Best Civs for Culture and Science Victories?

Agamemnomnom

Chieftain
Hey all! First-time poster here. Been playing Civ since Revolution but am just now getting serious about it.

I'm going for a culture victory, but I'm not sure what the best Civ for the job is. I've gotten one on Prince difficulty with Pericles (my fav for culture victories,) but I was wondering if there are other civs I should be playing as.

Also interested in civs good for science victories as I have not gone for one yet.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This depends on the dlcs you own. Im Korea is a great go for a first SV but you need Rise and Fall for them. If you just have the base game I like germany for science since they have a high production (which you need for the space race parts) and have more districts faster, there is no real bonus to science though.
For a CV you can always go with Russia as well. The faith helps to buy nationalists and rockbands and you get a ton of extra GP points for all kind of artists as well. If you have them you can also try Ethipoia (also high faith plus you can buy archaeologists and archaeological museums with faith plus there is tourism on your UI) or Vietnam (UD give tourism and does not take a district slot, they can start planting trees and get high appeal early and are super easy to defend with).

Base game or do you have the expansions? Anyway, with every leader in the game considered, here's a short list:

- Culture:
Elearnor of Aquitane (works with both France and England)
France in general.
China
Russia
Sweden
Greece
Kongo

- Science:
Korea (easiest one no doubt)
Babylon (tons of fun and easier on epic/marathon speed, but not recommended for new players, you have to focus your whole game on getting eurekas)
Scotland
Germany
Gaul maybe (didn't try it yet, it just makes some sense because of unique industrial zone)

Also Japan is good for either of these (and pretty much anything really, it's just a very easy civ to play with if you are new to the game).

Gaul maybe (didn't try it yet, it just makes some sense because of unique industrial zone)

I dont think Gaul is too good at SVs, at least fast ones. Sure they get a unique IZ but its advantage is that you get it early not that it gets great production (ofc you can get super lucky and have find the perfect tile for good adjacencies but Germany or Japan for example just build them theirselves so they can get higher yields reliably). Also with the changes to gauls district placement its often hard to get good adjacencies for your campusses as well. Imo gaul work best for either diplomatic or domination victory.
The rest of your list is great though :)

Guys, come on, don't be like Saxy Gamer lol. Wilhelmina is a top culture and science civ. +2 from riverside is a powerhouse.

I find Russia or Japan to be the easiest for cultural victory - they both get bonuses towards culture and religion, which are the two key drivers for a cultural victory. And 1/2 price districts that will give you great writers, artists, musicians allow you to build them quickly in all cities.

For science, in addition to the ones mentioned I like Australia - high adjacencies for campuses, ability to expand into inhospitable regions (so you can build lots of cities), and the bonuses to growth let you build large, productive cities for the space race.

Top Bottom