Best Current FFH Setup?

Mknn

Prince
Looking to get back into FFH. At the end of the day, it's just *better* than ciV or cVI, imo.

In any case, what are people playing most these days? Is there any consensus to which combination of mods/modmods is the best single player, long game experience?

It looks like WildMana has the most active development, but I worry about it accentuating what was already a huge human advantage over the AI when it came to spellcasting. I don't think I ever played Rise or Orbis, but I know they had their strong advocates at time.

I played a lot of FallFurther, but it seems to have been abandoned as well. Abandoned doesn't mean bad, certainly. So, my question is really why you play the mod/modmod combo you do?

I usually go with basic FFH plus MNAI or ExtraModMod -- it scratches the itch, and doesn't stray too far from what made FFH so compelling in the first place. Occasionally I'll dabble with WildMana or RiFE, but I feel they have shifted a bit too far from the base formula, and I've gotten lazy (or fatigued) enough to not want to have to learn new systems.

I pretty much only play Ashes of Erebus, which started as the continuation of Rise from Erebus, which itself was a continuation of Fall Further. I like the cumulative new content, plus many of the changes to the base game. Plus it's still under active development: bugfixes, balance and gameplay suggestions, etc.

I used to play WildMana a lot before the conversion over to Master of Mana. I gave MoM a few tries but really didn't like a lot of the new mechanics having to do with the economy, so gave that up.

Fall Further I occasionally still play if I want to play the Jotnar in their original implementation, but that's it. Since it's no longer under active development, game-breaking bugs aren't being fixed any more. I figure once Ashes of Erebus incorporates some version of the Jotnar, and assuming I find it satisfactory, I'll drop FF for good.

I haven't played base FfH2 in a very long time.

I haven't played MNAI in a long time, either, largely because I got used to all the new content and gameplay changes beginning with FF and especially in RifE and AoE.

What about Magistermod?

I like wildman best for game play; However wildmana is very buggy and most of my games seem to end with a dead save.

Otherwise I paly More Naval AI, which should probably be considered the purest mod mod.

I have played the others, but tend to find the bad AI offputting. I did use to like Fall Futher, but it seems to be dead now.

"Still crazy after all these years..." of just MNAI. I keep wondering what in CiV or CVI would engage me as much as FFH, but while some people have their favorite CiV or CVI content, I don't see many people claiming anything comes close to this.

You're gonna want to play MNAI. I was able to win on diety on vanilla ffh2 pretty handly but with MNAI i had to back it down to emperor. I find the Erebus Standard size map with 16 AI's the way to go. At Epic speed it has a good feel to it. I typically go into Worldbuilder on turn one and connect all the lands. This ensures a streamlined series of events that ensures that each team can flex their muscle and you're not left with too may surprises of "backdoor" attacks that can really discourage the game for you.

I used to play dark elves almost exclusively, but find I'm enjoying the Calabim and Elohim more these days. Having the Illians on the map always makes it difficult, which is why I disable world spells. 60 turns of no production is rough on epic. Anyways, this game is amazing. Been playing more than a decade now, and I must say it still has charm that it always had.

Master of Mana Extended is the most complex and original featured.
Ashes of Erebus offers a lot of factions and is semi complex.

But Extra Mod Mod is the best one : FFH2 balanced, bug fixed, improved A.I, playable in multi.

Top Bottom