Best Civ for Dramatic Age

Tried Eleanor on Immortal. Lost and re-captured one city during the classical dark age, but after that between GWAMs, flipping cities, and blasting through the civic tree it's non-stop golden ages.

Flipping a free city isn't any different than flipping an AI city for Eleanor, so I felt like Dramatic Ages are kind of moot.

Does she immediately gain Free Cities, or does she have to wait for the countdown?

So much depends on your position. City states are immune from loyalty pressure, so if there are a couple of those between you and a mass of free cities, you are protected. Seems a bit inconsistent. I ran a DA game with Babylon in the mix to see how they would get on - they were bulldozed by Spain in short order, demonstrating that yes, an AI civ will conquer another AI civ.

Does she immediately gain Free Cities, or does she have to wait for the countdown?

She has to wait. I'm doing another playthrough on Immortal and much less impressed this time around....

Edit: Nevermind. Had my dark age, flipped the lost cities back in a few turns, and snowballed out of control from there. Eleanor+Dramatic Ages breaks the game.

Last edited:
I think the wrong question is being asked.

If you want to see dramatic ages you want to pick a map. TSL Earth is a good one.
I just played a game on one of my scrambled maps. Maori on Greenland ->

IDK if you can see from the mini map but almost all of Greenland (apart from Canada) eventually fell into dark ages and free cities. Kupe settled (the green) Iceland. A super quick religious victory :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom