1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best AI Team Mate?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by swinenston, Mar 14, 2006.

?

Best AI Team Mate?

1. America

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Arabs

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Aztecs

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. China

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Egypt

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. England

12 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. France

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Germany

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Greece

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  10. Inca

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  11. India

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  12. Japan

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  13. Mali

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  14. Mongolia

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  15. Persia

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  16. Rome

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  17. Russia

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  18. Spain

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. scooter

scooter Prince

I like egypt. Mali are annoying cuz Mansa's always so far ahead in tech and you can't afford war against anyone (except him) because he gets so far ahead. Egypt still is a good tech country and usually seems to have the techs I need, but never gets too far ahead and you can usually take egypt when you need to because they usually don't have a great mid game army. Late game egyptian army is tougher though, so take advantage of them, then... :ar15:

2. Wreck

Wreck Prince

Nat, try playing a game w/ an AI teammate. You cannot direct them except insofar as you control the decision to start a war (assuming you're the instigator). Once you're at war, your AI teammate will do what it is programmed to do, and you have no control over it. And that is: send random small stacks up to enemy cities and then attack at low odds, getting slaughtered and providing experience to the enemy.

This is no different than what AIs normally do, which is why their wars are rarely decisive. The difference is, normally you're not allied with them, so you're happy that they're wasting all their production. But you don't want your AI teammate in a war economy, cranking out military forces and then pissing them away. Even more than a normal game, you want to keep your wars short.

3. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

Wreck--in the diplomacy screen, click lets discuss something else (i think), then click "why don't you attack", then they say "where should i attack", then you click a city name. maybe this isn't around after the patch, i haven't used AI teammates in a while. i think you can do this with war allies too.
    as for stack size and timing, think of it more as support for your troops than an invasion force, it's up to you to make the war decisive, never put all your cookies in the AI's basket. if they take the city (or when they found a new one), you can usually have them give it to you if you ask quick enough.
    the AI teammate is essentially governor of an autonomous region of your country.
    --no charge
    (has anyone had a permanant AI ally declare war on anyone?)

EDIT-- you sure can still do this, it's quite useful on scenarios where, for example, everyone is at war with the celts, so you get the mutual military relation bonus as soon as you meet. direct them to attack everything to their north, then attack from the south.

4. quizibuk

quizibuk Honorary Globetrotter

all good stuff, naterator knows how to use his drones

5. Guerra

Guerra Warlord

I once gave Saladin a free tech; Alphabet, as soon as I found it. Just for the hell of it. Later on he converted to my religion, gave me free technologies that more than made up for Alphabet and he smashed my enemies to pieces without even asking for a thing in return!

Mansa is also a great ally.

Never ever trust Catherine, Peter or Monty!

6. naterator

monty rocks, although i prefer the inca if i want a war dog. my challengi in a permanant alliance is to be totally parasitic, no research, have my buddy defend me, really hoard gold for no reason other than to be a total jerk.

7. naterator

oops, sorry... DP

8. cabert

cabert Big mouth

seems fun!
    I should try this sort of games...:)