Best honor starters

WideCoast

Warlord
Hey!

I tried honor after reading a bit of it in here and I fell in love with it since it's not so much ending turn when you get something out when killing things(might be just me, but I tend to kill stuff a lot more when I get honor).

So I was just wondering what you guys think are the best civs for starting honor? SP&MP opinions are welcome :)

I very rarely open honor but I find with the Aztecs its better to put 1 policy for the honor opener and take tradition. I've also heard Songhai is pretty great with honor and piety. :)

Sweden--> Generate Great Generals faster and gift them to Cultural and Maritime City States to offset the lack of culture and growth from going honor over tradition. When I want to play an honor style game I pick Sweden.

Edit: Cromagnus did an honor guide that's difficult to use and some parts got outdated with the fall patch b ut it might help steer you in the right direction.

Sweden--> Generate Great Generals faster and gift them to Cultural and Maritime City States to offset the lack of culture and growth from going honor over tradition. When I want to play an honor style game I pick Sweden.

Edit: Cromagnus did an honor guide that's difficult to use and some parts got outdated with the fall patch b ut it might help steer you in the right direction.

nice! can I get a link? :)

nice! can I get a link? :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512189

Cromagnus said:
"Caveat: I no longer recommend following this guide post-fall patch unless you want to do things the hard way. Following the left path of Honor before the right gets you promoted units much faster, but in order to take advantage of that and maintain momentum, you need to start taking cities by t60 or so, which is pretty rough now with the warmonger penalty changes. I now recommend going right-side first and delaying conquest until at least medieval units, but I'm not ready to post a strategy guide as of yet. I'm still experimenting with mid-game strategies.

I'll leave this guide here since it's still fun to play with, and Firaxis may rebalance Honor/early war at some point...."

On maps with a decent amount of water (i.e. not pangaea) Byzantium is surprisingly good with Honor. Dromons are awesome at farming barbs for culture, and cataphractoi receive full benefits from the +combat strength policies.

Of course, going all-out honor probably means that you won't do as well on the religious front, so their UA may become useless.

If you're farming xp and/or taking capitols I'd actually recommend getting range before logistics. Logistics looks like it gets you double xp on paper, but the numbers favor range as soon as your unit takes a hit and needs to heal. Range can negate that.

Plus, if you find a city not surrounded by too many terrain obstacles, you can effectively camp outside of it and farm xp indefinitely as it heals itself every turn and you don't take any hits.

Honor becomes good later in the game when more barbarians appear from mass unhappiness and gaining up to +24 culture per turn from each rebel killed. For the early honor start, discipline with a few swords could be a good opener.

Just started an Honor Dom/Diplo game Deity/Pangaea in the screen shot I will complete the honor next turn and will upgrade 8 archers to composites on t73, I've completed my NC around t68 and my capital is only size 7. Its not that impressive compared to a Tradition game and I've made several mistakes (like not getting a pantheon despite building a shrine after monument) but my 2 culture CS allies are at around 100 and I'm going to dip into patronage to get more value out of my GG gifts, also my archers have benefited from 30 or so turns of 50% more experience and 2 already have +1 range. My plan is to now tech to crossbows while constantly warring to keep my gold rate up I'm running negative GPT but I'm going to get gold on kill to negate the negative gpt.

I went left side of honor and then right side FYI.

Attachments

• 8930_2013-12-23_00001.jpg
    8930_2013-12-23_00001.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 424
I don't know what Civ matches Honor, but Honor is stronger if there are many movement/sight obstructing tiles (hills and woods) and if there are Cultural City-States you can influence. The hills, jungles, and forests will help you to farm Barbarians and increase the value of melee units.

In my opinion, Honor is called for over Tradition and Liberty when there are only 1-2 conceivable expansion locations, when your capital's land isn't very valuable, or for any other reason you need to come from behind at the medeival era. You -do- need to make your move by Classical though, because Knights (or Knight UUs) and crossbows will crush any lower tech.

As yet Honor seems essentially unviable at Immortal difficulty. And still, Tradition can turn almost anything into a decent opening.

Well honor is a viable tree even on dirty as I've been successful as have many others. The caveat is that your cities are not as good but your army is much better you basically cannot stop warring

I've had my best Honor games when playing as Zulu. The increased XP bonus stacks incredibly well with the Zulu reduced experience bonus - I often have a couple archers with every single promotion by the time they're crossbows. Constant warring gets the AI to embargo you and put in standing army tax against you, but the Honor finisher really rakes in tons of gold through the midgame.

I have had great games with attilla and honor... horse archer, and that battering ram destroys cities.. and you can get range much quicker on those horse archers.

I recently played an Emperor / Poland / standard game, and with the extra policies i ended up with complete honor. With a God of war pantheon in my first few cities, there was no trouble at all conquering the world. Domination.V on turn 307. Could have been better I am sure. The faith generated from God of war makes it pretty easy to buy a few important great peeps (I prefere GS bulbs for faster b-line to artillery).

tip: Keep an eye on which city states will DOW you. war with a few nearby CS was a blessing that kept the faith + gold flowing even after the front lines moved away from my cities. It also meant that newly built units were getting lots of XP.

Towards the end when you have 4 or 5 range + logistics siege weapons, you simply cannot be stopped.

The Honor closer means that when the world congress embargoes you, you are still flush with gold. All your trade routes can be used to boost production to pump out more units, build wonders, whatever. I also found that once I was embargoed, it actualy got easier to plunder AI routes, but this is geography dependent.

If you mean the whole tree first then it better be somebody that can kick butt right away. I'm looking at you Persia.

If you mean the whole tree first then it better be somebody that can kick butt right away. I'm looking at you Persia.

or Assyria?

That is a good point.
I almost never open Honor and fill it out right away. Just the opener for barb-culture at first. I mix in 3 points of Liberty, then fill out honor, or something similar. If going "Pure Honor" then things can get dicey fast. Liberty helps me found 2-3 cities, get pyramids.

the Honor finisher is superb, but I don't mind getting it late, because that way it comes at the same time I get good siege weapons and have a nice big army to march with. I tend to use trade routes for gold until I go to war mid game, then I switch my routes to production or CS routes with allied CS. This also needs to be a bit late, since I need workshops for trading hammers.

or Assyria?

That is a good point.
I almost never open Honor and fill it out right away. Just the opener for barb-culture at first. I mix in 3 points of Liberty, then fill out honor, or something similar. If going "Pure Honor" then things can get dicey fast. Liberty helps me found 2-3 cities, get pyramids.

the Honor finisher is superb, but I don't mind getting it late, because that way it comes at the same time I get good siege weapons and have a nice big army to march with. I tend to use trade routes for gold until I go to war mid game, then I switch my routes to production or CS routes with allied CS. This also needs to be a bit late, since I need workshops for trading hammers.

Not Assyria. That would be a mix.

Persia would be mining>bw>math etc. Honor, left Honor, right Honor, Golden Age >profit.

I always thought that was a funny part of the Swedish Unique Ability, Nobel Prize, and gifting Great Generals to city states.

The Nobel Prize FOR WAR (not peace...) :ar15:

Top Bottom