mimic behavior. If people are publicly gay, young impressionable minds will mimic this. This will reduce the birth rate and imperil society. This violates God's will: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

The more visible the gay lifestyle is, the more will adopt it. It threatens the survival of humanity. No one cares what people do in private. God grants free will, do as you please and accept the consequences as God requires.

Society should have severe consequences for open homosexuality and none for private behavior.

I do not care to judge what people do in their private lives. Let that be between them and God.

I don't know how I feel about any Gods that might exist, but I am absolutely not kowtowing to priests, theologians or their lackeys. Not now or ever.

Top Bottom