1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best free tech you ever got from Liberalism?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by jerVL/kg, Mar 10, 2006.

1. jerVL/kg

jerVL/kg Sheep Nuker

I just got Scientific Method from being the first to research Liberalism. Came as a surprise since I was gonna settle for Nationalism as no one would trade it, and I don't even have Gunpowder yet!

What's the best free tech you ever got from Liberalism?

2. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

I once got Democracy from Liberalism.

3. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

Nine times out of ten it's Gunpowder. This is because I've just spent a load of turns on Philosophy, Paper, and Education, which makes me feel I'm neglecting my military. I usually can't afford to maneuver toward Democracy as well, although that's the best I've done.

4. BlueRenner

BlueRenner Warlord

Fusion.

It was during the last Gauntlet -- an OCC Space Race on Warlord.

- Bill

5. lz14

lz14 Prince

get economics and the free Great Merchant.

6. jerVL/kg

jerVL/kg Sheep Nuker

That's usually what I do, either that or Democracy.

I'll have to start a tutorial game and try to get something obnoxiously late, something like Future Tech 6. :cool:

7. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

Huh? From my experience, you can freely choose the tech you want... So, I'll generally take the most useful one (very often, Astronomy), or the most expensive if I can't decide.

8. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Chieftain

The menu of free techs you can choose from depends on what other techs you've already researched.

Like, when you build the Oracle, Code of Laws is usually on the menu. But if you've already researched Code of Laws then you can pick Civil Service (a more advanced tech) instead!

9. Smokey McDope

Smokey McDope Warlord

In one multiplayer game (3v3) we used liberalism to get -industrialism- for free. Of course it was on quick speed, and that game had been a 3v2 (for us) since about 2000 bc when one of them started with a scout, didnt build a warrior, and went for barracks before even building an archer. In single player I never get this far ahead on Monarch so I usually score astronomy or constitution with it.

10. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Nationalism, for the early cavalry. Seals the game pretty much from then on. Unless you are talking about most advanced/expensive tech. I think for that I only have Astronomy to offer.

11. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Radio, on Monarch difficulty going for the UN.

12. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

I usually either go for Nationalism or Astronomy, depending on which of these is already known to the AI. Both of these have very good trading value.

13. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

BTW, in my last game, something surprising happened: I was tied in science with Elizabeth, and she had discovered education just a few turns before me. So I was thinking she was going to beat me to liberalism, but I was very surprised when I realized she had decided to go for economics instead, thus letting me reach liberalism first and taking the edge. At this point, how can you prefer a great merchant to a free tech?

14. KillerCardinal

KillerCardinal Chieftain

I think he meant to use the free tech to get economics and the GM.

I personally love that, but if I'm the russians, I always have a hard time deciding to do that rather than nationalism for the cossacks:).