Being Patriotic Now Unamerican?

BvBPL

Pour Decision Maker
It's Mansfield v. Brockton in the Massachusetts high school division one south quarterfinals. Mansfield has been in the lead for the whole game. Brockton closes the gap, but it is too little, too late. Mansfield is up by five points, and its clear Brockton wouldn't beat them.

From the stands comes the chant "USA, USA," apparently started by Mansfield fans and supporters who came wearing red, white, and blue.

For Brockton HS alumnus Noube Rateau, the chant was a racially motivated slur. Mansfield is 94% white, Brockton is 47% white. Brockton is home to many immigrants, including the largest Cape Verdean population in the US.

However, Brockton's coach says he didn't notice anything bad about the chant at the time, and simply thought it was part of the Mansfield shtick.

Link to story.

Reprint of the story if the link doesn't work follows in spoiler.

Spoiler :
BROCKTON -- In the final minutes of the MIAA D-1 south section quarterfinal boys basketball game on Friday night, March 4, Brockton had cut their double-digit deficit to only five points, but the writing was on the wall.

A block of Mansfield High School student fans -- dressed in red, white, and blue, and many waving American flags -- began chanting “USA” and patriotic music began playing over the loud speaker.

To many of those present, including former Brockton High School student Noube Rateau, the chants were a blatant implication that Brockton players and fans -- many of whom are immigrants -- were un-American.

“It was the USA chant as a taunt that got me mad,” Rateau explained. “I didn’t get the sports concept behind it. The fact that it was so planned was the worst part.”

Brockton School Committee member Brett Gormley did not attend the game, but when he heard about the fans’ behavior he sent an email to the Mansfield School Committee.

“It happened when I was playing,” Gormley said of what he called the “racially charged” taunting. “It’s not a surprise anymore. I’ve seen it happen with many teams (against Brockton).”

Rateau, who recently spent time traveling to dozens of high school games across the state filming his documentary Out of Bounds: Sports in the Inner City agreed that he saw “isolated incidents” of race-based taunting, but, “not as planned or orchestrated as Mansfield.”

Gormley asked the Mansfield School Committee to “make sure that this matter is addressed appropriately by the MHS administration and staff,” and received a response from Chairman Michael Trowbridge, who offered an apology to Brockton students and said he has never witnessed that type of behavior at the school. Trowbridge passed the information along to the Superintendent of Mansfield Public Schools and the high school athletic director for potential further action.

Brockton High School boys basketball coach Bob Boen said he did not take notice of the chants on Friday night.

“When I’m coaching I miss the chants. I don’t really hear what they're saying,” Boen explained. “I'm usually yelling at the kids on the court, so I don’t hear the crowd much.

“I don’t think any of my players were upset about it though. We got a good level-headed group…I even tell the team before every game, don’t listen to the crowd. I just thought the USA stuff was their theme. I mean, we’re USA too, Brockton USA. I was under the impression it was just USA night and we were there.”

Brockton Public Schools Superintendent Kathleen Smith said rivalry is “part of the high school experience,” and is “healthy for kids,” and she has asked for a report of the Mansfield game from BPS Athletic Director Peter Caruso.

“I will say that we teach proper etiquette for our student athletes and I am more than proud of the diversity of our large, urban high school, as well as the expectations we have for how our students represent our City and schools,” Smith said.

Gormley and Rateau both said they blame the adults -- the administration and the parents -- more than the students, but that this should not become “normal” behavior.

“I teach high school so it’s personal,” Rateau said.

“I’m here for the (Brockton High) students,” Gormley said. “We have to protect them.”

https://www.sparkthenews.com/…/brockton-mansfield-basketbal…
Please visit The Spark, www.sparkthenews.com, and consider subscribing for much more news, sports, photos, podcasts, and local information

Photo from the game.

Uhhh this wasn't an international competition, so anyone showing up wearing national colours like that is an idiot.

If you're attending a USA vs Canada basketball game? Sure, go for it, paint your face like a bald eagle, get giant wings made, attach them to your back, bring a giant American flag, and sing "America the beautiful" while you flap around. That's fine. It's an international competition, country vs country, so it's all good.

But this? Yeahhhh.. These are just idiots, I'm afraid.

Being Patriotic Jerk Now Unamerican?
Yeah, I dont see why not.

It seems strangely out of place but the assumption it was race based is jumping the gun. Did anyone try asking the people involved why they went for a patriotic rally at a high school basketball game? It wasn't mentioned in the article.

