Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Polynesia

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

rawrtrav

Chieftain
This topic is purely about the culture that a civ can produce, not the tourism - Great Works still produce culture so these will still be considered. I'm basically asking what is the best civ to produce culture. I want to play a game where I'm a real culture powerhouse because I normally struggle for culture with my style of gameplay. Below are my opinions, but I'm assuming that there are things that I've missed, and if not then I'm still struggling to decide what is the actual best civ to produce culture.

We all know that Poland have a huge bonus when it comes to culture, getting the equivalent of a whole policy tree for free. But, this is spread out across the whole game, so some of the later policies come at a time where they'd make very little difference to the game.

France are obviously another cultural powerhouse with their bonus meaning that you're likely to be wanting to produce as many Great Works as possible. This means their culture boost is going to be largely mid-game, but you'll be a pretty standard civ in the early game for culture, meaning you could fall behind the likes of Poland and a couple of other civ's.

Morocco are a civ I'd never really thought of as a cultural civ until recently. That +1 from each trade route isn't much late game, but early game it's a huge bonus when you think about it. At the point you have 2 caravans, I personally would normally be getting around 10 culture per turn, meaning those 2 caravans would possibly give me a 20% boost to my culture, which of course snowballs to everything else as you get to the policies a bit quicker than the rest. On top of this, you're likely to be trying to get Petra, giving you another caravan and free culture later in the game. Honestly though, the bonus that Morocco get is evened out by the Renaissance/Industrial era by most other civ's, so they're there just to give you the early boost.

Aztec's offer a completely different style of cultural game, making it almost necessary to be a warmonger. These may offer a large amount of culture at any point in the game as long as you're warring, but of course you also face the negatives of constant war and the diplomatic penalties. Added to this is the fact that if you're building military units, you have less time to build culture buildings/wonders.

Brazil offer a very nice culture boost when you get to the mid-game with Brazilwood camps. At their height, Brazilwood camps can produce 2 food, 2 culture, 2 gold and 2 science, an incredible yield when you think about it - a self sustaining tile that produces 2 culture and 2 science. A block of these for Brazil can mean they pull far ahead by Industrial. Of course, that means you have to get to that point in the game, and with those jungle tiles taking up a large part of your land, there's a good chance that you haven't had the food or production to build any culture wonders before that point, and so it becomes a period of 'catch-up' for Brazil, rather than pulling ahead.

Polynesia are often overlooked I feel, but a line of Moai can create an amazing amount of culture. Polynesia can also take advantage of those lovely early culture boosts from ancient ruins on lands far away that noone else can reach. The downside of Moai is that they limit your food production and it can be very difficult to get a group of them large enough to produce a nice amount of culture.

I also want to include the likes of Sweden and India in the discussion, Sweden due to their increased Great Person rate and India due to Mughal Forts and their ability for larger cities with more happiness, leading to more golden ages in the long run. However I don't think either of these really compete with those above.

IF there is enough jungles AND good tiles so you aren't handicapped then Brazil by a long way. On pure number of SPs, Poland and I voted for them because that.

However, with enough early enemies, the Aztecs can compete up to a point.

France is tricky because the Chateau only has a small bonus to culture but the focus of their UA means they are generally steered towards large culture gain and therefore usually end up with bigger benefits from culture (eg land gain, anti-tourism) than Poland but with less SPs. So on an average game, it comes between France and Poland.

Well it depends on what you're looking at for culture.

Siam (Father Governs Children), Poland (Solidarity), and the Aztecs (Sacrificial Captives) all gain additional culture through their UA. Egypt can help get some wonders, which also help with culture. I don't really find them as useful for that though since that ability is greatly diminished on higher difficulty levels.

India (Mughal Fort), Songhai (Mud Pyramid Mosque), and Siam (Wat) all have UBs that give additional culture in addition to their standard yield.

Polynesia (Moai), Brazil (Brazilwood Camp), and France (Chateau) all have UIs that provide culture.

