Best city placements for various civs

what is the city manager. I have trouble locating the exact spots that you guys are referring to for city placement. Is there a map that lists city locations?

CityNameManager.py is a file in the Assets/Python folder that lists all city names for specific plots. It's difficult to use without experience.

What is the best city placement for india? Assuming Delhi, the holy city to the right of it and bombay are already build as I usually play the 600AD start.

I have attached a picture of India, the red dots are the cities already their and the yellow dots are where I would settle cities, however this gives too many cities and I wondered how I could cut them down.

Attachments

• india.JPG
    india.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 165
One tile north of the marble, location of ancient Harappa. I cannot remember the name in RFC though.

One tile north of the marble, location of ancient Harappa. I cannot remember the name in RFC though.

I think it's named Talkshashila. That is usually my second city when playing as India because it has nice production with all of the hills and marble and enough food to work them.

@Panopticon: Only one city on the greek peninsula? I will usually found Epidamnos south of the iron as a secondary production city and the copper which helps build the Colossus. Even when you're not going for the UHV it's still very helpful for your economy.

Ah, now I remember thanks. I actually went into one of the python files and changed every Takshashila settling location name to Harappa. Makes the game feel even more historical.

Somewhere close to the marble is Lahore. You only need 1 city for a long time, and Takshashila tends to be too close to the Persians for the recent patches and they declare war much sooner. Next location would be Delhi (a little more easterly than start), then send a settler south with 2 spearmen on the shore next to the river. Then when you have workers to spare (plantations take rather too long for my taste), do the city in the NE on the shore. I never found a city on the west coast (Mumbai is never going to grow big), rather my last city is usually south where at least there is a cow. If I am doing really well I build a galley and send some troops to conquer Pagan.

For Greece, Korinthos (on marble) is pretty good for the UHV.
(When I'm not going for the UHV, I prefer Athens + Sparta though.)

Compared with Athens,
1) it gets an extra fish
2) it wastes marble, but its city tile produces 3 hammers (2 from plains hill and 1 from marble) and
3) it doesn't have any peak.

When I play as Japan, I found:

-Tokyo (south side of the river)
-Matsuyama (in the hill tile that's supposed to be the island of Shikoku)
-Sapporo
-Naha (can share Sapporo's gold)
-Seoul (don't remember the Japanese name, it's doable before the Autonomous civ settles there)

At least on the easier difficulties that works wonderfully to me. Since the Japanese historic victory conditions don't depend on wonderbuilding & conquests, settling the cities apart enough (in order for them to have complete or near complete BFCs) will allow for greater city yield by mid & late game (useful for the historic victory conditions). The required conditions are (for those who want to know the synergy between the conditions & the city placement I propose):
Spoiler :
- highest score by 1500 AD: getting more cities allows for more population; & more commerce & production yield (needed for more techs & military).

-No foreign culture in Honshu by 1700 AD (IIRC): getting more spaced cities will be important, since their BFC culture will take the space sooner.

-No city losses by 1850 AD: with fewer & higher yielding cities, getting enough military to defend them will be easier, & with railroads online, getting defenders across the country will be easier.

For Germany, I usually do Danzig, Frankfurt and Budapest.

Frankfurt will flip to you, but about 20% of the time, it will have been razed by barbs. Some of the best spawns have been where I had the opportunity to found Frankfurt (Stuttgart, if you found it, right on the rubble) after it has been razed. The advantage of having it razed, is you can found it on turn 2 and make it your capital.

Berlin is actually not in a very good spot, and you'll have a lot of overlap if you found a city where you spawn. As a result, I found Danzig one NE of spawn point. If Frankfurt has not been razed, I'll make Danzig my capital.

Budapest (4 S, 1 East ) is an awesome city as the game goes on. It rivals Frankfurt for production. It is a good staging point into Greece, Turkey and Russia.

If you did not have to found Stuttgart, save that last settler. Maybe pressure Russia after they spawn and build it on Kiev's location. Maybe just save it for later colonization.

For Greece, Korinthos (on marble) is pretty good for the UHV.
(When I'm not going for the UHV, I prefer Athens + Sparta though.)

Compared with Athens,
1) it gets an extra fish
2) it wastes marble, but its city tile produces 3 hammers (2 from plains hill and 1 from marble) and
3) it doesn't have any peak.

