Berserks01 - The Power of Brotherhood

berserks01

Obviously Very Confused
Let's see if there're any interest in this baby.

Settings

Version: TBD (Vanilla or Warlord)
Difficulty: TBD (leaning towards Noble/Prince)
Map: Pangea
Civ: TBD (leaning towards Toku/Ceasar)
Speed: Normal
Victory: Must win by Conquest/Domination

The Variant

(1) The first military unit killed in combat with an AI must be the ONLY unit used to war with that AI
(2) If unit becomes obsolete (cannot be built anymore) then the next unit killed in combat will take over
(3) Rule also applies against barbs

Note: obsolete does not mean warrior -> axes/swords/spears. Obsolete, in this case means warrior cannot be built anymore even if we disconnect copper/iron.

The Roster
berserks01
Furrie
Ozbenno

I'd be interested, prefer to play in Warlords.

Just a question about the variant...
is it the first unit we kill or just the first unit killed in general?
(Say, if we lose a Praet first we can only use Praets, if enemy loses Archer first we can only use Archers)
What about upgrades of the unit (Archer -> Longbowmen etc?)

Sign me up!! I don't have warlords so obviously only if Vanilla!

Thoughts:

Seems doable, if we're careful about our troop placements, ie only have our highest level troops in the front line when we declare and we take the time (and money) to upgrade regularly.

Are Toko/JC too easy? If I play JC, I only produce Praets!! For mine, just go Random!

Prince should be all right.

FuRRie said:
Just a question about the variant...
is it the first unit we kill or just the first unit killed in general?
(Say, if we lose a Praet first we can only use Praets, if enemy loses Archer first we can only use Archers)
What about upgrades of the unit (Archer -> Longbowmen etc?)
It's our first unit killed. So if we loose a warrior, we can only use warriors. I had thought about upgrades, but then it'd be no different from a normal game ;)

Ozbenno said:
Thoughts:

Seems doable, if we're careful about our troop placements, ie only have our highest level troops in the front line when we declare and we take the time (and money) to upgrade regularly.

Are Toko/JC too easy? If I play JC, I only produce Praets!! For mine, just go Random!

Prince should be all right.
You're right, Toko/JC might be too easy. I'll roll it at random on Prince then.

Does fighting barbs counts?
what if the unit gets obsoleted ?
(or is already obsoleted when died as the 1st unit?)

for instance: popping a hut can obsolete Your unit :cry:
btw: sb. has made test: 500 warriors is not capable of taking down 1 tank

best wishes = I wish U that this first unit is suicide catapult :D

Oh and you're both in. Still haven't decided on version, but it'd likely be vanilla to accommodate everyone who does not have Warlords yet.

No problem if it's vanilla for me, i'll just have to get "used" to it again.
If it's indeed our first unit lost Ceaser/Toku will be easy, random might be the most fun and its 'only' Prince.
And we need a clear rule about what to do when units go obsolete.

Ok, I've updated the variant to be more precise.

We just need another player to get this game rolling, then others can be added to the roster as they come.

Maybe allrdy post your GMT times, so we can make a fluent schedule?

I'm GMT +1 (Belgium), I'm ussually on my computer between 13.00PM - 05.00 AM

That's fine. But you do get 1 day to post a "got it" and 2 days to play.

I'm EST (so that's GMT +5 I think), I'll usually play early in the morning or on weekends.

I'm AEST (GMT+10) but have found that time frames usually don't matter as you got a day to get it!

To make it more challenging, we could say that once our unit vs an AI (not barbs) has been set, we cannot research a tech that would obsolete it! This game will be about carefully planning the whens and hows of warfare. having this rule would force us to be extra careful (could make an exemption if the AI declares on us).

Are we able to have defensive only units, example - a sword is our first unit killed, can we put some spears in the stack with our swords to protect against horse archers? can we use catapults to bombard?

Ozbenno said:
I'm AEST (GMT+10) but have found that time frames usually don't matter as you got a day to get it!
I agree.

Ozbenno said:
To make it more challenging, we could say that once our unit vs an AI (not barbs) has been set, we cannot research a tech that would obsolete it! This game will be about carefully planning the whens and hows of warfare. having this rule would force us to be extra careful (could make an exemption if the AI declares on us).
That sounds fair, but it'll be a long while before a unit becomes obsolete. Like warrior/axe/swords aren't obsolete until maces, and they are quite a few techs away.

Ozbenno said:
Are we able to have defensive only units, example - a sword is our first unit killed, can we put some spears in the stack with our swords to protect against horse archers? can we use catapults to bombard?
No. I'm counting military unit to be any unit that can attack. So, let's say we go to war against an AI with no units killed on our side yet. We can stack whatever we want in our stack. However, once the first military unit dies (be it warrior/axe/spear/sword/catapult/archer/whatever) that unit must be the only unit warring against that AI from then on until that AI is wiped out. All other units must leave from that AI's border. They can be attacked on their way out, but they cannot hit back. The "set" unit must be the unit to attack and defend that AI's city should we choose to keep that city.

Does this help?

berserks01 said:
No. I'm counting military unit to be any unit that can attack. So, let's say we go to war against an AI with no units killed on our side yet. We can stack whatever we want in our stack. However, once the first military unit dies (be it warrior/axe/spear/sword/catapult/archer/whatever) that unit must be the only unit warring against that AI from then on until that AI is wiped out. All other units must leave from that AI's border. They can be attacked on their way out, but they cannot hit back. The "set" unit must be the unit to attack and defend that AI's city should we choose to keep that city.

Does this help?

Yep! I'm thinking catapults and cannons all the way :lol: .

With enough (around a thousand or so) and properly promoted they'd do well :lol:

You can attack with pults, so they count :)

Once cities have 60% culture, cats become a necessity unless you have very overpowered melee unit. You can easily knock over the first opponent with an axe/chariot rush but second I think catapults would be necessary, a CR3 promoted catapult is a dangerous tool, any CR promoted cannon can take out any similar level unit!

I think our strategy will also be very UU dependent, lets hope we're not India! :crazyeye:

Upgrades catapult are dfinitly a great and dangerous unit, but those mounted units do have an advantage over cats/cannon which is a threat.

Ow, Ozbenno, didn't you ever hear of the undefeatbale Fast Worker Rush, that tactic is so brilliant as it is insane, i bet the AI never would see such an attack coming!

Top Bottom