1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best ally during wartime

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Harvin87, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

Hello..

I just completed a long earth map on monarch, I had one vassal . . Hannibal, oh boy... he was an amazing ally .. of course I was giving all the good techs so he could fight side by side with me the wars, he resulted to be the best ally that I ever had... I mean , it was something I've never experienced before... we were involved literally in a World War and he was building tanks, jets, bombers, carriers... we were fighting in 3 fronts... in the Pacific against Chyna, Africa against Cyrus and in Europe against Julius Cesar . . what a good experience it was... the whole world against us and we prevailed... so ... in your experience who had been your best AI ally??
    :goodjob:

2. FrozenTitan

FrozenTitan Chieftain

I don't make friends, I make enemies. ;)

Hah, but to answer your question, when I was playing as Elizabeth on Earth 18 civs, and had conquered all of Europe, I was able to vassalize Catherine. She turned out to be really helpful, because she was a buffer against the Chinese, which allowed me to take over Africa without having to worry about Qin.

3. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

IMHO, definitely Shaka or Monty. They take war seriously, even if it isn't their war ;)

4. Dida

Dida YHWH

Totally agree. I hate leaders who demand loads of cash for DoW and then don't do anything after they are paid. :mad:

5. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

Shaka, he is the man!!
    Peter is not terrible (and and he is trustworthy) but he is slightly dumb

6. Xellos-_^

Xellos-_^ Prince

Izzy is great if she share your religion.

7. Atranox

Atranox Chieftain

The best allies for war are the ones that produce high amounts of military units during peace. Mehmed II, Montezuma, and Shaka are all fairly decent at providing military support. Isabella is also a great ally if you share her religion, as she'll gladly declare war on pretty much anybody for you. Catherine is very easy to make a vassal and usually fields a decent military as well...but keep in mind that she's the only AI in the game that can declare war when she's friendly towards you (though she needs to be bribed, I believe).

8. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

My fave civ for an attack puppy is Alex. He seems to do it just right. He makes enough units to distract the enemy WITHOUT getting so crazy he starts taking cities FASTER than you can (Yeah Shaka, Im looking at YOU). I guess Monty wouldnt be bad in that sence but really I never use em much just cuz A) he's a psycho nutjob whose too much of a pain to get too pleased and friendly ESPECIALLY if you are not sharing his religion. B) he is such a psycho nutjob that even if you CAN get him to like you he is usually ticking off sooo MANY other AI's that the diplo hits from everybody else isnt worth it (I SWEAR he is sometimes the worst enemy of sometimes FIVE diff AI's at the sametime in some games) much better to make friends with all of HIS enemies and havem them gang up on him. and C) while you DONT want your war ally actually ending up conquering more land than you, Monty can just be EMBARASSING sometimes. Sending in stacks of like 80 knights and horse archers when EVERYBODY else has cavarly and Infantry. You dont want the other AI's sniggering and pointing thinking he's the BEST date you can get for the party do you? :p

Kaytie

9. VinceV

VinceV Chieftain

How do you get to know these single traits/quirks of the AI? Is there a listing/database somewhere. A lot of it I learn by experience, of course, such as "Tokugawa never trades!" (Sorry for the partial thread hijack)

10. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

There is a VERY nice pdf reference sheet that has ALL kinds of infor like that. Its been awhile since I dl'ed it so I am not sure of the EXACT thread. Nor do I know why it isnt stickied SOMEWHERE cuz if it isnt it SHOULD be, or at least I think so. Anyways I did quick search and I THINK this is the pdf I am thinking of:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236346&highlight=PDF+reference+guide

Kaytie

11. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

I've always found Napolean to be one of the more competent AIs, as an opponent and an ally.

12. Powerslave

Powerslave Prince

I often get buddy-buddy with Mansa Musa and Hannibal. They both love Free Market, are relatively easy to keep Friendly, and they're both Financial, which makes them phenomenal trading partners. The biggest problem with Mansa Musa isn't his unit probability (he makes up for that with very modern units); instead, you need to make sure you don't let him win the game! Feeding him tech means that he'll just launch his spaceship that much faster, which is always a constant threat while Mansa Musa is alive and well. Ragnar is another possibility, but he doesn't tech as quickly as Hannibal or Mansa Musa. The tradeoff, of course, is that he fields a much larger army.

Alexander, Montezuma, and Shaka will declare war very easily and also give you high diplomatic bonuses from sharing a war, but they're poor trading partners. On the other hand, their slow tech pace means that there's very little chance that they'll become a threat to your game. Still, being backstabbed by a runaway AI is a very real possibility, if you're not careful. Legions of Impis will eventually overwhelm your CG3 Infantry, as I've learned the hard way. Stupid Shaka. Believe me, I build a lot more siege units now.

13. Patak

Patak Warlord

What is an ally?

14. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

1st thing to do w/ Mansa Musa is to vassal him. He is terrible at war past his special unit (not like he is good but simply the advantage is significant). Allowing someone militaristic dude like Shaka vassaling him is just plain dumb.

15. SheaD

SheaD Warlord

google is your friend

16. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

And sarcasm isn't yours.

17. SheaD

SheaD Warlord

Sorry but you clearly don't know the meaning of sarcasm.

18. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

Frederick helped me A LOT against Monty on a Pangea map, when I was rushing Nukes. We had a DefensivePact and Monty declared on me 5 times. If it wasn't for German troops, that game would have ended early.

19. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

What the guys with the high post counts said. As for Hannibal, I think that the A.I. plays him particularly well. He's a double threat 1)Military and 2) Space victory, so I enjoy him as a rival and normally include him in the games in which I specify my opponents. Even when Hannibal has been my comrade in arms, I find that by the late game he's my competitor and more likely to be fighting against me or trying to out-tech me to space, which often results in a war.

20. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

I'll have to go with Alex. You can sic him on just about anyone, regardless of his military strength.