Belarus riots

It is quite possible that the end-result will be Belarus losing its independence.:(

If the Belarus government as of now decides to merge into Russua and this is within the authority of the current Belarus government according to Constitution and Laws.... and Belarus government signs the proper treaties for that...
is there anything legal within international law that can stop this action ?

If the Belarus government as of now decides to merge into Russua and this is within the authority of the current Belarus government according to Constitution and Laws.... and Belarus government signs the proper treaties for that...
Don't see a point for Lukashenko to do this, tbh. It won't help him to stay in power.
More importantly, it's hard to find worst moment for Russia to intervene.
Go into this sh*tstorm, get all the backlash Lukashenko is getting now, angry the population and having to deal with the protests somehow.

How, by the way, Russia supposed to deal with these protest in your opinion? Beat and shoot Belarussians?
If that happens, Putin will get the same protests in Russian cities.

I hope there will be more coverage of Luka in English. The world is missing out on his flavour of dictatorial.

I don't think so, but that's moot, because Lukashenka won't do it.

Don't see a point for Lukashenko to do this, tbh. It won't help him to stay in power.
More importantly, it's hard to find worst moment for Russia to intervene.
Go into this sh*tstorm, get all the backlash Lukashenko is getting now, angry the population and having to deal with the protests somehow.

How, by the way, Russia supposed to deal with these protest in your opinion? Beat and shoot Belarussians?
If that happens, Putin will get the same protests in Russian cities.
I don't think so, but that's moot, because Lukashenka won't do it.

Belarus is indeed a poisoned gift to get and Lukashenko will indeed not like to lose his homegrown pet.
Bur the law question is there.
It is the general issue we have since sovereign nation-states were declared holy in order to preserve the post WW2 world order.

Not only tropical islands selling their sovereign privileges to the rich but also anachronisms like Belarus survive as such unless overwhelmed by domestic revolts.

Law only makes sense when there is recognized authority to judge and enforce it.

The second one, the one at the back, appears to be missing a wheel.

I think if Luka drew more sensible number, like 52% instead of 80% and said something like "it was a tough fight but I won again", he could avoid such a big problem with protests. But claiming he must go is incorrect too. It's fair to demand recalculation of votes or re-running elections, because falsifications are now rather obvious.

Making the number too close is also dangerous, because then people might be demanding recounts. If you are falsifying votes, you need to make the gap large enough that it is a clear victory, but not too large.

Belarus is indeed a poisoned gift to get and Lukashenko will indeed not like to lose his homegrown pet
Lukashenka will likely fall and Russia has better than average chances to fill the resulting vacuum by any means possible.

Making the number too close is also dangerous, because then people might be demanding recounts. If you are falsifying votes, you need to make the gap large enough that it is a clear victory, but not too large.
That makes sense if your real rating is 65% and you are making it 75%, something like in Putin's case. Most people will think, meh, he was winning anyway.
But if you are inflating ~10% to 80% it's like spitting in people's faces. They may indeed not just demand recounts, but say go to hell.

Lukashenka will likely fall and Russia has better than average chances to fill the resulting vacuum by any means possible.
There are no possible means short of invasion, which is insanity.
Russia is already making the same mistake it made with Yanukovich.

But Putin did invade Ukraine, so how likely is it to replicate that mistake?

Crimea wasn't a mistake. Supporting moral bankrupt Yanukovich was.
Before I answer further and agree or disagree I have to ask what definition of ‘mistake’ you're using.

The artist clearly has no grasp of the proportions of the human body - just look at the balaklava guy's arms to torso ratio.
You are right... his legs are also too long. And head ridiculously small.

Before I answer further and agree or disagree I have to ask what definition of ‘mistake’ you're using.
Something you have done and later regret about.

Top Bottom