Best Beer Ad?

Zardnaar

Deity
Thought I would share several classic beer ads from the 80-'s to 90's.

Generally they didn't even bother to market them to women. It's all man's man, colonial, and larrikin type stuff. I'm sure other ads were made but these ones I remember from child hood, teenage years and adult years.

DB Clydesdale (1985)

Evoking the old colonial spirit.

Lion Red- Red Blooded (1993)

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/red-blooded-lion-red

The anti yuppie ad. Mexican beer with fruit down the spout and champagne cocktails hell no.

This early 2000's?

Beer is brewed by beautiful women.

Speights Southern Man 1995 iirc. Better quality below.

My local beer. Selling the fantasy of rugged Southern Man, anti yuppie. Around 30 years out of date even in 1995. Evokes agrarian idyll. Made Speights popular in Auckland apparently.
The rest of the "Southern Man".

Last edited:
This might surprise you but Guinness are the big advertisers in Ireland.
A popular ad from the 70s:
Another popular one from the 90s that they realised afterwards actually caused Guinness sales to fall as it aelienated existing drinkers but didn't attract new ones.
Last one is from Harp, a Guinness brand of lager in the 80s. The girl is Yvette Carte-Blanche from Allo Allo
The nationalist Taoiseach of the time was annoyed when he found out she was English so they found an Irish granny to claim her as Irish for a promotional tour.

Posting about beer at midnight in New Zealand, I wonder what the OP was doing this evening...

Now I want to get beer...

Last edited:
The Bubba Beer Keg commercials were hilarious

This one sounds like it fits the profile in a parodic way, although I never liked Bombadier itself; it's this red, anti-septic tasting ale. It's been a while since I've seen other beer adverts. I noticed most when I used to watch Channel 4's on demand website; a lot of the adverts allocated to sitcoms were for beer.

This one sounds like it fits the profile in a parodic way, although I never liked Bombadier itself; it's this red, anti-septic tasting ale. It's been a while since I've seen other beer adverts. I noticed most when I used to watch Channel 4's on demand website; a lot of the adverts allocated to sitcoms were for beer.

Heh essentially that's Flasheart from Blackadder. Ye olde Rik Mayal.

"Real Men of Genius" was not only the best series of beer commercials of all time, but the best series of commercials for any product whatsoever.

"Real Men of Genius" was not only the best series of beer commercials of all time, but the best series of commercials for any product whatsoever.
Bubba Beer Keg Commercials might be better.

@ Zaardnaar

I enjoyed watching the Speights adverts and the beer brewed by beautiful women.

The Speights ones were really popular. Got Aucklanders drinking Speights (beer was very regional into the 90's).

This beer is so so bad.

Because 'playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner', you can see Les Paul endorsing beer here.

The old Boddington's ones with Mel Sykes were great. Here's a couple (off the top of my head there were probably half-a-dozen or so):

Really? No one yet?

Very good. Any beer with draught in the name avoid imho.
Yeah, thats beside the ad ;)

Thats Lord Flashheart:

Last edited:
Top Bottom