Best earth map?

Kaxeon

Chieftain
Hey

I just got BtS yesterday after a 2 year break from civivilization, and am looking for an Earth map to play on.

The standard map that comes with the game has a single flaw: There are only 18 civs, and I want a map with all of them. I considered getting Giant Earth Map (GEM) but apparently civs, units, and other core stuff has been changed. It's a shame, because the map looks terrefic, and I would really like to play it with standard civilizations.

There are several other maps out there, but I can't seem to find one that suits me. Maybe I am just not looking hard enough, which is why I am turning to you guys, in the hopes that you can help me.

In short, I am looking for an Earth map that:
1 - Is huge/giant
2 - Includes all the civs from vanilla/warlords/BtS
3 - Has a realistic destribution of ressources
4 - Doesn't require changes to game mechanics, units, civs, traits, or anything else that is not the map itself

Thank you in advance.

I'm not a 100% sure about this but I think BtS only supports a maximum of 18 civs. If you want more in one game, it would require a gamecore change. This is the reason why a lot of the maps include a gamecore.dll. Probably the most clean version without extra units or any gameplay changes is this one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=231788 but I haven't tried it myself. Hope this helps.

All versions of Civ 4 have a limit of 18 players per game, the only way around this requires a mod. There's plenty of Earth maps that include a mod that only change the number of players and nothing else. Look around the forum/file database and find one to your liking.

Also, for future reference, this Sub-Forum is for sharing maps only, not for map questions. I've flagged your topic and one of the mods should move it to the appropriate forum shortly.

I'm not a 100% sure about this but I think BtS only supports a maximum of 18 civs. If you want more in one game, it would require a gamecore change. This is the reason why a lot of the maps include a gamecore.dll. Probably the most clean version without extra units or any gameplay changes is this one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=231788 but I haven't tried it myself. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I have downloaded and thried the map you suggest, but it seems that the distribution of resources is pretty unbalanced and needs serious tweeking.

All versions of Civ 4 have a limit of 18 players per game, the only way around this requires a mod. There's plenty of Earth maps that include a mod that only change the number of players and nothing else. Look around the forum/file database and find one to your liking.

I've only found one. The one above. Could you link to another one?

I'm not so sure about BtS, I only use Vanilla, but I beleive in the main .ini file - line 23 I think... - that allows you to change the max amount of players. I'll get back to you. I remember doing it once, I just only remember line 23 of some file ^_^

Sorry if I'm not being much of a help.

Maybe they're not as common as I thought, I found 2 with all 34 proper civs.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=246068
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=276487

I believe those both have the proper mod included. It's quite easy as well to edit other maps to included those extra civs, if there's a specific Earth map you'd like to see civilizations added to, let me know and I see what I can do.

Thats very kind of you.

My personal favourite would be the GEM (Giant Earth Mod) map with the standard 34 civs, and no changes to any game mechanics/balance. If that is not possible, the standard civ 18 map that comes with the game is also a possibility. It will be very, VERY crowded in europe though, so a bigger map is probably better suited.

I don't know much about modding and have no idea if we somehow can make the GEM map run with standard BtS civs. I would probalby pay for it though...

I'm not so sure about BtS, I only use Vanilla, but I beleive in the main .ini file - line 23 I think... - that allows you to change the max amount of players. I'll get back to you. I remember doing it once, I just only remember line 23 of some file ^_^

Any help is appreciated :)

I hate having paid for BtS, without being able to play with the new civs on an earth map. I seriously don't understand why the game is shipped without this possibility. Shame on you developers!

Any help is appreciated :)

I hate having paid for BtS, without being able to play with the new civs on an earth map. I seriously don't understand why the game is shipped without this possibility. Shame on you developers!

That's why I stuck with the vanilla version. There's a decent amount of earth maps around, and I can mod whatever I want myself.

I'm still looking around in the files. Whenever I find it, i'll tell you. It can really help if you load mods and want to play on a map that doesn't have the specified player starts.

That's incorrect: the magic number "18" is enshrined as a constant in the DLL, and (if I remember correctly) is used as the length for several static arrays, as well as for other constants (the maximum number of teams, for example). The maximum number of players could become variable, but it would take some work and would cause performance to degrade (how much, though, I can't say). The way the maximum is increased now is to change that number and recreate the DLL; there isn't any other way to do it.

That's incorrect: the magic number "18" is enshrined as a constant in the DLL, and (if I remember correctly) is used as the length for several static arrays, as well as for other constants (the maximum number of teams, for example). The maximum number of players could become variable, but it would take some work and would cause performance to degrade (how much, though, I can't say). The way the maximum is increased now is to change that number and recreate the DLL; there isn't any other way to do it.

Well, there is no need to make i variable. If however we could take a map/scenraio with 32 civs in non-random starting locations, and make the game randomly pick 17 of them (you need 1 for yourself) all my troubles would go away (those regarding the game anyways).

Pick earthmap -> pick your civ -> game picks 17 random opponents -> everyone is in their right starting location.

WHY IS THIS NOT POSSIBLE? stupid developers... ;)

there are a few really nice earth maps at www.civearth.com

some of which you can probably find here as well, but I'm not sure where they are

Top Bottom