Berserks01 - Always War Cultural Challenge

OK, I few more thoughts after a night's sleep...

I'd want to grab Feudalism after my experience with Genghis and Capac. The Mongol's units are tough already (and down the line all the AI will surely adopt Vassalage) and we need an edge over him. Inca is surely going to drop off some units at Upsalla as his trireme is sitting there, blockading. The extra XP for our boats will be great. Finally, revolting to HR and Vassalage in one shot is very efficient.

We need more melee units in the next turnset or two and should definitely send an army to take Cy's Irontown: a second source of metal is almost priceless. Green dot should also be claimed before too long.

As to the Great Library, we need to research Masonry and Lit. With relatively few cities, we need to be efficient in our builds: with Marble, GL is good value, not so good without. As to fear of losing it, we are about to complete the Oracle in BC 100, so no need to worry overly on that score.

Turn 0 - Took a look around, everything looks in order so I press on.

Turn 1 - Mathematics comes in, I choose Masonry to hook up the marbles.

Oracle completes,

and I picked Feudalism as agreed.

And I immediately revolted to Hereditary Rule + Vassalage.

Turn 5 - Masonry comes in, starts Literature. I noticed that Gandhi already has Literature, so we best start the Great Library if we want it. Also noticed HC coming in at Uppsala with a Trireme and Galley, he's probably got something there.

Turn 6 - HC dropped off 2 axes by Uppsala. And Cyrus is lurking near Haithabu.

Turn 7 - Our axes took care of the HC problem.

Turn 8 - Then Genghis showed up with a couple of Keshiks.

Turn 9 - They managed to razed our iron mine before I killed them off.

Roster
berserks01 - {just played}
frankcor - UP
GreyFox - {on deck}
vra379971 -
Ozbenno -
Swiss Pauli -

Attachments

• AWC AD-0125.CivWarlordsSave
    139.2 KB · Views: 72
frankcor, you there? If frankcor doesn't pick up by tomorrow, GreyFox you should go.

Played ... I still think it's a mistake to settle our 3rd city ... we can hardly improve it, the marble is well in the capitol's culture, and its already unhealthy at size 1 ... :eek:

But perhaps it is there to stop English or Persia from taking our marble ... well ... anyway, back to the game. We got literature ....

... but instead of heading towards Music, I think we need construction first to take on Cyrus.

Also, I am wondering why Nidaros is set to avoid growth? Let it grow! which is what I did. Of-course, with Literature in, I started the Great Library once longbow and the marble is connected. Still has 10 turns left, however, with a chop, we should be able to get it within next turnset:

The Oracle gain us our first GP ... n order for it to lightbulb something useful (such as CS), we need to clear mediation, Montontheism, and theology (I think), not worth it. So, I suggest settling it.

Confucianism is found in a distant land ... someone is teching fast!

Mongol landed a pair of keshiks near the end of my turnset:

I got rid of one, and the other instead of going for pillaging, decided to suicide into our city.

Earlier on, I have also killed a barb archer.

>>> The Save (375AD) <<<

According to Ruff, the pillaging spoiler message should be removed. Let's see if it is true ...
Spoiler autolog :

Logging by Ruff's Cobbled Mod Pack v2.0.4 (Warlords v2.08) - New Log Entries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn 120/460 (125 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:11:06]
GreyFox: Maximize growth in Nidaros ... why is avoid growth turned on?
Tech learned: Literature
Uppsala finishes: Longbowman

IBT:

Turn 121/460 (150 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:13:37]
Research begun: Construction (13 Turns)
Uppsala begins: Worker (7 turns)
A Quarry was built near Haithabu
Nidaros grows: 6
A Village was built near Nidaros

IBT:
Civics Change: Gandhi(India) from 'Barbarism' to 'Vassalage'

Turn 122/460 (175 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:14:56]

IBT:
While defending in Viking territory near Uppsala, Axeman defeats (0.10/5): Barbarian Archer (Prob Victory: 99.1%)

Turn 123/460 (200 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:15:43]

IBT:
State Religion Change: Louis XIV(France) from 'no State Religion' to 'Hinduism'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV(France) towards Elizabeth(England), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Gandhi(India) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 124/460 (225 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:16:45]
A Mine was built near Uppsala

IBT:

Turn 125/460 (250 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:18:10]
Nidaros finishes: Longbowman
A Village was built near Nidaros

IBT:
Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 126/460 (275 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:18:33]
Nidaros begins: The Great Library (18 turns)
GreyFox: Confucianism FIADL

