1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Civ III Strategy Articles

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Aiolos, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Aiolos

Aiolos Chieftain

So I am getting CIV III Complete for Mac, and I just wanted to get a little bit of reading in, so im not totally lost. I am an Emperor level player in CIV IV, so I understand the concepts, but like I said I want to brush up. Does the CivFanatics community have any specific recommendations?

2. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

I'd recommend Cracker's Opening Plays, the Basics or Armies and Faster Expansion articles.

Getting an army in CivIII is important. I don't mean a collection of military units, I mean the Leader who you turn into an army.

In CivIII more cities is always better, hence the faster expansion article. You can't kill your economy by having too many cities. CivIII isn't a simpler version of IV but a very different game. Forget about nice resource trades - in III you often have to kill somebody to pry the luxuries from their cold/dead hands. And road every square a city works.

3. Aiolos

Aiolos Chieftain

Thanks for the quickie ;) ill head over to Strategy Articles now.

4. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Welcome to CFC, Aiolos!

Like Ataxerxes said, Cracker's Opening Plays is a very good start. I'd also recommend "Warmongering 101: A Practical Primer" by scoutsout and "Babylon's Deity Settlers" by Bamspeedy.

5. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

And then you have to murder some other jerk because he won't give you the Strategic Resource you need to build your Spaceship/United Nations.

6. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Also, these aren't articles, but check out the second link in Aabraxan's sig.

7. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

And then you have to kill all the jerks that they have an MPP with. Just to be safe and save time, kill them all.

Also, check out some of the training day games - they often give step-by-step instructions on how to execute the information contained in the articles. I like this one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=81351

8. Aiolos

Aiolos Chieftain

Much thanks all :) very helpfull.. It is totally different from IV

9. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

No question. There was a recent thread of III vs. IV where people went into some of the aspects of IV they didn't like as compared to III. It does show some of the most important differences.

As you can probably tell from our comments, war is usually an even bigger factor of the game in III. Your best friends can attack you and Right of Passage is dangerous because of ROP-rape (a declaration of war doesn't boot units out of each others territory, so some undefended or lightly defended city in the middle of your empire can be taken on their turn if you have Right of Passage. And all the other aspects of war mentioned. Also, more cities is almost always better in III (no maintenance).

You can see several games in the stories and tales to get a feel. Vxma did a regent game as an example a while back that's in strategy articles. Gives a very nice intro to the game. Although, as he complains about, he got some good luck early that made it too easy for him.

Also, space, cultural and diplo victories work differently. In diplomatic there's no more diplomation - all Civs get one vote so you bribe everybody before the vote (ah, the old fashioned way to get elected). Cultural is either one city or empire-wide so don't worry about #2 and #3 going legendary. I think most of us wind up with conquest or domination - after you war for all the reasons above you aren't too far from it anyway and have a good army.

10. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

There are other ways to get elected?

11. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

According to CivIV there is the Soviet method of election. Countries votes are on the basis of population, so if you subjugate most of the world eventually you can outvote all the other independent countries. I've won CivIV diplomatic by having only 1/3 of the countries vote for me (those that did were my vassals).

At least Civ shows people how elections are won.:) Good teaching tool.

CivIII is based one the 19th century model of an honest politician.

12. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

I can't read the last two words together. If I cover the second one with my hand, the first one says "honest." If I cover the first one, the second one reads "politician." But trying to read them together is making blood run down the walls and shuggoths come out from under the bed.:crazyeye:

13. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

"An honest politician is one who, when bought, stays bought." was the phrase I was thinking of. I agree that most politicians have become so used to prostituting themselves for everything that they have no more moral sense. Then again, maybe they got into politics because they were that way. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

In Civ3 bribes work. The ones you've bribed will usually vote for you. In CivIV unsoliticited bribes don't help them like you, so it's much harder to get a straight diplo victory. For me in IV, I build the UN to speed up a conquest/domination victory and outvote everybody else. Some poor guy from IV builds the UN, figures he's got 50% of the world population so he's immune to any UN problems, doesn't bribe anybody and loses.:sad:

14. Aiolos

Aiolos Chieftain

Oh.. So thats interesting. How much money goes into a successful bribe?

15. CKS

CKS Chieftain

About 100g. There is an article in the war academy on how to get the AI to like you (AI attitudes). They like small amounts of cash, ROP, trading, etc.

However, to win the vote, one should generally declare war on the other guy and bribe the voters into allying with you against your opponent. If they like you okay and are at war with your opponent, they'll vote for you. The size of the bribe in this case varies depending on how much they want to be at war. I've had them pay me for the privilege. This way you don't have to worry about who the voters like better, only about do they like you enough to vote rather than abstaining.

SirPleb played a GOTM as always war until the turn before he completed the UN, whereupon he made peace and won diplomatically by bribing the remaining voters appropriately.