Beliefs for a Wide Empire

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Black Lotus, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Black Lotus

Black Lotus Chieftain

Generally I play ICS or a Wide Empire as some people call it, what are some of the best beliefs for this type of strategy? Most people on the forums talk about Tall Empires, I would assume Church Property would be pretty good, what else should I take?

2. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Church Property is good for all empires tall and wide alike.

The 2 science per trade route is great too. Etc.

3. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

I like to take the 1-Happiness-per-River-City Pantheon, happiness for shrines and temples, and Papal Whatchamajiggie. I can take out one AI easily if I am on one end of a fairly long river and the AI is near the other end. I just build a string of cities down the river, take my military with me, and have the upper hand when I get to the AI. Then I spread religion to the CSs, and take the 20-min-influence SP in Patronage.

4. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Pagodas are also great for any empire if you have access to a lot of faith per turn.

+2 happy, 2 faith, 2 culture per turn gives any wide empire a nice maint free building.

5. Harthhal

Harthhal Chieftain

With france i get the +2 science per trade route pantheon, the +2g per city founder, the +1 happiness per city follower

6. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

came here to say pagodas.

the key thing with happiness is to add it incrementally, not all at once, to avoid stalling out growth in boom & bust cycles.

pagodas are perfect because you can set faith auto-buying, and you can count on +2 happy every X amount of turns. Not many options provide that kind of predictable, scheduled happiness increases.