Best comeback by an AI you've seen?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by AccipiterQ, Aug 23, 2009.

1. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

I'm on an uber-huge map right now with 18 civs, marathon speed, my neighbors to the south-west are the celts, due west the greeks, to the north the English, and to the east an ocean, and the Khmer, but they don't really figure into this. I'm using the BAT mod so I can see my opponents strength relative to me, and for the first 400 turns or so I was 60% as strong as the Greeks, who had the strongest military in the game.

Now the Greeks bit off more than they could chew. The declared war on the Celts, English, Mongolians (fairly remote from us), Khmer, and Ethiopians, who were also remote but were almost as strong as the Greeks. It doesn't end well for them. This is during the age of axeman/swordsmen etc. They had by that time around 9 cities. They lose 5 of them, 4 major. They still had Sparta & Athens though. By the end of the war the English had one of their northern cities, the Celts two of their southern cities, and the mongolians had capture one of their major western cities, and torched another. I get along with everyone and didn't join in this particular war. By the end of it, which was about 30 turns later, my strength was about equal to the Greek. I figured they were done, and would probably vassal to somebody when the time came. They were 3rd from the bottom out of the 15 civs I had contact with, maybe 50 points from the bottom. They only had a couple decent cities left, and their territory was in ruins.

Here's the thing though, about 30 turns later they declare war on the same people again, minus the Ethiopians. And somehow it works. Over the course of another 30 turns yhey take back their cities from the celts, torch a couple cities from other civs, and capture an English city, as well as liberating the one that had been taken from them. Their strength jumps back up to where I'm only 60% as strong as them. Their territory has been restored, and they're now 3rd in score, decided to declare war on me and the Ethiopians again, and are ravaging the celts, who were 3rd strongest and not too far behind the greeks as far as power. They're rolling around with 20 stacks of units in my territory, the celts, and they're sending one north I presume to attack the English or Ethiopians.

I have NEVER seen an AI player come back like this before, they were probalby no more than 8 or 9 turns from elimination when they made their peace treaties to end the first war, and now with this 2nd one they have literally quintupled their territory in the space of 30 turns. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

2. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

I've never seen such a thing, but as I was reading I was thinking "Go Alex, Go!!!"

3. pop daddy

pop daddy THE DUNGEON MASTER

Do you have any thoughts on how they were able to mass that army so quickly? Do you think they had a large force somewhere else and brought it back to defend their own territory?

4. Yesod

Yesod Warlord

The Greeks know how to spam units. It's the same thing a human could have done, if not as efficiently.

5. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

probably whipped from their few remaining decent cities? They took a risk and it paid off. I think the Celts were going north after another Civ, maybe they weren't that well defended.

6. Kanzera

Kanzera LOLOLOLOL

Whoa! :eek: That's pretty amazing, but if you look at actual history, Alexander did almost the exact same thing by conquering the Achaemenid Persians.

Okay, here's mine:

I was Tokugawa, and my only neighbor was Monty (argh!). I was able to kee fairly good relation with him for a while, but only to build up my military so I could attack him. So I declared war on him, and I convinced Zara to declare war on him, too. I captured 2 of his cities, and Zara captured 2 as well. Right before I made peace with him, I convinced Cyrus to declare war on him as well. By now, it was about 1100 AD, and the war had lasted about 600 years or so. So a couple of turns later, Zara and Cyrus make peace with him too. So everthing's fine and good for a while, I discover gunpowder and by 1350 I have musketmen in all of my cities. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Monty declares war on me again, but this time with several large stacks of units, mostly knights, and immediately takes back the border city I had captured, and with it he took my only source of horse. He then proceeded to declare war on Zara and, for some reason, Gandhi. He took back all 4 of his cites, but for some reason he razed 2 of them (?), and then went on to devastate my civ beyond repair. He captured my major port city in the north and razed it along with several other small cities I had recently founded. I'm not kidding, he razed every. Single. One of my cities that he captured except for that border city I captured from him first. Luckily, I was able to keep my major cities, like my capital and several other important cities, by spamming slavery like there was no tommorrow to build musketmen and walls and castles. His knights ran all over my empire and destroyed everything.

I held out for about 200 years before making a tiny invasion force to capture one of his small cities and raze it just for revenge, but that was all I could do. He also captured 3 of Zara's cities (not counting the ones he recaptured from him), and 1 of Gandhi's cities. So I made peace with him finally, thinking, "surely he's had enough, right???" Wrong.

In the 1700s, I had put grenadiers and riflemen in most of my cities, and I had a plan to build a fortress city on a chokepoint between Monty's empire and me. So I build 3 grenadiers and 3 riflemen to start, and I founded my city on the chokepoint. Well, the next turn, Monty declares war on me again, with an EVEN LARGER force along with grenadiers and riflemen. He captured my fortress city which I had ironically built to sstop another invasion by him, and then I just quit.

7. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

I've never seen the computer Raze cities like that, that's crazy!

8. Kanzera

Kanzera LOLOLOLOL

I know, right? It was really hectic...

9. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Really quite something Kanz I would have quited even earlier but love the epic....

10. Kanzera

Kanzera LOLOLOLOL

It is quite a tale...

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

The best AI comeback I've seen was with Shaka: he had been beaten to vassalhood by HRE, but he managed to break free by settling some land in a unoccupied island, declared war to HRE and vassaled him by extensive use of nukes. It was quite a show to see ( P.S i was pulling the strings behind, so I wasn't worried with this ).... and a lesson for the future: never trust a zulu with tactical nukes :D

12. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Here's how mine happened. I was America and cut the sumarians off in a northward peninsula. After 3000 years of sporatic warfare (to mess up their economy while letting me spam.) I was suddenly hit by a 30 unit stack from the south.

They went from 2 citie sI know cities to 6 cities, burned Philidelphia when I had 12 units ready to take it back, and culture bombed Boston right next to my final two cities. I had to accept caputation.

Here's how it happened... they poped 2 settlers, got a Iron/5 Plains Hills spot, and a Copper/cow/hills spot. Built the stacks and invaded. I was pwned!

A secondary comback was when they invaded carthage and captured their capital, then Carthage landed a boatload of Nubian cavs (because I was Sumarian vassal) and captured a city. I was free and used my stored units to help. When carthage had 3 cities left they invaded the Sumarian Homeland. i negociated a peace and declared on sumaria. :p

13. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

fun fact: I've never played a single game in Civ 4 where the zulu have lasted into modern times.

14. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

You had to accept capitulation? You can't vassal to another civ, unless you use worldbuilder.

15. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

what? I've had offers to do this multiple times...

16. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

Charles Li said that he was a vassal of someone. I thought you couldn't do that in singleplayer unless you use worldbuilder.

17. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Theres a modcomp that lets you do that.

18. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

Which one is it?

19. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Afforess made it, but its not an actual comp. Its made for merging not playing.

20. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

The best comeback from an AI I've seen involved Alex becoming a voluntary vassal of Cyrus, amassing about 20+ techs for free in a fifteen turn or so timetable and then renouncing Cyrus' protection. He went from bottom feeder tech-leader.