1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Civ for Culture victory

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by therottweiler, Oct 3, 2013.

1. therottweiler

therottweiler Chieftain

What in your opinion is the best Civ for a cultural victory?

In my running are Celts because of an easy first religion, Egypt because of the wonder bonus and Alexander easily allying with the culture city states.

Please chime in...

2. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

I'm currently using Alexander and grabbing patronage. It is a strong combination, but there are a lot of other Civ's I haven't tried much.

3. therottweiler

therottweiler Chieftain

Yeah I was thinking that could be very potent.

4. ixias

ixias Chieftain

Well the two obvious ones are France and Brazil for their additional tourism bonuses. Ethiopia would be better than the Celts if you're talking about a religious CV. India is the only civ with a UB that produces Tourism, so that's helpful-ish.

Any Civ that has a UI that produces culture (Polynesia, France, Brazil, and now Japan) will eventually have that converted to tourism through hotels. Sweden is good if you make a lot of friends for all the extra Great Artist, Writer, or Musician production.

The problem with Egypt is that, especially on higher difficulties, that slight boost to Wonder production may not be enough if your tech rate isn't great. It'll help you get your National Wonders out faster (Oxford & Hermitage for theming bonuses), so that's helpful.

Between Aesthetics and the 5 World Congress resolutions (Cultural Heritage Sites, Arts Funding, World's Fair, Historical Monuments, and especially International Games) you should be fine with any civ. The above 5 are generally very easy to pass and will help immensely. If you can get a dominant Religion, the World Religion will help as well, but keep in mind that civs who founded their own religion won't be happy with that.

5. LoriKe

LoriKe Chieftain

France of course if u can grab some cultural wonders with asrt slots the theming bonus can be really powerfull not to speak about the chateu

6. isau

isau Warlord

Brazil assuming you can survive until Universities.

7. Atinuviel

Atinuviel Chieftain

Religious Civs if you're going for the Sacred Site spam strategy. So Ethiopia, Byzantine, Spain (if you get an awesome faith NW start), and possibly Celts.

Brazil and Polynesia work well too. I find Maya to work fine also since you can get your free Great Person often to get your theming bonus in a pinch.

8. Resipsa

Resipsa Chieftain

I like Brazil but I tend to war a bit in my CV games so I use Autocracy

9. roymend

roymend Chieftain

I can't see why Alex is good for CV. Culture from CSs isn't converted to tourism.

10. Alziel

Alziel Chieftain

As everybody else has said, Brazil and France would seem to be the best on paper but for some reason my fastest and easiest Culture Victory so far was with Portugal whereas my slowest was with Brazil! (Both Emperor level)

I have no idea why - it must have just been the way those particular games played out.

11. Ozymandias9891

Ozymandias9891 Chieftain

I had a pretty quick and easy cultural victory with Poland. Solidarity as a UA is very underrated in contrast to how it really affects the course of a game.

12. therottweiler

therottweiler Chieftain

Really.. that sucks. :(

13. NoOneImportant

NoOneImportant Chieftain

What? Solidarity is widely considered as one of, if not THE most versatile and powerful UA for any VC.
    As for the original question: I think Maya are great for cultural victory. Extra science, faith and free great people make game this much easier - GS for planting + GE for a wonder that is impossible to get otherwise (on high difficulty level, I mean) + free cultural GPs. What's not to like there?

14. Ozymandias9891

Ozymandias9891 Chieftain

I'm basing that statement on a discussion I've had with a few friends who were bashing it because it's only something you get to use in a "limited manner".

15. fyar

fyar Chieftain

I haven't tried it yet, but I have to imagine that the winner is Poland. For any other civ, it's pretty hard to squeeze in Aesthetics if you're also trying to get through Tradition, Consulates, Rationalism, and your ideology. For Poland, you can just pick up the entire Aesthetics tree along the way, and you can even open Exploration just for the Louvre, or go through Piety. I'm saving this strategy for the first time I try a cultural victory on Deity.

Unfortunately, Poland's unique ability is so overpowered that the correct answer might be Poland if this question was asked about any victory condition. Diplo? Free Patronage tree. Science? Free Rationalism tree. Domination? Free Honor tree. As NoOne and most others have said, you can do pretty much anything with Poland.

16. fyar

fyar Chieftain

What's the "limited manner"? Having to go through all the different eras?

"Man, I would really like to take advantage of Poland's unique ability and grab a free social policy, but to do that, I would have to.... advance to the Medieval Era. I just don't know if that's worth the effort...."

17. Ozymandias9891

Ozymandias9891 Chieftain

Hey man, don't tell me that...I enjoyed playing as Poland, and I always place a lot of importance on being ahead of the loop for my techs. I was just pointing out what other people had told me.

18. fyar

fyar Chieftain

I know that's not what you were saying. I realize that we're in agreement, I'm just having a hard time based on what you've said what your friends' argument against Poland was exactly.

19. Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus Chieftain

Brazil!

The jungle start can be really challenging at the beginning, but they really pick up steam in a fun way. And declaring modern era wars to rack up golden age points is fun and prevents a cultural victory from becoming a 'wait out the clock' kind of victory condition, you can use war to drive yourself toward more carnivals!

20. Resipsa

Resipsa Chieftain

^This right here, folks