IBT:
Civics Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 127/460 (300 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:20:03]
Nidaros grows: 7
St. Patrick (Prophet) (Great Prophet) born in Nidaros
Uppsala finishes: Worker
Haithabu grows: 2

IBT:
State Religion Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'no State Religion' to 'Confucianism'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV(France) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards Elizabeth(England), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Elizabeth(England) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 128/460 (325 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:20:39]
Uppsala begins: Spearman (4 turns)

IBT:

Turn 129/460 (350 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:22:20]
While attacking in Viking territory at Uppsala, Spearman defeats (3.36/4): Mongolian Keshik (Prob Victory: 86.1%)

IBT:
While defending in Viking territory at Uppsala, Axeman defeats (1.00/5): Mongolian Keshik (Prob Victory: 88.0%)

Turn 130/460 (375 AD) [22-Jan-2007 20:25:11]
A Farm was built near Haithabu

Nice going there, GreyFox. Let's hope we get the GL before Gandhi. We can hopefully still be the first to Music if we go for it once we have Construction.

We'll need plenty of spears and longbows, both for base defense and for sod defense.

Roster
berserks01 -
frankcor -
GreyFox - {just played}
vra379971 - UP
Ozbenno - {on deck}
Swiss Pauli -

Okay...will play ian a few hours...but first a question.

IF I go for Music (which I'm getting more and more convinced may not be wise btw, I'd rather have Crossbows atm) we NEED to do a bomb on the green dot, after we found a city there. Bombing the artist in a spot that's on a hill and has some cultural defence is a waste, when we're at war and have a big western swath open where anyone can march in on us - and have - I should say.

We really want that artist from music, whom I would settle in my weakest of the planned legendary cities in a peaceful culture game. Nidaros will produce huge culture from the slider, Uppsala will be under frequent attack and is likely to be pillaged so I wouldn't consider it for legendary, and Haithabu will be able to support lots of late game cottages (and will be shielded from attack when we take the English a Persian cities nearby). Green Dot, with all those hills, is much more a production city and thus less suited for legendary status, so I wouldn't bomb there.

Given the current situation, I'd grab the artist and either settle in Haithabu, or save for settling in North Black.

With Keshiks coming at us, CBs aren't quite as hot a priority if Genghis were sending Axes our way. And with our traits and civics our axes and spears are more than a match for the other civs units.

Lurking here

Having a good time seeing how you guys are going about this. I am intrigued.

Very well. Music it is. It'll be finished in the next turnset, so we can haggle then if it comes to that.

Nothing of major interest to report.

We have a few military situations...a lone weak immortal near capital, a french duo going for a hill city...and a spearman which killed a Mongol Horse...who had pals.

Attachments

• AWC AD-0600.CivWarlordsSave
    156.5 KB · Views: 57
I'm OOP til Sunday, so I need a skip.

Had a quick look at the save this morning and I think we're in trouble from a quick look at the power graph.

Seems you're right, Fox. I've got it then. Will play tonight, if not tomorrow will do.

Holy crap, we definitely need help :eek:

Turn 0 - Wow, we are in a dire situation here. Enemies within our border, a 0.5 life spear next to a 1.4 Keshik, and most of our defenders are injured to near death. I moved the spear to a jungled hill for +75% defense since he does not have any fortified bonus.

Turn 1 - The French sword and axe dies to our archer and sword at Haithabu. The immortal dies to our archer. Unfortunately, our spear didn't make it, too injured he was.

Turn 2 - Cyrus comes knocking at Haithabu with 2 sods.

Turn 4 - HC also got 2 galleys headed towards Uppsala. I decided to suicide our pult against the first Persian sod to weaken it, and oddly enough our pult dealt collateral damage as well as took out a sword :D

Turn 5 - HC's 2 galley dropped off the radar for some reason.

Turn 6 - Gandhi showed up with a pair of sword and axe by Uppsala, and a Keshik appear at its border. After suiciding a pult, the first Persian stack splits up, and the second stack heads to Nidaros.

Turn 7 - Music comes in, starts HBR. Unfortunately, someone has already stolen Homer.

Turn 8 - The AIs are just going around pillaging. We only have defenders, no offense to take them out.

Turn 10 - Our current status can be summed up in these 2 screens ....

maybe Prince is too hard for Always War Cultural challenge ... then again, it wouldn't be a challenge if it's too easy :D Maybe we just need to rethink our strategies and start over ...

Roster
berserks01 - {just played}
frankcor -
GreyFox -
vra379971 -
Ozbenno - UP
Swiss Pauli - {on deck}

Attachments

• AWC AD-0800.CivWarlordsSave
    166.9 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom