1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best cultural leader?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by stebbinsd, Jun 21, 2014.

1. stebbinsd

stebbinsd Chieftain

My last thread, I asked for advice on who to choose for a conquest victory. Aside from the first guy (who seemed more interested in trolling than being helpful), most of you gave some pretty genuine advice.

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics.

Accusing someone of being a troll is to be one yourself. If you think someone is trolling you, please report the post by clicking on the warning triangle icon under your forum member name and then let the staff handle the issue.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Well, this thread, I was hoping you could advise me on the best leaders to achieve a cultural victory.

I'm currently thinking... Louis XIV of France. His industrious trait would help me with cranking out wonders, complimenting the +2 culture per city given by his "creative" trait.

The wheel would give me early access to pottery - and thus granaries - allowing me to quickly increase the population of my cities (which should already be increasing dramatically, if I can settle near lots of floodplains, so I can make maximum use of my starting agriculture tech and upcoming animal husbandry), so I'll be able to work more mines and quarries at one time, giving me more access to iron, stone, gold, and so forth.

Any suggestions?

2. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

You pretty spot on with industrial and creative but the rest of paragraph is confusing. For a cultural victory the most important thing you need is commerce so yes cottages will help in that case but what does working mines have to do with that? Anyways the oath to a cultural victory is simple- reach music, build the Sistine chapel and run as many artists as you can with the culture slider turned up and set your culture city to producing culture. Maybe you may want to hold back until liberalism and free speech but if you have built the pyramids and are running representation, you'll get 4 science per artist so I believe it is safe to continue on until liberalism though I wouldn't hold my breath on reaching it first.

3. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

we really need to know what speed and map size you plan to play on and especially what level you are playing at, there are so many variables to Civ iv that people change their approach depending on these. most importantly people change there style of play depending on the start they get. If you look at some of the turn by turn play through on these forums you might get 10 different options of whether to move your warrior 1 north or south and another 10 options of whether to settle in place or risk moving your settler.... all on turn 1

the only advice that everyone will tell you is "play the map"
    not very helpfull, I know, but do you have flood plains, what food did you get any gold or stone available on turn 1, players will take all this into consideration, before advising you what would be best and why it is thought best

if you check out some of the noble threads on here you will see a map and advice tailored to the situation, then if you want you can post a game and get help turn by turn, you will soon see why people do things and that they do things differently from each other. then you will advance a level and find that you have to change you ideas again.

there is no shortage of help and advice on the forums. good luck with your first games

edit# most people would put cottages on the flood plains...

4. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Industrious is indeed good for culture, financial for the extra commerce in one or two of your legendary cities, and philosophical for faster great artists both of these are excellent too.
    Spiritual is another good one, the cheaper temples make Cathedrals easier to amass, along with the added benefits of jumping between civics (Organised Religion allows you to build missionaries without a monastery!)

Ironically creative hardly helps at all, +2 per turn is much too small to have a significant impact.

While Louis is a certainly a decent leader for a culture win I would pick Gandhi or Liz.

5. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Well I was thinking that Creative's cheap libraries and theatres would help with the cultural goal

6. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Creative isn't actually that useful for a CV. It's a great early game trait for cheap libs, grabbing and holding onto land, and it also provides a lot of settling flexibility because you can settle with resources in the 2nd ring and gain access to them in 5T without having to worry with monuments and such. That 2 culture per turn doesn't do much later in the game though, and the handful of hammers saved on a couple culture buildings is decent, but not huge.

Philo is a fantastic trait for a CV (and just about everything) because it allows for many great artists which can be used to create a great work (typically referred to as a "GA bomb") that provides 4k culture instantly in whichever city you use it.

7. stebbinsd

stebbinsd Chieftain

Gold mines?

8. mattie_p

mattie_p Chieftain

As Izuul said, creative isn't all that great if you are aiming for a culture victory. It actually works better for an early domination victory on small maps, as conquered cities expand their borders faster (no need for stonehenge, because all you are building are units).

Financial is always welcome, due to faster research and general principles. Philosophical is great too. As Ghpstage said, Elizabeth of England is excellent, mostly because she combines those traits.

Check out the Hall of Fame, you can look at each category and see what others have done. Elizabeth is popular for cultural victories, as is Gandhi and China (due to unique building). Graffito mentioned needing to know map size and speed, which will help us provide advice.

9. TalladegaKnight

TalladegaKnight King

Any combo of financial (better cottages once you go 100% culture slider), spiritual(cheap temples means you get cathedrals sooner and more flexibility with civic changes) and philosophical(more great artists) are great for culture victory. Mansa, Gandhi, or Elizabeth would be good. Make sure to get some marble.

10. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

I just ran the numbers on Spiritual temples and the result was somewhat impressive.

Assuming one does the nine city thing with three temples in each, the savings come out to be 1,080 hammers on standard speed. But more importantly, as TalladegaKnight has already noted, the core buildings for this Victory Condition come sooner.

Phi is a no brainer, IMO.

Who dat? Gandhi.

11. Strickl3r

Strickl3r Prince

i like:

Inca(although he's a crappy leader, a whimpy victory condition like culture makes it possible to play this low tier super hero)
    Ghandi
    Mansa

i forgot ramasses, not sure how good he really is maybe he is viable :D

12. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Ramesses is always good. His traits might be the absolute best for a CV (still quite good though), but the war chariot certainly makes it possible to get the 9 cities in almost any situation where you can get horses.

13. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Spiritual + Philo, so Gandhi is the best. Industrious is also good, for some crucial wonders and also it allows to make a city legendary with wonders only (Stonehenge is huge for culture for example). As there is no Spi/Ind leader, the 2nd great choice is Spi/Ind Ramesess.

Financial is not as good here, heavily cottaged city for culture slider still needs cathedrals and culture bombs usually.

14. Strickl3r

Strickl3r Prince

I still think Mansa is a little bit better than most philosophical and industrious leaders, because he has some other positives(early rush potential and the SPI trait) and a lot of philo leaders like greek have slow starting techs.

My first post was obviously ironical, of course ramasses is a top tier choice.

15. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Gandhi, Liz, and HC are the best

16. schadenfreude

schadenfreude Chieftain

Pericles deserves some love. The Odeon allows you to run two artists and gives three culture per turn, and make two citizens happy.

17. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Pericles should not be underestimated. Gandhi is better, but the Odeon is a very good building because it allows to hire additional Artists, is super-cheap for Pericles because of his traits, and being able to hire 4 Artists even with staying in Slavery, makes the transition from Slavery + OR towards Caste + Pacifism a lot smoother.

18. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Toku, with agg i can first take what i need and then i defend my rising culture paradise with protective.

I usually research iron working first for Swords (wish they would be Samurais already thou :( ), then hunting and archery so i can also defend my captured cities.

I then look what Relis i can still get, Theology would be yummy for also improving my archers with Theocracy and i also dislike if some silly AIs run around in my empire and spread heathen Relis.

If i see some Rice or Sheeps, i might consider Agri or AH after getting what Relis are left, but it's really no high priority in culture games.
    I already have my mines in place and i started with the wheel so everything can be connected, food will come soon enough.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll the forums. This is not being helpful nor kind.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

19. GKey

GKey Emperor

Not even funny, Fi.

Have you forgot, we all had been noobs once? Even you!

20. TalladegaKnight

TalladegaKnight King

Sounds like a good idea for the schizophrenic series. Tokugawa, Mansa, Gandhi, and Ramses as the leaders on the same map.