1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Affinity Military?

Discussion in 'CivBE - Strategy & Tips' started by CaptMikeP, Apr 6, 2015.

1. CaptMikeP

CaptMikeP Purity's Finest Warrior

In your opinion guys, what's the best affinity military? Harmony's mostly melee units seem pretty good, but they are land-locked and embarkation as we all know in the late game can be stupid with all the air/orbital/ranged units and city bombardment. Supremacy has a good mix, and a tad bit more mobility than Harmony, but not totally mobile. The CARVR and SABR are excellent. The ANGEL? It's OK. As for Purity, it's mostly ranged with the exception of 2 units. Well, one unit, because the Aegis is thoroughly useless and incapable of winning you a war. They also happen to have the most mobility. So. Which do you guys think is the best affinity for armies? I'll need this info for my domination games.

2. nimling

nimling Chieftain

I usually prefer the basic units over the affinity-specific ones.

3. CaptMikeP

I dunno man, CNDRs, or the melee Harmony units, or vice versa are pretty good. Same with the ultimate units.

4. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

Affinity units become good very late in the game, at that point the game should already be over in most cases.

But affinities do of course still matter, mainly because of the unique upgrades. For offensive wars against the AI I prefer Supremacy, because it's really good at picking off units from a distance and having a solid wall of units that the AI can suicide their units into. It's different on water based maps though - a mix of Naval units and LEV tanks is insanely strong against the AI. LEV tanks can take cities, wreck enemy ships and be covered by you own ships. Extremely simple and efficient.

5. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Chieftain

I am a big fan of Harmony for defence against the AI. The isolation bonus allows you to spread your defence troops out a bit, so you need less soldiers to cover all attack angles. Just keep a small mobile reserve and you should be able to repel any attack with ease. At the same time, you also get better defence against melee and ranged (or at least air?) attacks.

6. nimling

nimling Chieftain

The AI doesn't do a good job of targetting siege units, otherwise taking their cities would be a lot more difficult.

Ranger spam seems like it's still the way to go in MP. In MP, the isolation bonus for harmony units is probably a liability, since it takes some pretty big armies to win out.

Ultimately I think the best affinity will be the one with the best builder game, and good logistical support (like Supremacy's orbital coverage). More units and more science/money makes a bigger difference than better units. Supremacy's unique units didn't impress me, but Supremacy techs are on the end of the tech web I prefer for domination (Computing, Communication, Engineering/Robotics), and free roads is a pretty nice bonus for any playstyle.

The initial unique units for each affinity are kind of meh... if i recall correctly, they start with nothing but 24 strength, a little better than ordinary troops but their upgrade comes late. Soldiers/Marines do their job well enough if they picked the attack upgrade, and once Affinity 6 is attained they're better than the CNDR... plus those Marines were racking up kills and veterancy, and are already there (without taking my Firaxite or Xenomass if I go Harmony).

7. CaptMikeP

What I do is just spam the LEV Destroyers with the supremacy upgrade and the LEV tanks with the harmony upgrade. That ensures maximum mobility and firepower. The LEV Destroyer will basically be a better LEV tank. And, the Dragoons can take entire swaths of land with their bonus. Win-Win.

8. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

HARMONY, assuming builder-victory with a military for protection. Military and civilian technologies overlap.

Supremacy military and civilian techs don't overlap, so I don't like it. But if you insist:
    1) Build soldiers, then research power systems.
    2) Build rangers, then research autonomous systems.
    3) Fight using nodes, marines and rangers. Research tactical robotics.
    4) Assuming one affinity xp quest, start building CNDR.
    5) Research communications, build tacnet hub.
    6) Research cognition, collaborative thought. Build academies.
    7) Research fabrication. Free magrails, use lots of workers. With master control, free workers.
    8) Research cybernetics. Launch phasal teleporter over firexite spot.
    9) Teleport 4-7 units over. Delete teleporter and then throw an orbital laser up. Hold position until enemy units thin out.
    10) In case of 80+ strength city, use SABR.
    11) If strong AI still alive very late game, use vindicators, one of the best units in the game.

9. CaptMikeP

Supremacy has a good all-rounder type army. They do seem to focus more on strength in numbers, while Purity has mobility and versatility on its side, and Harmony focuses on raw strength (In reality I cannot see how people mounted on aliens and flesh-and blood aliens would stand a chance against anything. The only viable unit is the Xeno Titan.)

10. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Chieftain

I take purity simply because true battlesuits are better than their counterparts.

11. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

I tend to end up with a Supremacy army, because free maintenance of roads and maglevs isn't easy to pass up.
    The CNDR comes afterwards, and I spam those a lot. Then I spam Supremacy Affinity and suddenly my army of CDNRs become True CNDRs or something with 63 strength compared to everyone else's 24 Strength... and I march through with a cheap (although expensive to replace) army of overpowered troops.

The same could be said of other Affinities, but I find it easier for me to rack up Supremacy if only because I have 3 points... why not add another 15?

12. CaptMikeP

That's true, but then again, everybody would just get the 3 supremacy points, and then go forward with their other affinity. Supremacy's tenets have become more of a requirement than a choice in civilization games. No free magrails? You're effing dead, kiddo.

13. brizey

brizey Chieftain

Clusters of CNDR's with the cumulative neighbor bonus are pretty dammed wicked.

14. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Yeah I try that but the thing is, I've already got the 3 points... it's easier to get another 15 that way without suffering any point penalty.

Then again, I do rush for those military virtues that get me extra affinity from research. Normally can get it before my first researched affinity point.

Next up, I've got to try the Xeno Swarm upgrade. Go from a weak 24 Strength Xeno Swarm (as strong as my Brawlers) to a 60-something strong Xeno Swarm with the wave of the Harmony Research Wand. Unless Xeno Swarms suck and it's Cavalry that does it.

15. Ryika

For really fast victories off-affinity techs are mostly a waste imho (with the exception of the Solar Collector tech for purity/supremacy). Energy is rather abundant later in the game anyway, I don't think it's worth giving up tech progress for that. Especially because once you've financed your academies there isn't that much that you can do with the additional energy anyway.

16. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

I tend to have very little Energy in the bank. Always spending it on border expansions, rushing Tier 3-4 troops and Phasal Transporters...
    Just like any economy should be...

If anything, I need more Energy than Academies and science.

17. Ryika

Well, the fact that you use Phasal Transporters tells me that you're not opting for really fast victories. :D Really depents on how steamlined one rushes to victory. If you take your time anyway then yeah, getting that 1-2 additional affinity-techs is probably quite nice.

18. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

It's very tempting to just conquer the world... in fact it's very hard for me not have conquered 3/4 of it before I decide to go for a victory condition. I even tend to forget I had the Emancipation Gate or Exodus Gate set up.

Or the AI attacks and my strong CNDR military has to stop going to Earth to go conquer a city or two.

Of course I don't play on very high difficulties. But even on Vostok it ended up the same way - almost total domination.

It's a good thing I don't play MP... I'd get my butt kicked easily.

19. Ryika

Yeah, I felt the same in Civ 5. :) Especially when I was already ahead I often felt the need to use my superior military to cause some action instead of just sitting around waiting for a victory to happen. ^^

20. kikai93

kikai93 Chieftain

In the first game I won on Apollo I ended up building 3 Upgraded XenoTitans and conquering the entire map with just those 3 units.

If you mean in Multiplayer the Battlesuit rush is nice but Harmony Units still end up being brutally efficient at defending your turn 220 Mindflower under a haze of Miasma.