Best city placements for various civs

killerkebab

Prince
I'm new to Civ and RFC (I've probably played more RFC than Civ now, and I've not really played either) and kinda suck at the game but I'm trying to win UHVs for most of the civs. What I enjoy about the game is city placement and trying to place cities that I've been to or generally big places I've heard a lot of. However in the case of some Civs like America city placement is a headache for me: I can build my favourite towns all night long, but where should I be placing cities?

I thought I'd start a thread (apologies if this has been done already) where players can list what civs they enjoy playing and which towns they like to settle/conquer and keep under their control. If you can, keep them in order. Obviously this is wasted on civs like Turkey which appear at a time when all the land is settled.

*Capital City
America:
Washington*
New York
Jacksonville
Toronto (1 Tile S of Ft. Albany, on the forest)
Chicago
Denver (On the wheat, next to the river and the corn)
New Orleans
Dallas (1 tile N of the oil)
Saskatoon
Vancouver
Reno (2 tiles E of the deer)
Los Angeles

Occasionally Guantanamo and Halifax. To date I have never managed a win as America - maybe my city placement is to blame?

Germany:
Berlin
Frankfurt*
Budapest (1 Tile S of the deer, right where the river takes a turn)
Riga
Kiev (Faustindorf)
Rome
Istanbul
Athens
Paris
Moscow
Oslo
London

I tried looking for Sarajevo but I must suck at geography. Anyone know which spot I want?

Danzig is much better, one tile to the NW of the starting tile (Berlin). Coastal city (has more buildings and trade options), gets to work the Swedish Fish and Pig resources and doesn't overlap with Frankfurt.
Thank you. It has also just hit me that some cities cover more than 1 tile. I've tried to update my list to show exact points if anyone has more advice. Since we've moved that city one tile north, does that mean we should build an extra city in central Europe or just be happy Budapest has more breathing room?

I tried looking for Sarajevo but I must suck at geography. Anyone know which spot I want?

Looking in the city name manager it should be the Russian name for the city 4N 2W of Athens but only when it is captured and was previously named "Bosna Saraj" which is the Arab/Turkish name for the city.

Budapest (1 Tile S of the deer, right where the river takes a turn)
Budapest should be able to work both the Copper to the NW and the Iron to the NE if you have it in the best location. I can't see a map to confrim right now though. Frankfurt/Budapest/Danzig is my preferred German city configuration.

I don't go for Kiev, but build my "southern Russian" city right on the Deer. Something starting with an 'A' but I can't remember exactly what it is called at the moment.

Egypt :

Niwt-rst (1N of starting position)
Per-Wadjet (1W of wheat)
Yebu (1W3S of Niwt-rst)
Sena (2E2N of Niwt-rst)
Abdsu (3E1S of Niwt-rst)
Asyut (1S of razed Aksum)

For Egypt (UHV) I prefer:

Siwa 2N2W, a city 2N2W of that as the second, the city on the copper as the third, the city with so many floodplains that isn't on a floodplain as a possible fourth and Jerusalem or Aksum, if there is still time. These are so powerful that they also work on Emperor, latest patch.

I like to have cities which are important today as well, just for the visual aspect, so as Germans I have following cities (flipped or founded , not conquered),

Berlin
Frankfurt
Hamburg (suprisingly big - 13 size, despite only two farms and the rest cottages and water)
Koenigsberg (suprisingly big - 18 size)
Wien (top location, hill SW of copper)
Budapest (1 tile east of deer)

the rest is conquered from France, Netherland,England, Greece etc.

You should found Denver on the oil instead of the wheat. Better production.

IDK if you need to build an improvement on the oil for the UHV instead of a city or fort.

you just need to have it. As in if that was your only resource of oil you could use it. Or, another way to think about it, if you can trade it you own it. You automatically have access to the resource if you find your city on it, like some people do with finding their second Persian city on the horse to the north.

Playing as France:
Paris*
Bordeaux
Marseille
Constance
Rome
New Orleans
Montreal
Louisbourg
Pointe St-Anne

I wanted to get Geneva but once I found the tile I didn't start the city. I am afraid that it either takes too much out of Lyon/Marseille (depending on which start you use) or Paris. Am I wrong?

Is there any merit for any European civ to found Luxemburg or Bruxelles?
Also (sorry for all the questions but you guys have played way more games and have probably tried this already - is there a tile for Andorra la Vella, and is it of any use to France/Spain?

You should found Denver on the oil instead of the wheat. Better production.

IDK if you need to build an improvement on the oil for the UHV instead of a city or fort.
I take it that then means I won't use Dallas as a city (since Denver can now work those cow/horse/coal tiles just north of the bottom river), and would found Houston or take New Orleans and keep it? I just don't like the idea of an America without a huge Texan city :p

The best players have found that the combination of Denver on the oil, Chicago west or south of the lake (it now has acces to a river) and new orleans north of the sea resource are the strongest locations in America, if not in the entire game; I strongly agree with them.:) My other cities would be Vancouver, LA / San Francisco (forgot which one but I think it is obvious when you view the map), and maybe another city on the Uranium resource or next to that. I'm not too sure if I'd build Reno, it takes away some food from the west coast cities and it can't grow quickly if it has no corporation.

What is the best Scandinavian layout? Lulea is an obvious choice I think, Kalmar with three food resources is also pretty good, but what about others? Oslo perhaps, but is Nidaros paying for itself, in stead of wasting tiles that also belong to Lulea / Kalmar / Oslo?

Not all cities have to have great production to be good. I was under the impression New Orleans was a good Great Person farm.

China, with only east Asia:

Beijing* - 1E of starting tile (coast)
Pyongyang - 5E of my Beijing, on pig. Can grow really big and rich.
Hangzhou
Jingdu (Kyoto, Japan)
Dongjing (Tokyo, 3E1N of Kyoto, 1E2S of silver)
Hanoi
Luoyang (plain/hill tile, 4S1W of Beijing)
Guangzhou (poor in prodution but less overlap with Hanoi. Haojing/Macau/Aomen 1E of copper is better choice.)

These 8 cover the richest part of China. Disband Lasa for stability. Addtionally,

Qiqihaer (2WS of deer, northeast of mainland, 13 forests, for national park) is also nice. Expand to America for your 10th. I usually found 3W of New Orleans, Denver and Chicago.

3W of New Orleans - has corn, spice, deer, fish, oil, aluminum, can be a good overall city.

New Orleans is mostly used because it is the entry point for a successful colonization of NAm before the Americans show up. Once you build New Orleans the only possible other civs that can build cities are England, Netherlands and Spain, and eventually those cities flip to the Americans or are easily captured by the production of Denver and Chicago. It also overlaps less with Chicago and Denver if you really want these 2 cities. After levees and a powered factory, it is a decent enough city for producing ships if you're going for the American UHV.

I like to get Tultan and Grand Forks after the 3 big cities.

That city is not on the ocean however, New Orleans is.

Looking in the city name manager it should be the Russian name for the city 4N 2W of Athens but only when it is captured and was previously named "Bosna Saraj" which is the Arab/Turkish name for the city.

what is the city manager. I have trouble locating the exact spots that you guys are referring to for city placement. Is there a map that lists city locations?

Top Bottom