Best Ancient/Classical wonder: Post G&K

What is the best Ancient/Classical Wonder?

• Temple of Artemis

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • The Pyramids

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

• The Great Library

Votes: 60 29.0%
  • Stonehenge

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • The Great Lighthouse

• Statue of Zeus

• The Oracle

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Petra

Votes: 52 25.1%
  • Terracotta Army

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Hanging Gardens

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • The Colossus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Garibaldi

Chieftain
With the new addition of several wonders as well as the changes to existing ones, I would like to know what is the most important, or most powerful, early game wonder to you.

Before the expansion, it is probably safe to say based on my experiences online that the most sought after wonder was the Great Library w/ the Hanging Gardens at a close second. Pre G&K, my favorite was the HG, as it fit perfectly wit my tall style of play. However, after the expansion and the serious nerf to the Gardens, I am doubtful that it is still omnipotent.

Post G&K, I find that the most powerful and useful strategically is the Library, as it still retains massive amounts of effectiveness. Having said that, I do belive a similar case could be made for Stonehenge's boost to religion.

I like the mosque of Djjenne [sp?], but based on the poll voted Great Library. It always has been and always will be the best early wonder, for any VC.

I voted for Petra. When combined with Desert Folklore Pantheon it turns a crappy start into an amazing one. Plus, it tends to be available for a long time because only a few civs can build it.

Stonehenge is beastly. Practically a great prophet equivalent by itself. My sense is the AI doesn't prioritize it, either, it's an easy grab. The library is much chancier.

Stonehenge is beastly. Practically a great prophet equivalent by itself. My sense is the AI doesn't prioritize it, either, it's an easy grab. The library is much chancier.

I like to go great library/great lighthouse if I'm on a map with lots of water. You gotta be lucky though cause the light house is definitely one of those wonders that always gets snatched up quick.

I voted for Petra. When combined with Desert Folklore Pantheon it turns a crappy start into an amazing one. Plus, it tends to be available for a long time because only a few civs can build it.

Agreed. Plus it has the Indiana Jones quote.

The only downside is how situational it is.

Depends on which CS wants me to build which...

;)

I'm not good at picking the 'best', because they're largely situational, but Petra would certainly be up there. If you have a desert start, it's pretty much a must have.

Depends on which CS wants me to build which...

;)

Yeah, this can actually be an incredibly important factor, because you can sometimes get 3 or 4 allies out of a wonder, which greatly increases it's payoff.

Great Library is the most universally applicable, but Petra can save an otherwise unplayable start.

Petra. If you have a city surrounded by desert, all those tiles become better than plains. If you have Hills/Desert next to a river, it doesn't count as flood plains and can have a farm built on top of it for a very nice 3/3/2. In my most recent game, I had a desert start, got desert folklore + petra, spammed Trading Posts on them and have over 200 GPT from that city in the Industrial era without a golden age, and I can spam missionaries with the perk that gives me science from spreading my religion.

I voted for Great Library, but it's really a tie between Great Library, Statue of Zeus and the Great Wall. With the Oracle (more Great Scientist points!) not far behind.

Great Library: Has gotten slightly better with the Great Scientist nerf. Unlike a GS, you can guarantee a free tech with this Wonder (though early use of a GS really should guarantee that anyway). The early Great Scientist points alone are worth it.

Statue of Zeus: As King William I said above, it's an incredible advantage to a Military Civ. Especially now that cities are so darned hard to take.

Great Wall: You'll get HUGE returns on the Great Wall now. Dynamite can be avoided indefinitely in the tech tree now. Warmonger? Once a city is taken from your opponent GW will kick in, making taking a city back nearly impossible. Not warmonger? GW will slow down to a crawl any invasion, allowing your now-deadly cities to decimate an opposing Civ's units. I love this wonder.

Still gotta go with Great Library. Can't beat a free tech. Others can be valuable, but usually only in certain situations.

Has anyone tried Temple of Artemis -> Oracle for fast aqueducts combined with the growth and food beliefs? Might as well do it with Monty for an additional +15% growth :D

Overall, I'd say Great Library though but it's very situational. Sometimes the hagia sophia is my first wonder (much better than stonehenge, imo, because it can be built after a few settlers).

I have to side with colossus. If you can get it up in coastal city (especially your capital with commerce) you never need to worry about money again.

Side note: try it with Dido. Between it, early trade and free harbors...not to mention that last point make it easier to build...well, historically they were prosperous merchants...

Top Bottom