1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Early Industrial Strategy - Technology

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Quintillus, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Which Early Industrial Tech Strategy is Best?

1. Nationalism, then Communism/Fascism

3.2%
  2. Nationalism, then Steam Power

9.5%
  3. Steam Power, then Nationalism

1.6%
  4. Steam Power + Industrialism

19.0%
  5. Steam Power --> Replaceable Parts

36.5%
  6. Medicine + Sanitation

4.8%
  7. Steam Power --> Scientific Method

25.4%
  8. Steam Power --> Ironclads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LowEndUser

LowEndUser Chieftain

How do you do that on the higher Game Levels in C3C without clearing the earlier, non industrial era Techs on each previous age ?

Unless I`m missing something here, I can`t see how some people in this thread are getting the high cost Techs like physics, magnetism, etc, so early in the Game, while still paying an Army, and probably fighting a war or two to expand to get the necessary land to pay the costs....:eek:

Thanks

2. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

The reason people get to techs so early is because the tech pace is faster and you are not far ahead of everyone. Some techs in the middle ages (eg. democracy and free artistry) you won't need.

3. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

LowEndUser: I don't really play at the higher levels (most of my games are Emperor or lower). For fast progress you need to get a couple of things in place:
    1) lots of cities--this gives you more Unit support in Republic
    2) Use the unit support for offensive units (and artillery) but don't skimp on workers
    3) corrupt cities should be used as science farms
    4) trade for useful techs whenever you can, don't waste your own research on techs with no benefit (eg Democracy & Free Artistry [except in 20k games]).

4. MAS

MAS Deity

The army is not a cost, it is an investment, the army is payed for by the conquest they do.

It is because of aggressive conquest that we can progress so quickly.

5. ilovesimgolf

ilovesimgolf Chieftain

I personally like researching Nationalism, then Steam Power. This is for the riflemem, who are useful well into the industrial and even modern ages.

But you can go for the Steam Power ----> Replaceable Parts beeline if you are a scientific civ without having to worry about your army because scientific civs get Nationalism free at the start of the industrial age.

Is this the right thing to do? (I'm not a newbie, it's just that I've always done it this way and can't think of anything better)

Keep civ-ing

--ilovesimgolf

6. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I don't have a particular need for Riflemen; I want my forces to be made of Cavalry and Artillery. I feel no shame when protecting my Artillery stack with a Cavalry Army.