Best live band

Phantom Lord

live by the sword
Alright, I'm probably still under the influence. Once again I saw Slayer playing live yesterday night and yes, they simply rule. Madball was fine and Soulfly was OK, but Slayer plays in it's own league.

What's the best band you've seen recently (say this summer)?

I went to an Eminem concert last week at last the minute, I didn't really like his solo stuff but D12 were pretty cool. I've never listened to a hip hop record in my life by the why.
Thats all I've heard this summer, but I'm going to a three day music festival this weekend, should hear a few good bands there.

Metallica

Matchbox 20...i've heard that DMB does a great show but never seen them...

@ Unregister: They do a million live shows a year and sells them out, so I guess they do. :p

Anyway, I've only seen one modern band live, and that was on TV - Radiohead. They are pretty good live. The nature of their music doesn't leave much room for the improvisation that I love, but they have alot of energy on stage. And Thom Yorke is such a spaz when he sings that it makes for an interesting show.

I've heard that the White Stripes are pretty good. Unfortunately, in all the chances I've had to see them (their free show in Union Square, and their pending sold-out show in Central Park) I've missed it. :cry:

yeah, i've heard they are great from a friend that has gone to 4 over the last 2 years, and hes going to another this august.

The Blue Man Group in Chicago. That was phenominal.

For those who aren't band geeks: Blue Man Group are those guys with the black clothes and blue faces from the Pentium commercials. It's actually a type of musical/visual entertainment. It was amazing.

The follow up would have to be Blast. Blast is basically a marching band show on stage. It is soooooooo coolies, but the tour is almost over and retired. :(

At this point I mostly see local bands playing in bars and tiny clubs around here. There are a lot of really good bands here and seeing them play in small venues for $5 is alot better than shelling out $60 to sit 150 rows back. I would be very surprised if more than a few of you heard of any of the bands I've seen this summer but if you must know; the best show of the summer for me was the punk band the Soviettes on the 4th of July.

Best of all time: I would have to say either Slayer or Bad Brains (during their glory days in the '80s, now they are past their prime).

I'd say either Midnight Oil (for sheer quality) or Pennywise (for intensity and enjoyment)

nirvana baby!!!

Metallica I would say, too. About 10 years ago I visited a concert, where they played all their songs twice as fast but with incredible mastery of their instruments.

Originally posted by Japanrocks12
nirvana baby!!!
Which of their shows did you go to, and what year? That must have been a blast, I'd pay a lot of money to see a ressurected Kurt and the rest of the band play.

Originally posted by Japanrocks12
nirvana baby!!!
Not the best show I've seen but it was up there. In the 7th Street Entry, a small club in Minneapolis in 1991 before Nevermind came out. It was obvious that they knew how to play a show back then. Like I said, small club shows are the best. You get to see great bands before they are known, and for a nominal fee. The duds equal out the revelations.

My fave live band has to be Amen.

I seen 'em 3 times, twice at festivals and once headlining their own tour, and they were amazing everytime.

The Best ones I have seen live(and I have seen a lot)

The Grateful Dead, AMAZING jams, improvisations, etc. They could take you places

Phish, A close second

Metallica, they ROCK

Fugazi, the $5 show, priceless

Top Bottom