1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best early game economic tech

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by yavoon, Aug 16, 2006.

?

what is the best early economic tech?

1. alphabet

19 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. currency

25 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. monarchy

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. code of laws

37 vote(s)
    40.7%
  5. other(not pottery/writing)

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. yavoon

yavoon King

wondered what ppl thought of as the best early game tech to buoy ur economic situation. I left out pottery and writing, because 1) only an idiot wouldn't get pottery and 2)writing is just so necessary for so many different techs that its not practical to not get it. I also left out civil service on the theory that it'd win by a lot, and unless u have a CS opening strat it takes longer than all these other techs.

obviously there are situations, so if u want u can talk about more situational things.

I tend to think its:
    1)monarchy - nothing like jamming happy units into my capital.
    2)alphabet - lets u demand techs for peace(huge on epic/marathon) and lets u trade some too(can be huge)
    3)currency - markets are nice, expensive though. really attractive if u have 2 of fur/ivory/silk, because it becomes a big happy bonus then.
    4)code of laws - courthouses are nice, also expensive and u need em in the places that have the hardest time making em(newly captured cities). much better if ur organized...

2. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

If you're going to be really aggressive (which I always am early game), then Code of Laws is the best.

If you're more peaceful and don't have 10 cities piling up your maintenance costs, then I guess Currency. +1 trade route per city combined with marketplaces can help to pull in some cash.

EDIT: Hey, if you have enough plantation resources, then I would consider Calender a valid "economy" tech.

3. yavoon

yavoon King

I'm ultra aggressive and I dont think code of laws is that great. even if the new city maintenance is 6(reasonably high) thats still only 3 gpt u gain from 120 hammers. I can make one catapult, stick him in my capital and work an extra village(or hamlet if financial) and get that 3, plus maybe a lil more from library.

4. Palantir30

Palantir30 Warlord

Metal Casting.

Extra production from your Forge to help build everything else, and if you're Mali, +10% gold thrown in for good measure.

5. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

Working extra tiles in your big cities is good also (I assume you're refering to Monarchy), but this requires growth and also assumes there's a spare village/hamlet to work, which I kind of doubt early game.

6. yavoon

yavoon King

I work hard to make sure there is:)

7. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

I'm surprised people put more emphasis on Code of Laws. Maybe I need to rethink my strategies.

8. bitplayer

bitplayer Warlord

I picked coad of laws because I try and grab as much territory as I can so it helps me with money problems. Also its where I typically found my only religion.

9. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Getting Alphabet early is great, because you have a monopoly on tech trading and can get the upperhand early.

10. Gorman Truart

Gorman Truart Chieftain

I used to think so, but on harder levels I find hardly anyone willing to make a reasonable tech trade with me until about mid/late classical

11. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

If you play with 17 other civs, you dont need anyone making reasonable tech trade with you, just trade with as many as possible. Indeed, i get 2/3 of my techs through trading

12. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

Currency, unless you play with a lot of opponents.

13. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Monarchy, if happiness resources are scarce.
    It really depends on the situation.

14. flytyer

flytyer Master Fisherman

I would have to go with CoL b/c I am an expansionist and it really helps to cut costs in my cities. It is one of the first techs I go for after bronze working.

15. juggerxnaut

juggerxnaut Chieftain

code of law,then go straight to civilservice by a prophet with masonry unavailable

16. McRoos

McRoos Warlord

In the early game I think its fishing and bronze working.
    The first allows you to grow much faster and gain more research from water tiles.
    The second allows you chop and that can bring you many extra's like free units or wonders.

17. lebowski

lebowski Chieftain

Whatever gets me the Oracle built so that my "free" discovery will be metal casting.

18. BenniusCaesar

BenniusCaesar Warlord

I'm surprised only 1 in 5 says Alphabet. With Alphabet you can then trade for all the others.

Use Oracle to get Code of Laws