Best civs for science?

Patty14

Chieftain
What are the best civs for science, including only the civ's from BNW + vanilla (not G&K or any DLC like Babylon).

Thanks!

I'm not sure what that leaves us with but I will say England's double spy makes them the best.

With Vanilla-only civs and no DLC, I'm thinking:

Emperor and below : Siam Wat Abuse. (Legalism free cultural building)

Immortal and above: England's extra spy to steal from 2 AIs at the same time the moment espionage becomes active.

BNW adds Shoshone if it's a water map so the ruins will stick around longer. (Free techs from huts)

But as the above poster mentioned, overall the top 2 are DLC civs and the 3rd best is G&K. And if there's a nearby science natural wonder then Spain (initially DLC before it was added to everybody for G&K) also has a bonus.

Bit of a dark horse, but Rome's UA and wide tendencies could provide quite a bit of science quicker than some other civs. I agree with what others have said too.

in certain maps Dutch get their really good tile improvement polders in either marsh/ or floodplains.

So if you roll a desert river start with Dutch youre going to be ok I think. Not pure science though...:undecide:

China used to be the bomb in science, but they were nerfed somewhat too...

Does Inca get good science from their mountain tile cities? They can build observatories in all those cities for +50% science.

BUT, the raw food yield is necessary for huge cities, (population is science) and food is necessary to work enough tiles and scientists.

Early game, riverside farms are the bomb - no question about it.

Which Inca would be more powerful, A) more workable regular terrain, with riverlines, but only 1 mountain next to city

Or B) normally mountanous terrain like mountain ranges the Andes etc... More hills means more terrace farm, but much less workable tiles in city radius? I guess, you have to crunch the numbers on that one.

Late game, more workable tiles is more powerful I think...

midgame maybe inca are more powerful with terrace farms

in certain maps Dutch get their really good tile improvement polders in either marsh/ or floodplains.

So if you roll a desert river start with Dutch youre going to be ok I think. Not pure science though...:undecide:

China used to be the bomb in science, but they were nerfed somewhat too...

Does Inca get good science from their mountain tile cities? They can build observatories in all those cities for +50% science.

BUT, the raw food yield is necessary for huge cities, (population is science) and food is necessary to work enough tiles and scientists.

Early game, riverside farms are the bomb - no question about it.

Which Inca would be more powerful, A) more workable regular terrain, with riverlines, but only 1 mountain next to city

Or B) normally mountanous terrain like mountain ranges the Andes etc... More hills means more terrace farm, but much less workable tiles in city radius? I guess, you have to crunch the numbers on that one.

Late game, more workable tiles is more powerful I think...

midgame maybe inca are more powerful with terrace farms

Inca are a dlc team, and the Dutch are from G&K, so neither are included here.

India? Nothing wrong with big cities
Assyria? Can tech steal on conquest
Egypt? Wonder bonus
Rome? Faster building of libraries etc...

why don;t u just buy the DLCs, these are quite cheap ;) The whole game with all dlc and expansions is like 40 eur now, and summer sales are coming soon.

Without em, you play against pretty much same opponents every game.

why don;t u just buy the DLCs, these are quite cheap ;) The whole game with all dlc and expansions is like 40 eur now, and summer sales are coming soon.

Without em, you play against pretty much same opponents every game.

I play mostly multiplayer with my friends, and I can't convince them all to buy the DLC. Sadly I don't think you can use a DLC civ in multiplayer if all the players don't own it. But I may be wrong, have you (or anyone) ever done this?

DLC means Babylon and Korea, whom of course are godly. I more-or-less take the question as, "who's the best at science? Besides Babylon and Korea."

In that case Id recommend Siam using patronage. Firstly you can use legalism to rapidly gain 4 wats, though this requires building monuments and ampitheatres before taking legalism, and the bonus food and culture from city states will help you grow faster and get more policies, and ofc the 33% science gain from city states synergises well with the UA and science victory.

Is scolasticism really worth it even with greece? If you have 10+ CS allies you are winning the game anyway with or without it :)

Just don't vote for yourself. And go for Science victory.

10 allies are not enough for diplo, this is not what I mean. You need to take 2 additional policies instead of something else. After the opener, consulates early game is very useful, especially with Greece, so you basicly need to invest two more.

The 25% bonus applies mostly in the very late game, as you need a lot of time to create these allies. So you have to skip something, so you invest there. What do u skip?

Rationalism? No
Order at least until LVL2? No

If you have so much spare culture, so you take this policy, you should already be far enough ahead, so you are gonna win SV regardless ...

Top Bottom