Compared with Athens, when going for the UHV, Korightos wastes an extra turn moving to found the city and as usi says Korinthos wastes the extra commerce from the Marble. The extra seafood resource can't actually be worked until you have some happiness resources hooked up (wine and eventually the gold in Egypt) or Hereditary Rule (which is in my opinion a waste of a turn of anarchy in switching to) and a bunch of military units sitting in your cities.

what is the city manager. I have trouble locating the exact spots that you guys are referring to for city placement. Is there a map that lists city locations?

Pretty sure for the Germans it's Solin and for the Greeks and Romans it's Solonae.

Whenever I play a game in which I am in control of the totallity of western Europe I try to target this city layout:

Pisae (1NW of Rome)
Solin (1N of the Balkan Copper)
Prague (1S of the southern German cows)
Samarobriva or Amiens (1NE of Paris/French spawn)
Kiel (2S of the Danish pigs)
Brest (NW tip of France)
Satander (1NW of the Spanish iron)
Tolouse (on the French horses) can be founded late as it doesn't shine until the alumninum, uranium, and the corn appears
Carthago Novo (the hill 1S of the Spanish silver)
Lisbon (Portuguese spawn)

I cannot begin to stress enough the economic and productive metropolis Samarobriva becomes. Its fat cross of nothing but grassland and a bit of coast, 6 food resources, iron, coal, and marble, and to top it all off every single one of (yes every single of the 16) land squares is on a river.

Dragonxander PR, I do not believe you are playing the latest version of RFC.

Compared with Athens, when going for the UHV, Korightos wastes an extra turn moving to found the city and as usi says Korinthos wastes the extra commerce from the Marble. The extra seafood resource can't actually be worked until you have some happiness resources hooked up (wine and eventually the gold in Egypt) or Hereditary Rule (which is in my opinion a waste of a turn of anarchy in switching to) and a bunch of military units sitting in your cities.

Two less coins due to wasting marble doesn't quite matter, since Korinthos grows faster - quicker to build workboats and quicker to gain more population - and thereby produce everything more.

Also, what matters in the Greek UHV is nothing but Oracle (and occasionally the ToA). With Korinthos, we can finish the Oracle in the turn 74 (or faster, since I usually allow Korinthos to grow and not completely optimize production), which is as fast as the fastest way in the wiki.

Usi, go to the Quickest UHV thread and read about Blizzrd's strategy and time for the Greeks. He knows what he is talking about. The strategy involves taking the best cities of the ancient Mediterranean. Babylon, an already improved city, will build the oracle faster I believe than Korinthos. This will let Athens take a slow start, but in the end it will become a better city. Using his strategy I won the UHV in 10 B.C.E., and I believe he was able to win in 25 B.C.E.

Dragonxander PR, I do not believe you are playing the latest version of RFC.
I am not, I'm still using the 3.19 standard RFC mod (the one included with the game). I need to buy WinZip in order to download the next version (the WinZip demo expired to me some weeks ago), so I still can't download the current version (unless someone links me the .exe version of the current version).

You don't need WinZip to open .zip files! 7zip is one of many pieces of free software which can. If you have Windows Vista you shouldn't need software at all. The same goes for Windows XP if you have service pack 2 if I recall correctly.

Usi, go to the Quickest UHV thread and read about Blizzrd's strategy and time for the Greeks. He knows what he is talking about. The strategy involves taking the best cities of the ancient Mediterranean. Babylon, an already improved city, will build the oracle faster I believe than Korinthos. This will let Athens take a slow start, but in the end it will become a better city. Using his strategy I won the UHV in 10 B.C.E., and I believe he was able to win in 25 B.C.E.

I haven't read that thread, and, yeah, that's a truly great strategy!
I guess I'll try it out if I won't have too much homework to do in this summer.

But if one is trying to win the Greek UHV certainly (i.e., if one prioritizes the chance of winning over the speed it takes to win), I still believe that Korinthos is better than Athens or Babylon.
So much as I have tried, Korinthos could finish the Oracle in the turn 70, while it took 73 turns in Babylon. Of course, as Blizzrd pointed out, finishing the Oracle early can delay the achievement of the entire UHV, and thus Korinthos might be meaningful only for this purpose.

I belong to the Corinthians. (Favor it while trying to maximize my cities playing Conquest) 1 extra food in the longterm means an extra 3-4 population (Athens rarely grows beyond 17 even with corps).

Top Bottom