1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Form of Government

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by lazarus319l, Aug 26, 2008.

1. lazarus319l

lazarus319l Chieftain

Ok So I'm sure this issue has been covered in other threads but I'm new to CIVIII PTW so please be patient and/or link the other threads.

I am trying to play on Monarch level and wanted to know a few things on governments. I typically plan as Persions or Mayans, going towards a culture victory but often waring with nieghbors to take over resources/GW.

I was wondering what is considered the best form of Government for these cultures and how often should 1 change governments in a game? I've read once and only once but wasn't quite sure the reasoning behind that....

thanks for helping this newbie out.

2. AndrewN

AndrewN Prince

Hmm, difficult question.

IMO unless you are doing a lot of fighting then you will probably want to be a republic. If the game is going to be very fighting heavy (i.e. fighting almost continuously) then Monarchy is the government of choice. In Republic the only problem you are going to have is with war weariness so Monarchy is the government of choice for an always war game and similar.

The basic idea is to change governments once. Wait until you have the required tech and change.

All other government types except Communism and Democracy are considered a waste of time. Communism and Democracy do have their advocates to replace Monarchy and Republic respectively, but I don't normally bother with them.

3. Globex

Globex President Scorpio

If you are planning to have just short, strategic wars to gain resources then republic is your best bet. Monarchy is good for games with long, drawn out wars that accumulate lots of war weariness overtime (e.g. Always War variant). Republic is a versatile government and good for cultural victory since the commerce bonus will be immensely useful for cash-rushing culture.

4. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

If you are going for a 100K culture victory, Feudalism can be useful so that you can pop rush culture, as well as having a lot of unit support with all the towns you have for 100K. In almost every other situation, republic is your best bet if you know how to manage WW (short wars, don't lose cities, stay on the offensive).

You only want to change governments once because you spend 5-9 turns in anarchy where your civ does nothing productive.

5. lazarus319l

lazarus319l Chieftain

Thanks for the info it's very helpful. In my current game I'm in facism as it seemed the best at the time due to Civ's attackign me, but I feel now that it was the wrong long term decision because I seem to be lagish in almost everything.

6. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Fascism is usually a "don't even think about it" government, some even say it's there to hamper the AI and not even meant for human players. There are a few fervid supporters on here for Fascism, Democracy and Communism. but most would recommend Republic as the go to government, unless there are special circumstances.

7. lazarus319l

lazarus319l Chieftain

I'm new and went with facism but are thinking that it was a shortsighted mistake ....trying to develop good stratedgy to move my game up in the higher levels and work on all situations

8. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Welcome to CFC, lazarus319l.

Run a search through General Discussions and Strategy & Tips on governments. It's a topic that's discussed with some regularity and a search should turn up some old threads.

9. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

:aargh::mwaha: ANARCHY!!! :mwaha::aargh:
    :run::rockon::run::evil::run:
    :hide::sniper::ninja:

:joke:

I vote Republic, Monarchy, or Fascism... usually the only government types I use

10. effigy

effigy Chieftain

I was a hardcore democrat but now I'm definitely more republican (in strictly Civ 3 terms of course :p)

Republic is great for being so flexible, good level of commerce plus the ability to wage a fairly decent war without too much war weariness if you've got the management right. Democracy is crippling in wartime (just watch your cities riot as the trade embargoes stack up against you) and anything else leads to you being the poor man of the game.

11. Jrod the great

Jrod the great Chieftain

the best form of goverment is comunisum reasons why
    1. strong milltery
    ex
    :ar15: :ninja:
    :ar15: :ninja:
    you
    2. good ecomoney
    :gold::gold::gold::gold:
    3. people work harder
    :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::whipped:
    (what you still nead a reason to wark hard)

12. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

I've never understoond why Feudalism is god for culture wins. Poprushing is usually looked down upon, so why in this case is it being endorsed?

13. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

because the government itself favors smaller cities instead of larger cities

so its easy to pump culture into cities and keep them small, that way you gain alot of culture, which is part of the reason why the government is good for that.... although talking to a much more experienced player or a stronger advocate for "Feudalism for 100k" would give you a better answer

14. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

Plus in Feudalism, you can whip all the culture buildings in the corrupt towns.

15. Theodora

Theodora Chieftain

I always play on Democracy as much as possible. I love the lower corruption and higher production. This becomes especially crucial because I like to play for the Spaceship win. In a recent game, I watched with glee as I quickly outpaced my Fascist rivals in building the spaceship, including the one who had a head start on me.

I also fight wars with Democracy. Not a lot, but enough. I know you'll think I'm crazy for doing this, but to me the war weariness is just a little speedbump every so many turns or so. Overall I get enough added production out of Democracy that I still come out ahead.

16. mr_lewington

mr_lewington King

I have never been able to run a republic, for me it has always been a massive money sink. I might get -10 to -20 gpt with Republic whereas i might get +8 to -8 gpt with Monarchy. Is this just my playstyle or have I not mastered the Republic's art of small specialized forces?

17. Delphi456

Delphi456 Prince

Everyone initially struggles with Republic; but once you understand how to 'work' it, your economy will explode. The main points are: get to pop 7 asap; make sure citizens are working improved tiles; and use lux slider, not temples.

18. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

Even though you may be running 40% Science in Republic, in general, that may get you more beakers than 70% in monarchy. Also, always work a tile that already has commerce, or you are giving up Republic's greatest benefit.

19. Globex

Globex President Scorpio

You have to know how to use Republic's advantages. Some common mistakes people make when playing with Republic are:

-They don't build enough roads. (Republic's commerce bonus applies only to tiles that are already producing 1 commerce. Most of the terrain your cities occupy won't benefit from the commerce bonus if it isn't roaded)
    -They don't build enough markets and libs (These improvements greatly augments Republic' commerce bonus)
    -They keep useless units around (Those units aren't doing military policing in Republic so if you have a lot of obsolete, non-upgradable units lying around, disband them.)