Best goodie hut stuff?

insaneweasel

Prince
The best stuff I have gotten from the huts is:
-Monarchy (on prince)
-Mathematics (on noble)
-Priesthood (on noble)

Those were pretty great techs, and they saved a ton of turns. I wonder what the highest costing tech you can get?

Pretty sure the last one you can pop from a hut is astronomy.

Best stuff I've ever popped was a free settler.

That was on a low difficulty level though, forget which. Chieftan or warlord I assume.

In terms of beakers, Astronomy is the best you can get (and difficulty doesn't change that).

In terms of usefulness, Settler is obviously most useful, followed by worker. After those (which aren't available on Noble or higher), I'm going to have to go with Bronze Working as the most useful, and Astronomy as the #2 most useful on average - although obviously it will vary by map and difficulty level. BW has a nasty habit of just making you... win. And Astronomy not only is valuable in itself, and expensive, but it makes spectacular trade-bait if you get it first from a hut.

I think the astronomy one does really rely on a island offshore somewhere. I think the fact is the lower difficulty levels are more likely to pop tech/settlers.

On Monarchy and above the best you can hope for is gold/maps/techs or healing of a unit. Worst is a lot of barb warriors.

IMO Worker is best. Assuming it doesnt get eaten alive by wolves and panthers, then your second city already has a worker :)

Once, from a border expansion, I popped Bronze Working... and then Iron Working? Classical Era in 3790 is nice though :lol:

I thought there was a list somewhere, but I think astro is the last tech. It is possible to pop ->music, calender, currency, compass, monarchy, machinery (?). This has only been confirmed by empirical testing. Personally I have not seen CoL or CS popped, or education/paper/philo/optics.

As good as a Settler is on the lower levels... in terms of sheer value in hammers/beakers, a later tech would have to be considered more valuable, speaking objectively. Astronomy would thus be the winner.

Subjectively... sometimes popping a Scout will allow you to grab 2-3 other huts that you might not have otherwise gotten. My luckiest string of huts involved getting Scouts from the first 2 huts and then getting about 5-7 more huts... mainly with cash, but at least 1 low-end tech was involved. All that money allowed me to fund my expansion and stay at 100% research for a while.

"We, the primitive people of the cannibalistic ooga tribe, do hereby give you the secrets of those shiny things in the sky" :crazyeye:

Way to show your cultural sensitivity. Relevant real-life example: the polynesians had detailed knowledge of both the night sky and the ocean currents, enabling them to navigate between island groups without seeing them on the horizon. Which nobody else was really able to do, even those who met them first (who only knew how to navigate by latitude).

Way to show your cultural sensitivity. Relevant real-life example: the polynesians had detailed knowledge of both the night sky and the ocean currents, enabling them to navigate between island groups without seeing them on the horizon. Which nobody else was really able to do, even those who met them first (who only knew how to navigate by latitude).

Only because they are the descendants of Atlantians.

*/sacasm Nice sense of humor! You should be a comedian :p*/

I do happen to know about the Polynesians, and in-game they are just another barbarian type. They should have had their own civ, imo.

*/sacasm Nice sense of humor! You should be a comedian :p*/
I do happen to know about the Polynesians, and in-game they are just another barbarian type. They should have had their own civ, imo.

I agree.
A Polynesians would be a good example of a Civ, not a tribal Hut.
Give the a UU Galley with Sentry to represent their knowledge of the waters around them.
Start them with Fishing and Mysticism techs.
A UB Lighthouse with +2 Production.

Leader Traits : SPI/CHA.

Would be interesting.

It probably happened to many players. But I find it immensely helpful, when you pop BW in the first 10 turns. You have to have mining but still it's one of the best techs to get from a hut that early.

Nothing better than in the first 10-20 turns of the game popping BW and IW, and noticing iron in your cap. Even if you don't have a civ to rush, it can really put you quite far ahead.

I too find early Bronze Working to be the best. By early I mean like turn 5-6. You see where's copper immediately (duh), you can mine and work copper so much earlier (boosts prod), you can chop immediately, you have very early axes which helps with barbs and may or may not lead to superearly axe rush depending on circumstances. And you get this crucial and relatively expensive tech for free, meaning you can continue on food techs, pottery, writing...

It's no coincidence that BW is the last thing I have ever got from huts. After I owned that game as if it was 2 difficulty levels lower, I started playing with huts off.

Once you pass Noble, huts start doing more harm than good, since the AI will get better results than you do. After losing my starting warrior/scout to hostile tribes three huts in a row (on three different games), I just turned them off and haven't looked back. Fighting wild animals is enough gambling for me, thanks.

Once you pass Noble, huts start doing more harm than good, since the AI will get better results than you do. After losing my starting warrior/scout to hostile tribes three huts in a row (on three different games), I just turned them off and haven't looked back. Fighting wild animals is enough gambling for me, thanks.

Ditto :p

<Your fortified hill forest warrior has died in combat with a wolf>

<sigh>

Top Bottom