1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Leader?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by alvinthegreat, Nov 12, 2005.

1. alvinthegreat

alvinthegreat Chieftain

I would choose Washington as the best leader, Fincinal gets me ahead in tech while organized keeps to upkeep low, I have usually have a crap load of money and rush Rush various productions to fight wars and rush wonders.

2. Dikaioma

Dikaioma Warlord

I was about to post the same exact thread. I like Isabella cause I get all Spanish Inquisition with my 5 religions, hehe. And the UU is pretty good. Catherine is great for the worker chop, and the UU is very good.

3. Suspiria

Suspiria Warlord

I find Ghandi to be the best. First of all he has the fast worker unique unit which is a big plus in building up your cities. And he's also spiritual and industrious. Industrious is a really cool trait for building wonders and spiritual (which grants mysticism) allows you to get buddhism before any other civ and lead the early religious part of the game (on a higher difficulty setting).

4. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I am tied between:

Tokugawa
    Fredrick
    Montezuma
    Alexander

In that order usually but it varies depending on mood.

5. atog

atog Chieftain

correction. not all spiritual grants mysticism. i remember there's at least 1 without it. be it either egyptian or spanish... cant really remember. i was so pissed that i got neither buddism or hinduism to start with (i started with mysticism right a way, and i thought most AI do buddism first, but to my surprise, one of the other civ that started with mys, i forgot which one it was, got hinduism : ( then another probably without mys caught up and got buddism and i m 1 tech behind )

6. AER

AER Chieftain

Personally I like Catherine. The Creative trait can't be beaten, IMO, for warfare, while Financial keeps up the science (my biggest weak point) and the UU (Crossacks) rocks. The UU comes at the perfect time, IMO, and it is really strong.

I am going to try Kublai Khan soon, too - His Creative and Aggresive should be killer for early war. Cheap barracks, free Combat one, and an early UU. It would be better (for me at least :)) if the UU was just a bit stronger, but I can accept it. It would be awesome for early cities to end up with the functionality of an obelisk AND a barracks for just the cost of the obelisk...

7. Mythrl

Mythrl Chieftain

I was going to post Catherine too although I haven't played her yet she will be my next game. The UU comes a little late for me as my warring has a tendency to end around then but that strategy may have to change as I start playing the tougher levels.

I think Caesar is good for those who like to go to war early because the UU just dominates. His traits aren't my favorites though

Ghandi is good for a peaceful economic game. Fast workers, spiritual for religion and builds wonders so fast.

8. Romanichine

Romanichine Samurai

Definitely Catherine of Russia. Financial/Creative traits + Cossacks are a warmonger dream, much better than any Aggressive leader. She can do very well in other victory types but Cossacks/Creative are well suited for early and middle game wars.

9. Arkalius

Arkalius Warlord

I like Qin Shi Huang... Industrious is my favorite trait and financial is great for making money in the mid-late game. Plus, the Cho-Ko-Nu is a pretty awesome UU if you know how to use it well.

10. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

I make this mistake all the time. Ghandi is actually spelled Gandhi -- like that.

I'd have to go with either Saladin or Capac.

11. Suspiria

Suspiria Warlord

thankyou spelling policeman

12. Lucius Sulla

Lucius Sulla Gens Cornelia

It's the Incas' leader the one to have mysticism without being spiritual.

Myself, I have 3 favoured traits, and 2 favoured start tech. Thus, any civ getting 2+ out of 4 will get my nod. Mining is also good, for early bronze working to make for early settler chopping rush.

The traits would be creative, industrious and financial and the starting tech hunting (which grants you with an starting 2 movement points unit) and mysticism (early religion access).

This leaves the following leaders as favourite for me, ranked in preference:

1. Catherine (creative+financial+hunting! one of the best for me+great UU, only one that has 3 out of 4, it also has mining... which helps for a nice early rush)
    2. Gandhi (industrious+misticism+very good builder UU+mining!)
    3. Qin Si Huang (industrious+financial+mining)
    4. Louis XIV (Creative+Industrious)
    5. Huayna Capac (financial+mysticism+early UU)
    6. Bismarck (industrious+hunting+mining)
    7. Cyrus (Creative+hunting)
    8. Kublai Khan (Creative+hunting)
    9. Montezuma (mysticism+hunting... early exploration + early religion)

13. 秦始皇

秦始皇 Chieftain

I agree with Luciu with the first 3 .

14. lysander

lysander Warlord

I'd say it depends what kind of victory you are going for.
    Louis is tough to beat for a cultural victory.
    Victoria can support a huge empire with the money from financial and the extra health from expansionist.
    Isabella has a pretty good balance and get easily get a religion founded.
    Alexander has a good balance.
    All in all I've found every trait except for organized is very useful in certain situations. Organized doesn't get you much more money than you would have without it.

15. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

For me best traits are financial, philo and industrious. And top techs to start are wheel and mysticism. So top leaders are Saladin, Qin Shi, Gandi and Elizabeth.

16. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

Good list, I also agree with your top three in particular, although I would have Caesar somewhere on my list as well. However, the Inca are actually financial/aggressive, and Mansa Musa is the spiritual leader to start off without mysticism. I would still put him on my top ten list though because of the financial trait, and the strong UU.

At this early stage, I would probably list my top ten as
    1. Catherine
    2. Gandhi
    3. Qin Shi Huang
    4. Saladin
    5. Louis XIV
    6. Mansa Musa
    7. Bismarck
    8. Roosevelt
    9. Huyana Cupac
    10. Isabella

Honorable mention: Cyrus, Washington, Victoria

17. Lefund

Lefund Chieftain

I am not too sure I am still expermenting with the game. I would say theriortically Cyrus because of his Creative and Expansive traits. I am also fond of the industrious trait with the ever usful wonder help. :goodjob:

18. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

For my playing style I like Philosophical/Creative/Industrious. As you can see, I'm mainly peaceful with a heavy focus on culture. Therefore, my fave is Frederick.

19. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Warlord

Louis is the best. Industrious + Creative.

The only thing that would beat that would be Industrious + Philosophical, which no one gets.

20. Gromblmompf

Gromblmompf Chieftain

Kublai Khan.