SaveMeJeebus

Chieftain
Military Civ-
Cultural Civ-
Diplomatic Civ-
Science Civ-
Faith Civ-
All around best-

Moderator Action: Moved to general discussion.

Military Civ-England, China, Mongols
Cultural Civ-Siam, Egypt, France
Diplomatic Civ- Babylon, Korea, Sweden
Science Civ-Babylon, Korea, Maya
Faith Civ-Celts, Ethiopia, Byzantines
All around best- Huns (great plains duel setting)

I would argue that Ethiopia is the best, all rounded civ. You can pick Ethiopia and win in any way you want, but it's particularly suited for Domination. With a guaranteed religion, you can run a pantheon of your choice to tailor toward the kind of victory you want to play.

Arabia is also very good, but I feel that the lack of religion bonuses holds it back in domination due to happiness problems.

Celts have faster religion and a +3 happiness unique building. With your own criteria, that makes them better than Ethiopia.

Military Civ-
Cultural Civ-
Diplomatic Civ-
Science Civ-
Faith Civ-
All around best-

Babylon & Korea are the best science civs. (Babylon = free great scientist with Writing & +50% great science points.) Korea getting free "boost" every time a science building or wonder in the capital is complete.

Science trumps everything so that makes those two best all around as well. I'd put my edge on Babylon since one of Korea's UUs is worse than the standard unit, and Babylon gets their first part of the bonus quicker (with discovery Writing while Korea needs to build a library in addition to discovering.)

Culture: Probably Siam since they get bonuses for cultural city states

Diplomatic: All civs as there is no need to be game long allies going for diplomatic victory; much cheaper in fact to save your cash for the end of the game and ally then; (followed by DOW of everyone the turn before the vote)

Faith: Maya edges out Ethiopia. Both have faith UBs, but Maya also gets several free people; one of which can be a Great Prophet.

Military Civ- Huns, Mongols, Germans, Rome, China
Cultural Civ- Siam, Egypt, France
Diplomatic Civ- Egypt, Siam, Arabs
Science Civ- Babylon, Maya
Faith Civ- Celts, Ethiopia
All around best- Romans, Egypt, Americans

Celts have faster religion and a +3 happiness unique building. With your own criteria, that makes them better than Ethiopia.

Correction, Celts have a faster pantheon. Ethiopia has a very real chance of getting a faster religion with the Stele and gets more faith in the long term because unlike forests you never have a reason to destroy a monument.

Correction, Celts have a faster pantheon.

It depends on whether the player chooses a faith pantheon, how aggressively they pursue faith through Pictish Warrior kills, and even how fast they expand to found more cities (among other variables). But, yes, they aren't guaranteed to get a religion faster. I also agree that the Stele produces more faith per turn later on.

For all around best I would say Persia and Arabia. Persia especially for multiplayer since Arabia loses one of it's biggest advantages against human players (selling luxes).

I'm surprised people cited Ethiopia being good for domination. They seem more defensively oriented with their bonus for fighting civs with more cities (something that's likely to disappear once you start conquering) and their unique unit that gets a bonus only when close to the capital.

And what about Songhai for Cultural? Surely +2 culture from their temples is pretty useful...

I think he means on Immortal/Deity where the AI will have more cities than you for 90% of the game. It is a free combat boost.

Agreed with Arabia being damn good for most categories. Especially in G&K.

I'm surprised people cited Ethiopia being good for domination. They seem more defensively oriented with their bonus for fighting civs with more cities (something that's likely to disappear once you start conquering) and their unique unit that gets a bonus only when close to the capital.

And what about Songhai for Cultural? Surely +2 culture from their temples is pretty useful...

As far as Ethiopia is concerned, against a civ with fewer cities, you should be crushing it anyway so the bonus is not needed. Otherwise, 20% is really strong.

Flat culture bonus doesn't really help cultural victory, because generally speaking cultural victory depends on multipliers. Songhai is better suited for other things.

1st Runners-up

Military Civ- China Japan/Mongolia
Cultural Civ- Poland? France/Aztecs
Diplomatic Civ- Greece Sweden/Polynesia
Science Civ- Maya Korea/Babylon
Faith Civ- Ethiopia Celts/Byzantium
All around best- Russia America/Inca

It might be slightly different, I've only put in each civ once.

I would say Arabia or Ethiopia are the strongest in any situation. However pretty much every civ can be good given the right stipulation. In terms of who I find to work the best; its the Inca or Iroquois. I play well with the terrain bonuses.

I would say Babylon could be in the running for Science, Military, Diplomatic, and all-around. That free GS you get in the 20's really does something for your game. It basically doubles your bpt at that point and it just snowballs later on.

Top Bottom