Best Leader?

Bowsling

Deity
pick the best leader in conquests.
Henry, Genghis, Elizabeth, Pachcuti, Ghandi and Catherine
have been left out of it by my own discretion, if they get your vote, then post it.
please don't let the rest of the civ's quality's bias you.

The human player is the best leader.....;)

AI, sometimes they rock, sometimes they suck. They can't really adapt like the human player can.

The most trouble I've ever had comes as with Gilgamesh in my first win on Deity with the Iroquois. He can research pretty darn fast.

sorry about the poll format everyone. my internet crashed while it was moving to the part where I set up the poll. personally, i prefer osman/xerxes, smoke-jaguar, and brennus, without even counting the uu.and hammy is nice when i want a culture victory, which isn't that often anyway.

Best leader for yourself, or for the AI? If we are talking about the AI, then I think my vote goes to Hammurabi. Always a pleasant neighbor; good at research, tends to have money, tends to have a good empire, and yet is not all that hard to conquer.

They are all equal... leaders make no difference. Lately, I've ruled as Grand Philosopher Spoonwood and done just as well when I ruled as Smoke-Jaguar or Gilgamesh. Moonsinger ruled as Goddess Moonsinger.

Traits being associated with leaders is a Civ 4 thing. In Civ 3 the civilization gets the traits, the leader is just the figurehead. It might be interesting if a civs traits and leaders changed by era.

You've probably fallen into the trap that many newer players seem to BillyBones... playing the game basically only one way. Why do I say this? Because there may exist a "best" trait-UU combo given a basic playstyle, a basic map type, basic opponent roster, and a desired victory condition.

However, there exists no best trait-UU combo. The game works as far too complex and varied for that. For example, very few players would say they like Portugal's trait-UU combo. But, given the right conditions for an upper level 20k (but not Sid level) and some decent luck, they have REALLY good traits without really needing SGLs. Check some of my HoF games. So, leaving out Henry doesn't make any sense.

By the same token check lower level spaceship, diplomatic, and even 20k games HoF games. You'll find Cathy plenty of places there. Expansionist and scientific make for especially fast research when you can pop a lot of huts. Expanionist can get you a free settler and scientific works well for getting SGLs in a 20k game. On top of that, the cossack makes a good leader spawning tool for the Heroic Epic since it has blitz. Go Russia.

A team of Sid virgins deliberately selected Gandhi and his trait-UU combo for a Sid pangea game here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=108916

If I only played histographic games for score, I'd probably pick Smoke-Jaguar most to all of the time, but I'd have to dream up a really strange scenario where I'd pick the Maya over a scientific tribe in a spaceship game. I could give you many more exmaples.

So, with that said... what sort of victory condition, map type, start, etc. do you have in mind BillyBones?

I thought I saw someone say they deliberately wanted India in some other thread... I guess I was wrong there. Maybe I mixed it up with the Finally Ready for Regent game, where they deliberately selected India.

If you look at post #9, there's a reference to the start being generated by scoutsout. IIRC, it was at some level other than Sid. India was not deliberately picked (again IIRC), but the start was powerful enough that they restarted at Sid level. I could be wrong, though. I think there's a thread around here somewhere with more details. Unfortunately, I don't remember what thread it was in. If I run across it, I'll post a link.

I thought I had seen that someone else had generated the start like Aabraxan mentions. I thought that implied they picked India... I guess not.

okay, i meant which trait combination is best for your playstyle. i like japan's traits a lot, mainly because i like being very agressive, and cheaper barracks and temples makes it total overkill :king:

Top Bottom