Best alien-related fictional story/book?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 5, 2014.

1. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Specifically, because of what it suggests about the nature of
    Spoiler :
    consciousness
    , and so on. It remains one of the most horrific books I've ever read.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I will have a look :)

As i had noted before, in my view up to now the most interesting film/animation presentation of aliens (and scifi in general) has been from that classic Franco-Czech animation of the 70s:

Link to video.

A brutal, but still highly interesting work. Not for meek viewers though as it has some pretty cruel themes.

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I found the solaris audiobook on youtube. Maybe in awhile I'll listen to it!

4. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

For instance Hal Clement's Gravity series with aliens living in high gravity environments. But for really alien aliens i recommend the novels by Robert L. Forward about a civilization of aliens living in a neutron star: Dragon's Egg and Starquake. Also Rocheworld about a binary system with two planets sharing the same atmosphere.

Be advised it is pure hard sci-fi though, so while interesting and divulgative from a scientifical point of view, they lack any plot deepness and the characters are shallow and one-dimensional.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks has interesting aliens who live in gas giants and are sarcastic, like to screw around, and don't care much about death. They float around the various layers of gas giants and interact with eachother in somewhat comical ways. I always liked those guys.

6. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

A Deepness in the Sky!

7. Spidernova

Spidernova Warlord

Had a nice typed out post, and then my touchpad decided to eat it.
    Footfall is really good, its very actiony, and would adapt very well to film (yes please). It's also pretty hard as far as science fiction goes, which is a plus in my book.

Actually, most of Niven's aliens are pretty good, IMO while most of his Known Space(Ringworld being the most famous) stories are a little too pulpy for my taste, the aliens are really cool, and well, alien, in particular, The Puppeteers.

The Mote in Gods Eye is a classic, seriously read it. The sequel is not as good, but the setting is cool enough to make up for a lot.

For a more philosophical bent, which is what I'm guessing you are after, The Sparrow
    by Mary Doria Russel is one of my all time favorite books. The sequel is pretty bad, but the novel is good as a standalone.

If you want survival on an alien planet, while beset by hostile flora and fauna, try The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert, one of the inspirations for Alpha Centauri. Herbert also wrote the ConSentiency stories, Whipping Star, and The Dosadi Experiment, which I very much recommend for some neat aliens.

8. El_Machinae

Yes, if you've not yet read Mote, you're missing out. There's an audiobook version of it on youtube, if you're willing to consume it more slowly

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Hm. I read the synopsis. Some ideas sound good, such as the crazy eddie stuff, and the endless circles. But i did not like the characters, the names, the overall plot periphery (which does not seem to be much more than an account of a blockade), and the main idea about the biology of the alien species.*

I also read a synopsis of the Sparrow novel. Why a Jesuit society in the 21st century?

Spoiler :
    I also didn't like the museum bit. I mean it reads too much like a ploy in a book, considering the humans there. Good as an idea, but not as something coming into play, in my view :)

10. El_Machinae

You're too picky. Mote in God's Eye is great.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

It may be hugely better than my impression from the synopsis; afterall i did not even read a sentence from the original work. Btw i haven't read a full novel for many many years, so i was certain i would not restart reading novel-sized stories now (and sci-fi is hardly my main interest in lit :D although i like descriptions of aliens). I am a lazy reader by now :( Only short stories, or at best stuff up to 60 pages or something).

12. El_Machinae

You've read War of the Worlds, yeah?

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Yes, around 20 years ago (in late highscool) :/

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I own this book! I should get to reading it.

15. Silurian

Silurian Deity

HG Wells wrote War of the Worlds.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

HG Wells merely narrated it on the radio, the radio being famously conceived as an invention in one of his movies :yup:

:yup:

17. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

No, It was written by HG Wells, Orson Welles narrated it on the radio.

18. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

It's justly regarded as a classic in its field and does not have too many of the specific Niven/Pournelle authorial ticks. Do make sure to avoid the sequel, though.

19. El_Machinae

On the other hand, I enjoyed it. In the gripping hand, I was young when I read it.

20. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Dragonriders of Pern Anne McCaffrey
    The Brain & Brawn Ship series Anne McCaffrey
    The Stainless Steel Rat Harry Harrison