More information needed. There are people who hide behind patriotism to push something much less benign. So you really need more context and background.

Sure, it's possible that there was a "GO USA!" rally right before this somewhere, and that's why these guys showed up to the game decked out in American colours, or something similar. I'm just basing my conclusions on the information presented, it seems rather complete to me at first glance.

I would totally believe that these dopes just aren't very creative, and didn't have any better ideas for how to support their team. I remember hearing some folks at Fenway Park chanting "Yankees suck" when the Sox weren't playing the Yankees. fwiw, a quick Google search reveals that the Mansfield team's nickname is The Hornets and their colors are green and white (if it had turned out this team was The Minutemen and their colors were red, white, and blue, I think we'd all feel pretty dumb, but we dodged a bullet).

Also, "they're teenagers" can explain a lot. There's been a lot of research in the past handful of years about the development of the human brain. In particular, the prefrontal cortex develops late, into our 20s, and it's the part of the brain that handles decision making, moderating social behavior, and calculating the consequences of actions. Paraphrasing a neurologist who was doing an fMRI study of adolescents said "If your teenager is acting like they have brain damage... They do. But don't worry, it's normal." Maybe the school faculty can take the opportunity to teach a section on the history of nativism in the United States, or something.

It's been my observation that throughout history, 'Patriotic' people have been behind many of the worlds atrocities at least in the modern era.

It's been my observation that throughout history, 'Patriotic' people have been behind many of the worlds atrocities at least in the modern era.

Aided and abetted by ennui and the people just looking out for themselves and not looking for trouble, no doubt.

Patriotism and energy directed at community participation and involvement isn't so much the problem on its own. Not all energy is directed with equal worth. Not all inert wastes of space are either.

Assuming they actually wanted to offend the other team by chanting "USA, USA!" this is exactly the kind of bullying I can get behind. A pity that these days everybody responds with bursting into tears instead of accepting the challenge.

What has become of the world that it does not appreciate a good rivalry with people exchanging low blows? :sad:

If we were attacked by a bunch of anglo-saxon economic migrants, I'd be ishing my pants.

Sure, it's possible that there was a "GO USA!" rally right before this somewhere, and that's why these guys showed up to the game decked out in American colours, or something similar. I'm just basing my conclusions on the information presented, it seems rather complete to me at first glance.

Jumping to conclusions is problematic. In fact, there was a planned patriotic theme to it. The state's scholastic athletics organization recommended that schools establish various themes in their pep organizations. Mansfield had camouflage days and other theme days at their home games.

But you think these fans are "idiots" for participating in that theme.

Okay, some people (or at least one outspoken person) were offended. That much is a fact. The question becomes how much offense from how many people turns what was apparently a reasonable notion, theme days for high school sport fans, into a problem. Or, to turn it around, should people who were offended, well, maybe they shouldn't have been.

The superintendents for both schools have issued a joint letter calling this a teaching moment. But for whom? Who needs teaching?

Okay, some people (or at least one outspoken person) were offended.

:wavey: I was very offended. The clear implication is that folks with white skins are "true Americans," while folks with brown skins are not. I am disgusted by the right wing's ongoing campaign to roll back the civil rights advances of the 1960's.

It began with Nixon's "Southern Strategy," and accelerated when Reagan launched his Presidential campaign by calling for "states' rights" (dog whistle for "segregation") near where three civil rights workers had been murdered in the 60's. This was later followed by campaigning against non-existent "welfare queens." In response to Reagan's strategy, racists migrated en masse from being the Dixiecrats of the Democratic Party to being the base of the Republican Party.

When the U.S. finally elected its first black President, the right wing launched the "birther" moving, claiming with no evidence whatsoever, that Obama is not a "true American." Civil rights legislation has been repealed as being no longer necessary, and this was immediately followed by new legislation aimed at reducing the number of black, brown and poor Americans from the voter rolls. Sarah Palin, while campaigning in front of a roomful of white folks, called them the "true Americans." Who then is everyone else--false Americans?

The GOP's leading candidate for President bases his campaign on hating Muslims and hating Mexicans. :vomit:

A person should be judged based upon content of character, not color of skin.

How does any of that speak to a high school basketball game?

Sure it was, the opposing high school has a lot of students who are immigrants.

That's called jumping to a conclusion. Even if it ultimately turns out to be true, it is extremely unfair to assume this was racially motivated until we hear the chanters' side of the story.

Top Bottom