1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best anime series? ^^

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

You can post your favourite anime series, and discuss about it if you want ^^

My own is Paranoia Agent, by the late great Satoshi Kon. Also notable due to films like Perfect Blue and Paprika.

Re Paprika, there was a very funny english dub in some sequence, with unintended rhyme as well: "we are here for the 'mini', not Paprika's bikini!" :rotfl:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Satoshi Kon is absolutely brilliant.

There are a decently large amount of series I really like, but Shirobako would have to be my favorite. It does a great job of showing what goes into making the sausage that is an anime, while also exploring questions of artistic passion, staying motivated in the face of adversity, and the terrifying world of establishing yourself in, or even simply choosing, a career in the unsure post-graduate world of your early-20s. And it manages to do this while staying light, upbeat, dramatic, well-paced, and without falling into an onanistic self-homage of your own industry/profession.

Kids on the Slope is probably my #2.

Kyriakos likes this.
  3. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

As I have been told many times before, the best anime series and the best animated series ever made is Dragon Ball Z.

4. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Meh, it's a fun series, and there are some fantastic highs. But there are some severe, oft-maligned deficiencies, most prominently in pacing and quality of animation. Power creep also made for a show that kind of ended up really predictable saga-to-saga. The characters were really strong though, and Toriyama really knew how to write a compelling, triumphant climax.

5. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

FLCL is so creative and bursting with ideas, so rock and roll, so Zen and so kōan, so young and so old, so puberty, so sexual, so human, so I think (therefore) I can! I rewatch it like every year. There's so much to unpack and it's all done so well, truly funny and touching and beautiful to its core.

Shoutout to Kuuchuu Buranko as well.

6. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I personally thought it was hot garbage and was fed up with the series when I turned 12.. Most of the characters are completely flat, some are created only to drive the story forward. To me DBZ, Naruto, One Piece and the sorts are exactly what anime should not be: Boring Shounen that starts out good and spends 500+ episodes pandering to their fans. Nuh uh.

That being said I'll provide you guys with my personal anime power rankings so that my post will actually be constructive. I've watched a lot in the past three years so here it goes:

THE HOLY TRIUMVIRATE

Serial Experiments: Lain
    Tatami Galaxy
    Fooly Cooly

These series are like nothing else out they're. Not only unique but also superbly crafted in every single aspect. In my opinion these are more profound that some of the "great" movies I've seen and everyone who is into anime at all should watch these. No description could do these justice, you just absolutely have to see them. I have rewatched every single one of these multiple times, which I pretty much never do with any series.

ELDER GOD TIER

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Hunter X Hunter
    Master Keaton
    Berserk

With exception of LotGH and Keaton these shows are all known to the anime nerd. They are seminal, critically acclaimed and praised by hardcore fans and newcomers alike. HxH is probably the best Shounen ever created, while many rank NGE as "best best anime show to date", especially together with "End of Evangelion". Out of these though my favorite was probably Berserk. Superb animation, a great soundtrack, subversive characters and some of, if not the, best art style in the genre. LotGH is long-winded and definitely imperfect, but its allusions to history and the character design definitely kept me going.

GOD TIER

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water
    Sayonara Zetsubuo Sensei
    Ghost Hound
    Monster

Some of these are barely known, only Monster is very much famous. Nadia has a beautiful child-like innocence, great steampunk/invention theme and is definitely palpable for kids and adults alike. If you liked 20.000 Leagues under the Sea, you'll love this. SZS is a very Japanese dark comedy and a very strange one at that. Ghost Hound is from the same team that made Serial Experiments: Lain, with a similiar feeling, but much less cryptic, with a nicer flowing plot and generally easier to follow.

GREAT TIER

Samurai Champloo
    Black Lagoon
    Steins;Gate

I'm sure most people would say these are some of the best shows ever made, they regularly appear near top-10 in almost all anime lists, but for me they barely just didn't cut it. Maybe Samurai Champloo could step up. The Nujabes (RIP) OST is definitely one of the best soundtracks in anime. Black Lagoon was one of my favorite action shows and just something nice to watch when you don't want your mind to be blown, though I wouldn't say it's not philosophical. Steins;Gate is the odd one out.. This could be higher on the list, but I had some issues with the art style and the character design. If you forego these, it might be one tier higher aswell.

