Best Civ for...

Greywulf

King
I'd like to see an accurate list that describes the best civ/leader for anything that is possible within the game, whether it's best civ/leader for a certain environment, a specific era, a particular strategy or win condition, best combination, etc...Anything you can think of.
I'll start with one of the most obvious ones...

Best civ/leader for science: Korea/Seondeok.

#Personal Opinion

Best civ/leader for science victory: Greece/Pericles
Best civ/leader for cultural victory: Russia/Peter
Best civ/leader for religious victory: Byzantium/Basil
Best civ/leader for domination victory: Gran Columbia/Simon Bolivar
Best civ/leader for diplomatic victory: China/Qin

#Personal Opinion

Best civ/leader for science victory: Greece/Pericles
Best civ/leader for cultural victory: Russia/Peter
Best civ/leader for religious victory: Byzantium/Basil
Best civ/leader for domination victory: Gran Columbia/Simon Bolivar
Best civ/leader for diplomatic victory: China/Qin

Cool! Maybe Basil is the best one for the combo of religion and domination.

Best civ/leader for getting lots and lots of money: Mali/Mansa Musa
Best civ/leader for settling in the desert: Mali/Mansa Musa

Best civ/leader for exploration: Maori/Kupe

Cool! Maybe Basil is the best one for the combo of religion and domination.

Best civ/leader for getting lots and lots of money: Mali/Mansa Musa
Best civ/leader for settling in the desert: Mali/Mansa Musa
I do not get why Pericles is good for science.

Best civ to spawn next to: Georgia/Tamar

I don't play enough different civs so I have to qualify my answers with specific map types or modes.

Best Sim City mode on Deity: Kupe/Maori on a Terra map. Also Best Approach to Dramatic Ages Mode :mischief:
Best fun with Apocalypse mode: Peter/Russia on a tundra map
Most Colorful Map when viewing with yields on: Bull Moose Teddy. Pick the largest yield-bearing wonders for added fun.
Best Civ to be playing when forward settled by AI: Ottoman/Suleiman. If you're lucky the AI will take your best spots and build a few wonders for you while you promote Ibrahim. :rolleyes:

Well, in general good culture civs will do well with SV because unlocking cards/governments provides can boost science. In particular, the late game techs are very expensive and Globalization Civic gives a card that give +5% science per CS ally, which Greece excels at securing. Pericles has insane culture making the civic tree a mostly downhill ride, and every incentive to invest in having CS friends from the start.

Best Civ = the Civ whose music you like best, you are going to listen to variations of it for hours

Culture is super important in science games, and Pericles has a cheap TS with good adjacencies. And even more useful is his ability to be suzerain of city states, and the best way to have a lot of science / culture / production is to be suzerain of as many city states as possible, build Kilwa and get to globalization / social media for the +5% of science / culture per city states you are suzerain of. Finally, the wildcard slot can be translated into a religion for example, and good faith is always useful, especially for a good early game monumentality, as the earliest you have a city the earlier you can get a campus.
He also has a hill bonus, and so this can almost guarantee high production cities, which is obviously important for space projects.

Best civ for re-rolling your start for four hours until you get that start position which is juuuuuuuuuuust right: Dutch, Inca, Maya, Ethiopia

I would also add Spain to this list.

Best civ for re-rolling your start for four hours until you get that start position which is juuuuuuuuuuust right: Dutch, Inca, Maya, Ethiopia
For some reason Germany would also make it on this list.

I don't play enough different civs so I have to qualify my answers with specific map types or modes.

Best Sim City mode on Deity: Kupe/Maori on a Terra map. Also Best Approach to Dramatic Ages Mode :mischief:
Best fun with Apocalypse mode: Peter/Russia on a tundra map
Most Colorful Map when viewing with yields on: Bull Moose Teddy. Pick the largest yield-bearing wonders for added fun.
Best Civ to be playing when forward settled by AI: Ottoman/Suleiman. If you're lucky the AI will take your best spots and build a few wonders for you while you promote Ibrahim. :rolleyes:

Actually I think Best Approach to Dramatic Ages is Byzantium. You just print era score once you go to war since every city conversion gets you 3 points. I had double the industrial golden age requirement in one of my recent games.

Add Kupe and Bull Moose to this list. Bull Moose goes from vanilla civ with no bonuses to incredible early game powerhouse based on the start. Starting next to a natural wonder as Bull Moose feels like an insta-win. Inca I feel is pretty robust, I've never felt like I've had a bad start as Inca.

Best Civ for Ancient Era War: Sumeria, Nubia or Gaul
Best Civ for Work Ethic: Russia or Brazil
Best Civ for Earth Goddess: Ethiopia
Best Civ on a Coastal Map: Maori

Just choose the new Highlands map for Inca or Ethiopia and you won't need to reroll. :mischief:

Best Civ for winning Diplomacy Victory ASAP: Maori

Period. No other civ comes close. I'm not talking about consistency or dragging it out into the late game. I'm talking about SPEED only.

There are only 3 factors that matter to win ASAP:

1. Meeting all the AI's ASAP, which Maori can EASILY do faster than anyone else because they move faster on water than anyone else does on land OR water, even with land units. In fact, early boats are slower than land units.

2. EARLY Science Boost, so that the first World Congress comes faster. Other than that, Science doesn't matter. Maori gets a HUGE Science boost by starting with 2 FREE technologies. By the time any other civ catches up to that Science advantage, it's too late and no longer matters.

3. Building the Statue of Liberty ASAP, because you need to build it by the time you have enough points otherwise to win. What's more important than the hammers to build it are the culture required to get there, and Maori gets a HUGE early/mid-game culture boost when it matters. Then, you can just chop all those forests that helped you get the culture when you need the hammers, if you even need to (which you shouldn't, playing optimally).

There's literally only 3 things that matter to win a diplomatic victory as soon as possible, and Maori excels in every single category. No contest.

Top Bottom