Best cultural leader?

Not even funny, Fi.

Have you forgot, we all had been noobs once? Even you!

some of us never change, I've just won a culture victory with toku on a GEM map using Fi's exact approach...

never did get my rice hooked up, i cottaged them :D

I am 100% sure there were Best this, best that threads in the recent past.
Newcomers should learn to use search options in the forums. That also shows willingness to put an effort and to actually listen to advice.

I was a noob too. Found these forums as mid level player, searched stuff I was interested in,
read some threads, and started posting as high level player in a few months simply because these forums are so old that everything is already discussed and answered and there is so much knowledge served on the plate. They were that old 3 years ago.

Newcomers asking simple, already discussed questions revealing that they are getting ahead of themselves (questions themselves indicate lack of knowing basic game mechanics) are simply polluting the thread.
If that is not the case and I am wrong, erase the archive cause it has no purpose.

Also, Best this - best that threads should probably go to general discussion.

Now, there is a possibility that the OP didn't know about search option. In that case, I apologize for being harsh. Otherwise, I'd be happy this wasn't PG-13 moderated forum.

Peace of advice for anyone new (including OP):

Learn the basic concepts (food, population, hammers, happiness, health) FIRST.

Watch earlier TMIT's videos on youtube to get the feeling.

Watch AZ's videos to understand that you can win without clear advantage except being human (his youtube name is Chris67132).

Read kossin's Daily Rounds.

Some would argue that is too advanced for newbie, but I'd say that it is not since you can translate almost all high level concepts to lower levels while you must forget most of the low level concepts on higher levels which leads to prolonged learning curve.

This is CivFANATICS forums. I think you should be a bit of a fanatic; don't call me crazy or too demanding cause that should be understood.

Cheers!

P.S. Welcome!

With all due respect I strictly disagree with much of the above.

Yes, archives of these forums contain nearly endless amount of knowledge. This particular question had been discussed at least 3 times in last couple of years.

But amount of data accessible through search function is overwhelming and most importantly not always relevant! There are tons of threads that are either too complicated for beginner or are simply wrong or misleading.

I was lurking in these forum for months searching for knowledge that would help me beat low lvl game, instead of just ask and move on much faster.

These forums are very friendly both for pros and noobs.

Anyway, I would recommend http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/introductory_courses. Especially Commonly Used Acronyms in the Civ Community and Sisiutil's Strategy Guide for Beginners.

Also what's wrong with having a conversation now. It can be misinforming looking at old posts. Let's keep these boards going with new conversations. Even if they are about old topics.

With all due respect I strictly disagree with much of the above.

Yes, archives of these forums contain nearly endless amount of knowledge. This particular question had been discussed at least 3 times in last couple of years.

I am sure it is more recent than that. Remember all those polls...

But amount of data accessible through search function is overwhelming and most importantly not always relevant! There are tons of threads that are either too complicated for beginner or are simply wrong or misleading.

That is true for everything in the world. That's where you, as a person, come in. You filter the crap out and get the big picture. Uninvolved cherry-picking leads to dogmatic approach to the game which is less fun and not so effective on harder settings. EDIT: Also, wrong threads are the result of non-systematic approach. That's what makes forums harder to use. Easy way to recognize better threads is simply by reading the comments and valuing the opinion by number of posts and date joined (how I did that). Not perfect, but it works.

I was lurking in these forum for months searching for knowledge that would help me beat low lvl game, instead of just ask and move on much faster.

These forums are very friendly both for pros and noobs.

Anyway, I would recommend http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/introductory_courses. Especially Commonly Used Acronyms in the Civ Community and Sisiutil's Strategy Guide for Beginners.

Those are some great tips I missed.

Minimal courtesy would be typing the thread title into a search bar. Surprisingly, there are threads with same questions with more answers since more people were on board back then.

Typing the thread title into searchbox gives these results. There are threads, there are answers. It is also quicker than waiting for repsonse.

Also what's wrong with having a conversation now. It can be misinforming looking at old posts. Let's keep these boards going with new conversations. Even if they are about old topics.

Old topics drive people who participated in old topics away. Since influx of new people is weak, maybe this should be more mature forum with focus on quality content which could potentially involve old forumers into conversations. When I see all these, best this, best that threads in a row, I usually flee.

This time, unlike the other times when Gwnnja posted all those polls, I react cause it bothers me. It is a habit to click it in a toolbar. I no longer have any illusions that anything interesting, like an interesting game I could follow will be posted while I am too busy to play myself. I guess I can't accept that Civ4 is done with.

Rant, rant, rant.

Croatia vs. Mexico tonight should be pretty interesting :D

That one I am surely following.:) Great WC so far despite some questionable referees.

I'm still sick from the 95' goal the US conceded to Portugal last night.

It will be forgotten if the US advances anyway.

It will be forgotten if the US advances anyway.

Don't judge your coach to hard, if this is not gonna happen. He is the best you will ever get :p
But the US Team did very good so far. The Draw with that group was quite unlucky, there are much easier groups.

Well, this thread, I was hoping you could advise me on the best leaders to achieve a cultural victory.
- civs who start with Mysticism have a big leg up because they can found early religions
- China has Pavilions, Qin especially is good because he has IND; Zara has steles which are also pretty nice but watch that you don't obsolete them too early
- IND, FIN, and PHI are key traits - Huayna and Liz each get two, so they're excellent; SPI is pretty good too, since you will need to build a ton of temples to build cathedrals
- Pericles (and I guess Alex) can generate Great Artists off of Colosseums, which is pretty swag

I would say that the toppest tier cultural victory leader is Huayna, but of course we don't play him because he's too good at everything; after him it's probably Liz and Qin; after them it's probably Gandhi, Zara, and Pericles. Pacal as a FIN leader who starts with Mysticism is also pretty decent, as are SPI/FIN Mansa and SPI/IND Rammy.

and of course all of this assumes you're doing a 'plain' cultural victory and not an espionage-enabled one.

- civs who start with Mysticism have a big leg up because they can found early religions

Mysticism is no advantage at all. If you want to found a religion do it with oracle code of laws or bulb philo. Everything else is less than optimal. If you play the map you will only go for a culture victory anyway, if the situation is suitable not because you founded enough religions yourself to do so.

Maybe in isolated games this makes sense, i don't know about valueable isolated culture strategies.

Oracle -> CoL is obviously good (when your start allows it) but I rarely want to bulb Philo, that's one less Great Artist!

Oracle -> CoL is obviously good (when your start allows it) but I rarely want to bulb Philo, that's one less Great Artist!

Yeah, but a Philo bulb likely means faster Lib > Nationalism which gives earlier access to Free Speech and the Hermitage, and if the Philo bulb is the difference b/t winning and losing Lib the beakers saved from free Nationalism will allow the science slider to be turned off much earlier.

I don't think 1 extra GA will always beat out a Philo bulb.

What techs do you have to have/avoid to bulb Philo? It never seems to be an option for me.

Of course I usually play no tech trading so alph is not researched till after lib if at all.

What techs do you have to have/avoid to bulb Philo? It never seems to be an option for me.

Of course I usually play no tech trading so alph is not researched till after lib if at all.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/greatpeople_tech.php

Alphabet is higher than Philo

since teching Alphabet is more than viable in isolation games, I'm not sure if this is really the way to go in no tech trading games. Bulbing should be even more powerfull in no tech trading games.

you are welcome

Top Bottom