Beliefs And Freedoms

Do your convictions outweigh your feeling of a necessity of freedom?

• Radioactive Monkeys have no freedom.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tycoon101

Loves being STRONG
Do you feel that you believe deeply in something, such as stopping meat eating, and want to illegalize it?

Or would you dislike something, in this case meat eating, but you feel that it is not your right to stop this practice?

As in my case: I am opposed to homosexuality, however, I feel that there should be anything blocking homosexual marriage.

Poll is coming soon.

We all start with absolute freedom. We voluntarily limit some of these by living in society, where murder is not allowed.
However, when actions are questioned which do not directly affect this voluntary agreement, such as any action between two consenting adults (defined in this case as those judged capable of giving consent) then there is no reason for our natural freedom to be further limited.

Therefore my freedom is limited, but the amount by which it can be limited is limited.

The freedom to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.

Tycoon101 said:
Do you feel that you believe deeply in something, such as stopping meat eating, and want to illegalize it?
I would illegalize factory farms. Techincally animal cruelty is already illegal but for some reason farm animals are considered as products and not sentient beings. However I have no desire to ban meat eating (of animals humanely treated during their lives). Some of my most cherished loved ones eat meat almost exclusively.

Spoiler :

Tycoon101 said:
Or would you dislike something, in this case meat eating, but you feel that it is not your right to stop this practice?
Not my right, no.

Tycoon101 said:
As in my case: I am opposed to homosexuality, however, I feel that there should be anything blocking homosexual marriage.
You mean "shouldn't" be anything? Why are against homosexuality? How do you percieve it hurts you or others?

i think that my beliefs should be recognized but sometimes i have to realize that i dont know best and that the freedom of my fellow citizens should be put in front of my singleminded views.

Generally, I do not seek to impose my belief on people, with certain exception (I will fight for my belief that a child's right to be educated or treated (for diseases) properly no matter his economic background take precedence over a man's right to spend the entire fruits of his labors as he will ; ie, that taxes and government spending in free education and healthcare are proper).

Generally, though, outside that handful of absolute core rights, I consider that everyone has the right to do anything that will not harm another non-conseting being (it being understood that children are generally not old enough to properly consent to anything)

tomsnowman123 said:
I like to think that my beliefs always go along with freedom. If they don't, then freedom should have higher precedence.

I believe the same, except that in case of conflict, my beliefs would have higher precedence.

Godwynn said:
The freedom to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.

However, you have the obligation to defend yourself from an assailant. It is your unalienable freedom to defend yourself IMHO. Now, if you are the one who threw the first punch...

Tycoon101 said:
However, you have the obligation to defend yourself from an assailant. It is your unalienable freedom to defend yourself IMHO. .

Irrelevant, the law already has a clause for self-defense.

On the topic provided, what Godwynn said.

Nope. I'm not gay, but I won't stop you from being gay. I'm not vegetarian, but I won't force you to eat meat.

I would never want to be in a position that I make decisions based upon my own set of proclivities what other people can and cannot do.

This is one reason why I believe people should detach themselves from their emotions when making political decisions.

I barely know what is right and good for me; I would never superimpose my skewed version of morality on anyone else with regard to the creation of laws.

However, I do not see this as being the case with most Americans who seem to know exactly what is is I should or should not do.

I'm a big fan of freedom, but I know that there's some authoritarian in me, and I'd be a hypocrite to vote that freedom > everything.

So freedom > almost everything.

I fall in between the first two. That's just ego :)

Top Bottom