BEST Female Leaders for Civ VII?

Wait, does this mean you think Yaa Asantewaa would be a bad pick? What’s wrong with her? Yet another case of a woman being in charge precisely when things are at their worst; the proverbial glass cliff of empires, but she is still widely respected. Unlike other empresses, like Lili'uokalani, when backed up against a wall she didn't just bend over and take it. And unlike someone like Cixi she didn't actively make everything worse. I always figured her prominence in Ashanti history was our best bet to get a different west African civ than Mali/Songhai/Ghana.
I don't think Yaa Asantewaa would be a bad pick, quite the contrary, in fact. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

IMO they should just do what Civ2 did and have a male and female leader for every Civ.
It gives lots of scope for interesting and different leaders... and perhaps more importantly... means people will be less likely to complain. Win win.
Transgender, gender-neutral, and nonbinary people will need their own too. You see if you only do male/female, that just adds sexism and transphobia.

Now, here are my choices:
- England: Elizabeth I, Anne, Victoria, Elizabeth II
- Denmark: Margaret
- Maya: Lady Six Sky
- China: Wu Zetian
- Russia: Elizabeth, Catherine II
- Austria: Maria Theresa
- Zulu: Shaka's mother
- Ethiopia: Lalibela? Sorry, I don't know many Ethiopian kings/queens.
- Vietnam: Ba Trieu, Trung Sisters

IMO they should just do what Civ2 did and have a male and female leader for every Civ.
It gives lots of scope for interesting and different leaders... and perhaps more importantly... means people will be less likely to complain. Win win.
And what do you do for the civs that don't have a female option?

Transgender, gender-neutral, and nonbinary people will need their own too. You see if you only do male/female, that just adds sexism and transphobia.
And when/how many leaders could we actually pick from through history that would satisfy that criteria? :shifty:

- Ethiopia: Lalibela? Sorry, I don't know many Ethiopian kings/queens.
Lalibela wasn't a woman. :)

And what do you do for the civs that don't have a female option?

And when/how many leaders could we actually pick from through history that would satisfy that criteria? :shifty:

Lalibela wasn't a woman. :)
We don't need the male/female thing.
Elgiablus
Thank's for telling me about Lalibela!

Zara Yaqob's wife Eleni would be a good leader for Ethiopia. She effectively co-ruled with subsequent monarchs after Zara Yaqob died. She was widely respected and the empire did well under her tenure. She also served as regent when Dawit II was underage.

Zara Yaqob's wife Eleni would be a good leader for Ethiopia. She effectively co-ruled with subsequent monarchs after Zara Yaqob died. She was widely respected and the empire did well under her tenure. She also served as regent when Dawit II was underage.
I would like to see Ethiopia with a female leader if possible!

We don't need the male/female thing.
Elgiablus
Thank's for telling me about Lalibela!
Cis gay male, moreso, by modern standards. And, other than a bold military charge that surprised his contemporaries, considered one of the worst Roman Emperors, all-in-all.

Why have a wife and regent? There were two or three effective Empresses Regnant. I'll dig them up in a bit.

I mean, depending on how interesting (and suggestive of interesting gameplay) the Empress Regnants were, I can certainly see a case where the regent just makes the better leader for a Civ game.

And it's not like a Regent doesn't wield effective political power.

(Also, just as I'd object to saying definitely Eliogabalus was trans, saying with certainty that he was cis is just as bad, and a sterling example of the (nuts) notion that gender identities outside the strict cis binary is some "modern" phenomenon. People with unclear gender identities should be just that, unclear. Not Cis until Proven Otherwise,)

As a half brazilian half german i couldn't contain myself and needed to bring the name of Maria Leopoldina, Pedro II mother, as a leader alternative for Brazil, she played an important role during the independence shenanigans and ruled as regent for a time.

She also kickstarted the first colonies of german immigrants in southern brazil, if civ VII comes with an immigration mechanic she would be a cool pick, with an ability to attract more immigrants in some way.

As a half brazilian half german i couldn't contain myself and needed to bring the name of Maria Leopoldina, Pedro II mother, as a leader alternative for Brazil, she played an important role during the independence shenanigans and ruled as regent for a time.

She also kickstarted the first colonies of german immigrants in southern brazil, if civ VII comes with an immigration mechanic she would be a cool pick, with an ability to attract more immigrants in some way.
I just looked her up and now want her simply for her impeccable fashion sense. :D

Just dropping by to suggest Queen Mavia of the Tanukhids as a possible alternate leader for an Arabian civ
I have a hard time imagining we'll see a Christian leader of Arabia when it essentially functions as "the Islamic civ." Would be cool to have a pre-Islamic Arab civ, though.

I have a hard time imagining we'll see a Christian leader of Arabia when it essentially functions as "the Islamic civ." Would be cool to have a pre-Islamic Arab civ, though.
Considering we haven't got a French leader whose native language is French, in Civ 6, I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

Considering we haven't got a French leader whose native language is French, in Civ 6, I wouldn't be surprised by anything.
Perhaps, but we still didn't get a Cathar leading France. :p

I mean that's a really debatable statement also, because it treat "French" as some kind of clear default language with a clear evolution that of course French leaders have spoken for many years, which it really isn't - the unified predominant French language is an artificial construct invented in the Early Modern period and enforced in the Industrial one to turn it into One Language.

Up until then, the concept of a French language would have at best been a loose nebulous idea covering many interrelated languages and dialects spoken across France. Most likely including Eleanor's Occitan.

(And Cath may not have had French for a maternal language - Queens rarely did - but she spoke it).

From a linguistic perspective, Occitano-Romance is more closely related to the langues d'oïl than to Ibero-Romance (despite the superficial resemblance of Catalan/Aragonese to Spanish), but not so closely that I'd agree with calling it "French." Culturally, certainly, langue d'oc was "French," and for a time it was more significant than any one langue d'oïl. (Actually, the state of Occitano-Romance, both Occitan and Catalan, is rather saddening, as I find them the most aesthetically pleasing of all the Romance languages.)

Charles De Gualle: Defensive wars generate happiness, War wariness is reduced in offensive wars, unhappy cities take longer to rebel. Receives an extra economic policy slot. Unique: Free French, modern era melee unit with first strike. May repair itself freely in enemy territory, unique upgrade tree that includes crossing difficult terrain taking less movement points.

That being said, no idea for Female french lead... hmmm. That's difficult. There's Catherine De Medici but she's known for what, massacring religious minorities?

PS why don't deserts take extra movement points to cross? They're definitely as difficult as jungles or hills unless you're a bedouin.

I agree linguistically it wasn't French as in it wasn't THAT close a relative of what we now call French, but in a time becore there was a single French language, it was one of *the* Frenches, in a time when they were numerous and of variable linguistic relation.

I can make sense of most of the Occitan Elanor speaks, at least in writing - much more than I can with, say, Spanish or Italian.

Charles De Gualle: Defensive wars generate happiness, War wariness is reduced in offensive wars, unhappy cities take longer to rebel. Receives an extra economic policy slot. Unique: Free French, modern era melee unit with first strike. May repair itself freely in enemy territory, unique upgrade tree that includes crossing difficult terrain taking less movement points.

That being said, no idea for Female french lead... hmmm. That's difficult. There's Catherine De Medici but she's known for what, massacring religious minorities?

PS why don't deserts take extra movement points to cross? They're definitely as difficult as jungles or hills unless you're a bedouin.
Hold on... Charles De Gaulle was a female (or trans?)?

Top Bottom