1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Civ game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Timsup2nothin, Jun 24, 2018.

?

Best Civ game

1. Civilization...this one perhaps merits some votes as it is unquestionably the most original offering

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Civ II...established the fact that Civ, in some iteration, was never going away

11 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Alpha Centauri...the same conflicts that a space race victory supposedly solved, in space

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Civ III...Meanwhile back on Earth, we're still playing Civ

15 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. Civ IV...an added dimension, visually and otherwise

59 vote(s)
    50.9%
  6. Civ V...tiles get extra points, but only one unit

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. Beyond Earth...it's back to Alpha Centauri, but don't tell the copyright holders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Civ VI...maintaining Civ as the deepest series in Roman numerals of all time

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Given the uproar developing in the video games thread it looks like it is time for yet another place to brawl out the eternal question.

2. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

I’ve only played 4, 5, BE, and 6. Out of all of them, I prefer Civilization V though I’m a huge sci-fi nerd so I enjoy Beyond Earth considerably (though Endless Legend is better).

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Civ: vi name, Emacs quality.
    Makes the others look they were written with an oil-soaked puffin.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

IV. Not even especially close.

Honourable mention to SMAC, but it hasn't aged very well.

5. Timsup2nothin

Apparently neither have I, since SMAC got my vote...Civ IV my second choice though I must admit I haven't tried anything newer yet.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Oh yeah, SMAC was the best. You should have listed it as SMAC and not alpha centuari

7. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Civ 3 with all of its expansions. Still remains the most fun for me, and it still remains the absolute easiest Civ game to mod. This is evidenced by the fact that Civ 3's creation and customization forum on this very site is by far the largest of the modding subforums and still has a decent amount of activity in it.

And it really is the modding ability that makes Civ 3 the best of the series in my opinion because the sheer amount of options available for modding allow for the creation of a wide range of mods that go beyond just adding on to the basic Civ formula. For the other Civ games, the mods are really just cosmetic with maybe some minor gameplay tweaks, whereas Civ 3 has mods ranging from Space Opera, to The Cold War, to Escape From Zombie Island (still the absolute best Civ 3 mod to date in my opinion).

I mean, would something like Escape From Zombie Island even be possible with other Civ games? I think not.

Kyriakos likes this.
  8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Civvi? Civ-vi. Of course.

I have only played civ1, civ2, alpha centauri and civ3 (just a few minutes of civ4).
    Civ2 is very likely the game i have spent most hours on, but i still play civ3 from time to time, albeit rarely.

Voted for civ3, due to nepotism and being a modder there.
    It does have some great scenarios, yes :)

9. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Civ1 has the "first of the line" prestige.
    Civ2 was pretty awesome at the time, with a large increase in scope and polish.
    Civ3 is clearly the most immersive, and spearheaded most of the best innovation.
    Civ4 has incredibly subtle design and refined mechanisms, and is clearly the best overall.
    Civ5 and subsequent are dog crap, ruining an up to then unblemished franchise.

SMAC is a bit of an outlier. It's really great, but age has taken a greater toll on it. Still a somewhat different take on the franchise.

10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Civ 2 first game with mods which extended the playability
    My favourite was WH40k

11. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I think comparing games must be like comparing cars: naturally newer ones are more polished, sophisticated and "better". A fair comparison is between a game and its peers of the same period.

In this case, with the caveat that I stopped playing after Civ V, I would say that without a shadow of doubt Civ 2 is the best. It was just light years ahead of other strategy games of the time, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Owen Glyndwr likes this.
  12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Seriously though my personal preferred and most played edition is definitely Civ5+BNW. Civ6 is cool and all with some nice features but it's lacking in some important areas. I haven't played Rise and Fall but I'm not that stoked about it's features. Civ5 didn't really become great until it's second ex pack perhaps the same will be the case for Civ6.
    Civ4 was my entry to the series and ignited that special civ thrill in me. Was a superb game but suffered from a dull late game with way too many units and micro and I rarely finished my games.

13. Darsnan

Darsnan Chieftain

SMACX: from all the great tech quotes, to the Wonder movies, and to being able to put the evil Yang or Zakarov into the Punishment Sphere and watch them burn for their crimes, no other game has so truly embodied the "just one more turn" theme more than SMACX has.

D

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I recently played SMAC, and yes, it has aged badly in parts. For example there is no unit animation. That game was very stylish in its time, though :)

15. Darsnan

Darsnan Chieftain

Yes it does have unit animation, as the CVR files do show movement (for example, the weapons recoiling after firing). Granted you do have to zoom really close to see the movement, but it is there

D

16. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I've played 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Hated Civ 2. I enjoy 3, 4, 5. 6 is... okay.

I occasionally replay 3 and 4 every couple years. I go back to Civ 5 more than I do the others. So I guess Civ 5 is my favourite. I don't like UPT but I cheat and avoid war so it never comes up as an issue.

17. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

My first exposure to Civ 2 (and the Civ series for that matter) was the Playstation version of Civ 2. Later I played the PC version, but found it to somehow be less enjoyable than the Playstation version.

18. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

I am pretty sure I played some of the Civ II and find it fun but I really got passionate with Civ III. (as already mentioned it got some cool scenarios and more) till the Civ IV came along which made me to drop Civ III almost instantly. The critique is correct that late game in Civ 4 is absolutely tedious but I make it a point to use cavalry as Genghis Khan would so I barely peep into the modern era. When I played Civ 5 it was like I am being punished and restricted in the same time - it was betrayal of all my hopes what could civ game become. After watching some reviews I didnt even touched the VI.

That being said playing games is becoming increasingly silly way of spending my time and even though I indulge it still quite a bit I am glad I am slowly moving off and on.

19. Timsup2nothin

I'm always impressed that despite all the "hasn't aged well" comments SMACX is once again holding its own. As a counter to "hasn't aged well," consider that it must be doing it pretty well given just how much aging it has done. SMAC is coming up on twenty years old. How many games running graphics that are old enough to vote have game play that makes them even playable, much less competitive with current games?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  20. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Civ 5 < Beyond Earth < Civ 2 < Civ 4 < Modded Civ 5