BERT on Mac crashing at startup screen.

kipwheeler

Warlord
At the risk of being redundant with my post in the Bug Reports, I turn to Mac folk out there to see if anyone else has had a problem getting CivBERT to start up.

3 days ago, I restarted a game because it was wonky (the artifact button wasn't working), only to discover that CivBERT was crashing shortly after startup--before the main menu appeared). I tried disabling all mods, then tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game on Steam. I tried verifying the files--no luck.

I do get a lengthy crash report, and I've taken screenshots of it (However, it's a looong report--6 screens' worth of screenshots--so I'm hesitant to post it.):(

No dice--the game won't start, and it's been 3 days of trying. Anyone else having this problem besides me? :sad:

I strongly suggest reporting it to Aspyr Support. We have no Aspyr support people here, and no source code or other inside tracks, so the crash report is likely to be pretty meaningless.

I strongly suggest reporting it to Aspyr Support. We have no Aspyr support people here, and no source code or other inside tracks, so the crash report is likely to be pretty meaningless.

Aspyr? Not 2K games? I run CivBERT through Steam rather than the Mac Store, and I've never seen any Aspyr logos anywhere on the Mac version I'm running.

Edit: I did find a subforum on the Aspyr webpage for Steam use and Beyond Earth. I'll start poking around there--thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I did find a subforum on the Aspyr webpage for Steam use and Beyond Earth. I'll start poking around there--thanks for the suggestion.

Aspyr? Not 2K games? I run CivBERT through Steam rather than the Mac Store, and I've never seen any Aspyr logos anywhere on the Mac version I'm running.

Aspyr ported the Mac version that is distributed by both Apple and Steam, in slightly different formats. 2K don't support the Aspyr-generated code.

Just an update for any Mac Users who are out there and interested--Aspyr support was unable to replicate the exact bug on their hardware, but they suggested that some other program I was running had a conflict with Beyond Earth. They recommended running the game on the Mac after opening up and creating a new guest account. That indeed fixed the problem, and it now starts up and gets to the menu without crashing.

Well done.

That often means that the preferences in your usual account are corrupted. Starting it up in a new account creates fresh user preferences and can solve such issues.

TL;DR. on mac os 10.12
  • Uninstall the game from Steam app.
  • Delete the "~/library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth" folder. Careful this will destroy your saved games, keep the Saves file if you do not wish to lose them!
  • Reinstall the game from Steam app.
  • Optionally move the Saves folder back into the automatically recreated Application Support folder.
In my case, that I'll explain presently, that allowed me to start playing again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this have been posted a long time ago, but I believe I have had the same issue, and was able to solve it without having to create another account, which I did not want to do.

My setup is a Beyond Earth installation that was purchased and managed from Steam. I have installed a few mods (Codex, a few Alpha Centauri factions, Immersive armies). An Aspyr dialog appears when launching BE, which then allows the game to be launched.

It seems my problem was related to Aspyr's need for the Steam user to be logged in for the game to play. When trying to launch the game directly from the finder (the executable is in steamapps) it would be prevented with a "do this from Steam" error.

In game, there is a setting entitled "my2k auto login", on by default. I believe it is mandatory to leave it on as my game would not launch anymore from after the moment I disabled it, which I did reflexively because I do not like automatic logins.

A wild educated guess is that this my2k login is required for the game to correctly play, maybe to ensure the civ copy is a legit one. It all seems automated, because I do not recall creating such an account.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this dead thread again. For me this was caused by the Codex mod.

I've found a far less drastic solution to the issue. No need to uninstall the game. If it's crashing on startup, navigate to ~/library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/cache folder, and delete everything inside (make a backup just in case if you like but the game will re-create the files on startup). This should allow you to start the game normally while keeping your save and mod files. Since I've done that the game loads normally again.

Top Bottom