Religion can help gain culture for any civ based on beliefs, but Civs that get any bonuses to religion (Celts, Byzantium, Ethiopia, Maya, Indonesia, Siam) can be considered "cultural" if played correctly.

If you're going for raw Culture per Turn, I'd say Siam is a very strong Civ (assuming you're friendly with Cultural City-States). Their UA gives them extra culture/faith and their UB gives them extra culture. As stated before, faith can net you some culture enhancing beliefs, so that could also help.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was a poll since I was on my iPad. I voted for Brazil, but thats just because it seemed that you were concerned with CPT. Poland is better for the extra policies, but doesn't really help in the tourism aspect. I still think Siam is better though! :D

In my experience France is usually the most problematic in countering their Culture with my own Tourism. While excluding their ability to also crank out Tourism levels the field some, but like DudewiththeFood said, France is generally geared towards pumping chunks of culture.

Before the changes to Cultural Victories, France was always the goto civ more or less.

What about Japan?

Ever since post patch if you get a good coastal start you can also get a lot of Culture quickly from sea resources, plus having the samurai being able to make fishing boats makes for cheap sea resources.

What about Japan?

Ever since post patch if you get a good coastal start you can also get a lot of Culture quickly from sea resources, plus having the samurai being able to make fishing boats makes for cheap sea resources.

Question about the Samurai fishing boats thing: Is it a one-time action only? Does it consume the Samurai?

Overall I think Brazil has the better bonus, however I think the French have an easier bonus to use. Definitely one of these 2 Civs.

Judging each civ at peak condition with favorable terrain, it's Brazil, and it's not even close. Other civs are more reliable by being less dependent on terrain, but Brazil with loads of jungle is ridiculous.

What? Seriously? Nobody here vote for Aztecs? and FYI you don't need to be a warmonger to use Sacrificial Captives. If you got 5 Jaguars and a couple of nearby Barb Camps + Honor Tree opener Policy you could Finish all of the Tradition Tree on turn 86. Every brute you killed gives you 18 culture. so what if you could kill 3 or 5 every turn?

Brazil seems to be the best to me (late game caraval among other bonuses) with France being second (double theming bonuses in Paris)

The higher the difficulty level, the better Brazil's is compared to France's due to AI production bonuses resulting in the AI building more wonders.

I completely forgot about Japan's new bonus. It makes it really easy to burn through policy trees (especially early game) if you even have 2 fishing resources. Granted I don't think it will overcome Civs like Brazil, it's an earlier benefit and 99% of the time, you're working the sea resources.

Question about the Samurai fishing boats thing: Is it a one-time action only? Does it consume the Samurai?

Samurai can build as many fishing boats as they want and aren't consumed. Just embark them, swim them over, and a worker-like action appears. It ends their movement for the turn, but it's an instant improvement. As a side note, they can't create offshore oil platforms.

Aztecs by far. If you've never tried ya don't know how good it is

I find that I get more of my culture from city states than from my own buildings from the midgame on. With that I would say Siam can be a powerhouse with the extra 50% from city states and the extra culture from wats.

In the early game Aztec is really strong.

If you want the extra culture to get more policies than Poland is hard to beat.

If you are going heavy religion then Songhai is good with their no maintenance extra culture temples.

By cultural do you mean acquiring social policies or winning a culture victory?

Immortal and deity, Aztecs. The AI just send so many units it's crazy. Every war is like a free SoPol. Lower difficulties the Aztec UA is just so so, not enough units to kill.

Emperor and down I'd say Brazil. The UI can be spammed better than the Chateau and Moai. The increased number of GWAMs helps too. Their start bias also comes with a nice culture pantheon too.

I voted Brazil because they beat the Aztecs on 6/8 difficulty levels...

I actually didn't take that much time to vote on this one because I have tried out Brazil and its UA before. France is also a good cultural civilization with its own UA as well. Since most of the tourism doubles with its UA, brazil could make a lot of culture.

Top Bottom