Best Civ for Real Start Earth Map in VI

diggerjohn111

Chieftain
I have been fascinated by the real start map and I find that isolated civs like the Australians, Aztecs and Americans tend to have really nice starts if you are going for anything besides culture or religious victories. I was wondering what you guys think. My current bet on higher difficulties are the Aussies.

Australia seems tailor-made for the TSL map. You get the Great Barrier Reef for an awesome second city, and you don't have to worry about getting attacked so you can focus on building coastal campuses and commercial hubs. You also get a ton of pasture tiles for culture bombs and outback stations. On the other hand Summeria and Scythia are both in a position to dominate most of the map with their early bonuses. It's a viable question but I think Australia wins.

Who would you say has it the hardest? England seemed really tough when I tried...
I think England is the toughest to win with in general, their bonuses are meh. The Royal Naval Yard is so-so at best and the Sea Dog doesn't really help much and by the time you have Redcoats one or more of the AI/human players already have infantry anyway. On this map England has to hurry and rush settle more than just about anyone, especially if you have Germany, Norway, Rome and/or France in the game. I have to agree, England is tough. I really have to get better and braver and try them on this map.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you play anything below King.

Also on higher for most people here. Sometimes it's as if Deity is the average difficulty played on this forum.

Yeah, if you play anything below King.

I'd go with the human player even on Deity. The AI falls into military traps at least as often in the current patch of Civ VI as it did in the Civ V BNW last patch.

Australia is so OP here it's not even funny. The whole secluded continent filled with pastures that you can surround with outback stations?
Not as easy as you may think... I've tried my first game on this map as Australia and there are a few challenges, especially if you aren't too familiar with the map like me. Those pastures can turn against you (one attempt I had 3 barb horsemen in my capital turn 18) - also there is a serious lack of luxury resources. None in the range of the default capital location, and only pearls on the physical Australian landmass. I'm on turn 120 with 5 cities now, the fifth one is in Indonesia because I really wanted (needed more like) to get those spices. Can't get to NZ due to ocean tiles. On the plus side I managed to rush early faith to ge Desert Folklore and have Petra too. I'm going to try cultural. No idea if i'm doing it right but its a learning experinace. Comparing the turn number to a 'normal' game, I'm seriously behind on and still suck at science (neglected Campus in exchange for Commercial / Holy and Theatre) - that could prove to be a critical error but we'll see. Can't wait to unlock Guilds and get those Outback Stations!

"I'm going to try cultural. No idea if i'm doing it right but its a learning experinace." - It seems that they specifically designed Australia to win with any path, though domination might be tricky. I won through science, but culture is no less viable.

I'd go with the human player even on Deity. The AI falls into military traps at least as often in the current patch of Civ VI as it did in the Civ V BNW last patch.
Have gone into games with the same mindset to find that while I was building up for a major boot stomping that I had lost culturally.

When I play on TSL Earth map, I like to play as Spain or England and I make sure that no N.American or S.American Civs exist in the game. That means no America, Aztecs or Brazil. This lets me try to rush settle the "New World."
You could also try Japan and try to make an empire out of SE Asia and Australia. Or Play as Rome and take over all of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.
TSL Earth maps are versatile because you can control which civs will even spawn on the map. But I do understand some people will see this as an exploit, but I think its fun.

Can you control which civs spawn in the advanced setup then? Not tried that yet!

Top Bottom