Berserks01 - Always War Cultural Challenge

Ok, we have enough to start. Maybe we can take another player later ... if we need another one that is.
I would like to join if the slot's still open.

But one comment on religion: it can spread to unmet civs (human and AI) in an Always War game..when it spreads you meet the founder (if they've adopted) and declare war on them :crazyeye:

Also, as Alex starts with Hunting then early Archery is a much stronger play in AW than in regular games. I'd plump for Agri => Mining => Archery and only then AH/Bronze. With the corn and a floodplain farmed you can work the goldmine (and defend it with an Archer) and still grow.

But one comment on religion: it can spread to unmet civs (human and AI) in an Always War game..when it spreads you meet the founder (if they've adopted) and declare war on them :crazyeye:

Are you sure? For a religion to spread, you have to have Open Borders with the AI, which you can't in an AW game :confused:

Lurker's Comment

I disagree with frank ... I still think we shouldn't think of culture in the BC era. Of-course we should go for wonders, but the primary purpose is not for culture.
Greyfox is right here, for the culture win you don't need early libraries, religions etc. What you need is start some cottages, so later when you crank up the culture slider you will have some commerce to generate that culture. The only other thing you need besides cottages are cathedrals. Good luck, it should be interesting.

GreyFox, I think I disagree with myself, too. I said it was a concern and it'll make it harder without building culture. But early culture will be useless if we're overrun by the AI.

And yeah, put me in the "reroll with tech-trading off." All war doesn't mean the AI are at war with each other, just us.

I've had religions spread to un-met civs before. Exactly once. ;)

Are you sure? For a religion to spread, you have to have Open Borders with the AI, which you can't in an AW game :confused:
Yup. In an RB game I met Toku when his state religion (Hinduism) spread to me. I then met Cyrus and Huang when Hinduism spread to them (after I had overrun Toku). This was a water map, where religion spreads more readily.

I was going to suggest a re-roll last night as well, however are we sticking with Alex, switch to another leader, or let it randomize again?

For now, I'll re-roll with randomize unless someone suggest a specific civ.

Ok, re-rolled the start. Here it is. We're Ragnar this time around.

In this case, I'd settle in place. If you look carefully, you can see more hills to the E of those 2 eastern hills.

Here's the pix with the scout moved to the hill SW of the settler. I'd say settling in place is ideal. If no objections, I'll start in about 2-3 hours from now.

Let's do 20 turns each first round, then 10 there after.

Turn 0 - Found Nidaros in place, start warrior. We get sheep, rice, and gems in our BFC. Set research to Mining to get those gems hooked up.

Turn 1 - Village gave 47g.

Turn 8 - Mining comes in, start AH. Nidaros finished warrior, start worker.

Turn 10 - Village gave 37g.

Turn 11 - Met HC.

Turn 16 - Met Cyrus.

Turn 17 - AH comes in, starts Archery.

View of our land.

Roster
berserks01 - {just played}
frankcor - UP
GreyFox - {on deck}
vra379971
Ozbenno
Swiss Pauli

Attachments

• AWC BC-3240.CivWarlordsSave
    66.9 KB · Views: 94
That might just be the best starting position I've ever seen. Superb for food, commerce and hammers; plenty of health and the happiness from the gems just puts a cherry on top.

Swiss Pauli, can you imagine how good that site would be if it had Copper on one of those hills? Alas, it was not to be ;)

I played 20 turns and built some archers:

Inherited turn (3240 BC): our lone citizen in Nidaros was working an oasis tile; 3 :food:, 3 :commerce:. That was a good boost to both our worker training and our research so I left everything alone and hit Enter.

IBT: A lion appeared out of the fog south east of Nidaros.

Turn 1 (3200 BC): Our warrior set forth on a lion hunt.

Turn 2 (3160 BC):

Turn 3 (3120 BC):

IBT: Our warrior conducted his first hunt:

Turn 4 (3080 BC): We discovered Archery and turned our attention to the working of Bronze(11)

The palace could use some nice copper lighting.

Nidaros trained a Worker, started an Archer. Our citizen continued working the oasis, growth was due in 2 turns. I directed our worker to start penning in those sheep on the hilltop northeast of the city.

Turn 5 (3040 BC): Our scout met a Warrior from England -- war ensued.

Turn 6 (3000 BC): Amazingly enough, The English warrior didn't kill our scout who had been sitting on a jungle hilltop.

IBT: A Combat II Incan Quecha approached Nidaros from the west. Our warrior arrived back in the city for a turn of healing.

Turn 7 (2960 BC):

Turn 8 (2920 BC): Our scout found Cyrus' homeland:

Turn 9 (2880 BC): The pucker factor was increasing. The English warrior approached Nidaros out of the fog. Meanwhile, the Quecha is circling around our border, probably heading towards our worker up on Sheep Hill.

I ordered our 2nd citizen to work a grassland forest instead of the 2nd oasis to speed up the archer (and slow down growth and research :().

IBT: Gandhi's scout came out of the fog at Nidaros -- war ensued.

Turn 10 (2840 BC): Our 2nd citizen went back to working the 2nd oasis. That gives us both Bronze Working and a population growth in 3 turns. We can whip the archer in 4 turns (if Nidaros isn't a burning pile of rubble before then. Continuing to work the forest wouldn't get us the archer until 6 turns.

The Sheep Pature was finished, our worker hadn't much to do -- it'd be foolish to start mining a hill south of the city so he went into the forest north of the city to wait for an axe.

Turn 11 (2800 BC):

IBT: Our scout survived a Lion attack.

Turn 12 (2760 BC):

Turn 13 (2720 BC): We discovered Bronze Working and I started on Wheel. Roads will help us defend our resources, I think. ;) We're going to need to go to Iron Working soon, though. Copper is no where to be seen.

I took a bit of a risk here. I ordered our Warrior to give up his 25% fortify bonus to go to the sheep pasture, leaving the city empty for 2 turns. That Quecha has circled all the way around our borders to get to the pigs. I hoped our Warrior would be able to stop him.

Turn 14 (2680 BC): Our Warrior reached the Sheep Pasture. The Quecha and English Warrior entered our borders and I whipped the Archer in Nidaros.

Turn 15 (2640 BC): Whoa, our Archer was trained (1 turns left for a second one) and the enemy fled our borders! I'm impressed. Our Archer climbed the forested hill northeast of town, the next worksite for our worker who just finished chopping his first forest.

Turn 16 (2600 BC): Nidaros trained an Archer, started another(4).

Turn 17 (2560 BC): Our worker started chopping/mining the hill northeast of town.

IBT: Our scout survived a Panther attack, earning a Woodsman I promotion.

Turn 18 (2520 BC): Our scout started a 4-turn healing process.

Turn 19 (2480 BC):

Turn 20 (2440 BC): We discovered Wheels, started on Iron Working(16). I'm guessing Animal Husbandry after that to find horses?

Nidaros trained an Archer, started a Barracks, due in 1 turn thanks to our worker's timely chop. I think we can build a few promoted archers then get started on our first settler.

Here is our known world. Our scout spent more time healing than exploring.

Dot map anyone?

Here's The Save: AWC_BC-2440.CivWarlordsSave Have fun!

We already have Animal Husbandry.... how do you think you can fence those sheeps? :p

Roster
berserks01 -
frankcor - {just played}
GreyFox - UP
vra379971 - {on deck}
Ozbenno
Swiss Pauli

Top Bottom