Since you're into Philosophy, may I recommend Lain, which deals with the concept of Identity in a digitized world, NGE, which is incredibly dense and fun to analyze and Steins;Gate because of the occasional Heidegger reference :)

Anime is often a trap and too time intensive for me, so watch out where you get your recommendations from. Some of the most praised shows like Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan and so forth have even received critical acclaim, but in my opinion they just flat out suck. It's easy to get sucked into those kind of shows, but they'll never leave you with something profound at the end.

Not gonna do films since that would be too much, just gonna assume you've seen Akira and the other well known ones. Memorizu is probably my favorite :)

7. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

If you like philosophy and Lain, I def recommend Ergo Proxy. Just keep in mind that the first few episodes aren't really representative of the show. They trend more towards typical dystopia cliché than the rest of the show does, which is heavily influenced by philosophy and has entire episodes dedicated to common philosophical concepts and problems. Berkely, Lacan, and Descartes all get run through the ringer in it. Really its major flaw is it takes awhile to get going. And one of the characters is both frustratingly pandering and yet oddly necessary.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    cardgame likes this.
  8. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I thought it was pretty terrible

9. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

I'm too lazy to type out actual justifications for them, but here's a top 11 from me:

Kara No Kyoukai
    Macross Plus
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Macross Frontier
    Noir
    Ghost in the Shell (film - the series was good, but not as good)
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    08th MS Team
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    Zeta Gundam
    Hunter X Hunter (the more recent one)

Regarding Berserk, there's a massive difference between the original Golden Age arc anime (which is brilliant and nearly made it onto this list), the films (which are OK but outclassed by the former) and the recent series (which is utterly god-awful)....

10. Kyriakos

I had seen a few Serial Experiments Lain episodes years ago. Might pick up again at the present day, present time ahahahaha.

cardgame and yung.carl.jung like this.
  11. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

FLCL aka Fooly Cooly is one of the best films ever from any animated genre.

12. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

What do you like about it

13. yung.carl.jung

I'm already onto it, currently 4 episodes in!

Which one? The original one? I thought it was fantastic.

The struggle of the protagonist, the intricate homoerotic relationship between guts and griffith, griffith's effed up sexual urges (remember that one time he essentially cashs in a favor and pays by.. getting raped..), the gruesome world and the absolutely cruel ending had me dying, the animation and the art is great even though a lot of people dislike it :)

14. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Sorry for butchering

Yes.

I dunno, maybe. It felt a bit "edgelordy" and arbitrary to me.
    I didn't feel it was very intricate. All of this is perhaps something that could be a strength of the series, but it never like goes anywhere or seem to matter at all

The world felt pretty shallow to me, and the ending out of place

also, this guy basically kills everything the series has going for it

Kyriakos likes this.
  15. yung.carl.jung

I disagree with your comment regarding Gats & Griffiths relationship, but I see where you're coming from with Gat's struggle as "edgelordy" :D

To me it felt genuine but I definitely understand why you felt that way.

16. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I was thinking a bit and realised these two things are not the same

Another thing that bothered me about Bersek is that I watched it after having seen a bunch of videos about swordfighting, so everything regarding that in the series annoyed me (at one point Guts says it isn't even sharp)

17. dusters

dusters Emperor

Serial experiments Lain. Ergo proxy. Van Hellsing.

The Bible Black. Claymore.

yung.carl.jung and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm no huge anime fan but my favorite is Samurai Champloo, and favorite film is definitely Spirited Away.
    The soundtrack to Champloo is truly a joy :thumbsup:

haroon and yung.carl.jung like this.
  19. Kyriakos

:bump:

Watched Blood-C.

Hm, it was ok, nothing special, though. A bit misleading as well. A sort of more economic version of Elfen Lied.

20. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Nobody else is going to name it, so I'll say Bunny Drop.

Probably not what most people expect from an anime though, and unfortunately as so many anime it only has one season that was mostly created to advertise the Manga.

Still very much worth watching though.

Kyriakos likes this.